VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Years ago I had an RSS News Feed plugin in Firefox that I loved, not a scrolling one but it was nice anyway, and I always wondered why there never was an RSS News Feed in the style of the SimCity 3000 news ticker (well actually like news channels but that was the iteration I loved the most), smoothly scrolling with news titles in a constant motion.

Speaking to many people about the game I realized they had the same fond memories of that news ticker during gameplay. Being a thing that so many people loved, it always surprised me it was never implemented as a plugin for browsers so we could enjoy it every day, like the simpler one I described. Would it be hard to do such a thing, incorporating news titles from different websites and thematics and displaying them continuously? I always wondered why RSS Feeds aren't a thing anymore, they made me feel more connected to the internet than anything else

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

RSS is there it's just not mentioned. I have 430 feeds I track through theoldreader. Makes it easier to attempt to stay updated.

Back around when google killed their reader there was much talk about rss dying and how supposedly other things replaced it which perplexed me since none of those things actually did. Just humans being humans looking for the new shiny.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-09-27, 16:59:

RSS is there it's just not mentioned. I have 430 feeds I track through theoldreader. Makes it easier to attempt to stay updated.

Back around when google killed their reader there was much talk about rss dying and how supposedly other things replaced it which perplexed me since none of those things actually did. Just humans being humans looking for the new shiny.

So true, nothing replaced that since. Desktop users lost so many things to the new tablet/smartphone usability culture. Such a shame, I'd gladly pay to have the exact SimCity 3000 news ticker incorporated in Opera. If I had the knowledge and skills I would have designed it for sure