VOGONS

First post, by Figgy2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a vintage pentium 3 computer with 384mb of ram I’ve been using and successfully running DOS 6.22 and windows 3.11 but some apps and stuff on windows 3.11 Run Way too fast, It’s even so fast that the windows 3.11 start up screen doesn’t even show but just directly goes in, Is there anyway I can limit it down so it doesn’t go so damn fast and I can see the boot up screen?

Reply 1 of 12, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you use a vintage version of himem.sys you will get either 64mb or 16mb as that is all it supports.

Your issue is actual cpu speed, disabling L1 & l2 should slow you down enough or there is this

Throttle Blaster

Reply 2 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! To be honest, I have barely seen the Windows 3.1 splash screen since the Pentium days anymore (586, ~75 Mhz).
I think it's a general problem on newer computers with the splash screen no-longer being visible.
I remember watching it, though, when I had my 12 MHz 286 PC, still.

To make the PC slower and make these Windows 3.1 games run at playable speeds again, there are several workarounds.
a) disable L1 and/or L2 caches in CMOS Setup Utility ("BIOS")
b) use a slow-down utility, such as Mo'Slo

A few utilities are being mentioned in this 21,5 years young thread over here: List of Slowdown Utilities (Beta)

That being said, I haven't really tried that so far. I've used emulators (PCem, DOSBox) to run timing-sensitive games (Lander 3..).
Or vintage hardware, simply. A 286 to 486 laptop with 4 MB RAM is fine for running Windows 3.1 natively.

The lack of a sound card on a vintage laptop might be an issue, though.
The speaker.drv driver works for sound effects, but not FM (a few games used MIDI and FM).

Good luck! 😀 👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 12, by Figgy2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the bios is from a dell dimension 4100 And it doesn’t seem to show that option for that cache, But here’s a screenshot of mem when I’m in DOS

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 12, by Figgy2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-04-10, 02:14:
Hi! To be honest, I have barely seen the Windows 3.1 splash screen since the Pentium days anymore (586, ~75 Mhz). I think it's […]
Show full quote

Hi! To be honest, I have barely seen the Windows 3.1 splash screen since the Pentium days anymore (586, ~75 Mhz).
I think it's a general problem on newer computers with the splash screen no-longer being visible.

To make the PC slower and make these Windows 3.1 games run at playable speeds again, there are several workarounds.

A few utilities are being mentioned in this 21,5 years young thread over here: List of Slowdown Utilities (Beta)

That being said, I haven't really tried that so far. I've used emulators (PCem, DOSBox) to run timing-sensitive games (Lander 3..).
Or vintage hardware, simply. A 286 to 486 laptop with 4 MB RAM is fine for running Windows 3.1 natively.

The speaker.drv driver works for sound effects, but not FM (a few games used MIDI and FM).

Good luck! 😀 👍

I think the reason It doesn’t show it boot is because it goes by so quickly as the resolution changes over on the monitor, I wonder if there’s a way you can configure it to delay it loading or have it go longer so you could see it

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Figgy2112 wrote on 2024-04-10, 02:44:

I tried already using himemx with the limit, but windows refuses to boot without himem.sys in the config

Windows 3.0 doesn't need himem.sys (win /r). :)

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 12, by Figgy2112

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-04-10, 02:14:
Hi! To be honest, I have barely seen the Windows 3.1 splash screen since the Pentium days anymore (586, ~75 Mhz). I think it's […]
Show full quote

Good luck! 😀 👍

I used The tool called slow down in the thread and actually had success!!, I’m able to use what I was trying to use at the correct speed and nothing goes too fast and doesn’t crash

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! I'm glad it works now! 😁

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Figgy2112 wrote on 2024-04-10, 01:02:

It’s even so fast that the windows 3.11 start up screen doesn’t even show but just directly goes in

That's a bit odd that it's not showing the splash screen. I've been running a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz w/ 2 GB of RAM with Windows for Workgroups 3.11. It always shows the splash screen before loading.

The only OS I have installed that doesn't show a splash screen is Windows Me.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 11 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-10, 23:13:
Figgy2112 wrote on 2024-04-10, 01:02:

It’s even so fast that the windows 3.11 start up screen doesn’t even show but just directly goes in

That's a bit odd that it's not showing the splash screen. I've been running a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz w/ 2 GB of RAM with Windows for Workgroups 3.11. It always shows the splash screen before loading.

The only OS I have installed that doesn't show a splash screen is Windows Me.

Hi, is networking enabled by any chance?
If so, getting the network address via DHCP might keep Windows busy just long enough to display the splash screen.

Another cause might be the SB16 MIDI driver looking for a non-existent (disabled) MPU-401.
I had this problem once in Virtual PC 2004/2007 (has incomplete SB16 emulation).

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2024-04-11, 11:43:
Hi, is networking enabled by any chance? If so, getting the network address via DHCP might keep Windows busy just long enough t […]
Show full quote

Hi, is networking enabled by any chance?
If so, getting the network address via DHCP might keep Windows busy just long enough to display the splash screen.

Another cause might be the SB16 MIDI driver looking for a non-existent (disabled) MPU-401.
I had this problem once in Virtual PC 2004/2007 (has incomplete SB16 emulation).

No networking, no SB16 driver.

Splash screen appears for about a half second before disappearing, but it is visible.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards