VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is something that I've been experimenting with for a while. I'm actually trying to get it to work reliably on Windows 98, but I've had a lot of fun with it so far on Windows XP, since it's hard enough to get a modern browser up and running. How about WebGL and indirect OpenGL rendering across the network? The 3D applications are running remotely, but the rendering is being accelerated locally on my Radeon X800.

I'm also writing this thread from the Windows XP machine (32-bit) running Chromium 102 (64-bit) across the network from a CentOS 7.9 machine that's in a closet across the room.

If you've ever tried to view vogons.org from a web browser on Windows XP, you'll understand just how impressive it is there among all of the 3D demos. 😀

winxp-x11-opengl.png
Filename
winxp-x11-opengl.png
File size
220.05 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-07-29, 05:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YouTube works great. I thought that watching the trailer for Inception would be highly appropriate. Oh, and audio works too! Listening to it on an Audigy 2 ZS.

winxp-x11-audio.png
Filename
winxp-x11-audio.png
File size
416.6 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting, got a toshiba convertible tablet with XP on it, that I'd kinda like to be a floating terminal/network computer for gruntier boxen. Not sure I'd really want local rendering though, apart from really undemanding open GL 2 or something. I was thinking I was either putting an Xserver (Which is called a server because it serves graphical facilities to programs, whereas to the programs actually running on a remote box it's a client, yeah it gives me a headache too) on it or using RDP or VNC of some flavour.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's interesting. I'd like to ask more technical details on how the linux machine is configured to get this working and how the task is balanced on the two computers. The rendering is done in the linux machine but the XP one what actually does? Connect to it as a remote server?