VOGONS

First post, by S3thOn3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there.

a couple of years ago I put together a 486 PC with an AMD DX4-100. Until now I used a 2 digit display set to 33 and 99 but it always bugged me.
Eventually I got this 3 digits display, but I can't figure out the headers layout yet.

After some probing with a multimeter I've found what should be the 5V and GND pins and it, indeed, lights up, but my finds end there.
The other two pairs of pins below the power ones don't seem to be neither for a switch or an LED.
Segments and dots layout is nothing like I've seen before.

The display was referred as K-241-12, but searching this code I couldn't find anything related to the display.

Have any of you seen this model of display before or any documentation about it?

Any hint or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some of these seven segment displays work correctly only when connected to the turbo switch/motherboard.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 2, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
S3thOn3 wrote on 2024-04-14, 10:31:

Have any of you seen this model of display before or any documentation about it?

Can't help directly, but looking at what can be seen of the tracks then I think it's going to be a switch controlled version with no input from a motherboard LED header, and no output to a case LED either. So it needs 5 pins, two for power and 3 for the low-common-high header from a SPDT switch. I've had a go a sketching out how I think the jumpers are arranged, but I've no real idea which segments they light up.

This isn't the same display as you have, but it uses 5 pins for its connections: https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/led_speed_di … 0-%20SK-188.jpg

At the moment I think you have +5 on the power connector in the right place, that should be connected to one side of the resistor. The other side of the resistor should go to the COM pin on the LED module. I think you have the Gnd of the power connector connected to the magenta circuit. There are 5 segments lit and 5 jumpers connected to what I think are the magenta pins.

Working out which 'T' goes to which LED segment can be done by trial and error, although it might be possible to take a shortcut and measure for connections between the centre of each T and the LED module pins. Those pins are labelled A-G, which will probably tell you which segment it controls but not which digit.

Word of warning when testing. There's only one common resistor for the module, which means that if only a few segments are lit then not much current is drawn, so the voltage drop across the resistor will be low, so the voltage over the LED segments will be high, and possibly high enough to damage them. To ID which T controls which segment then I'd probably put jumpers between the centre and white pin of 8 of the 'T's. That should make 8 segments light up. Then remove and replace each jumper in turn to see which segment turns off. Once those 8 are identified then use a 9th jumper to test the other Ts and see which extra segment lights up.

Attachments

• k241_PossiblePinout.jpg
    Filename
    k241_PossiblePinout.jpg
    File size
    125.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception