VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Was browsing thru Moby Games and came upon: http://www.mobygames.com/game/postal-fudge-pack

Was wondering from a collector's stand point which compilations would be nice to have that are either cheap, different, have added content not released the 1st round, or just rare to begin with.

I have a few in mind, but I'll see what people come up with first.

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 23, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ultima Collection?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 23, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my opinion LucasArts archive 1 (or any others,I love Point and click games.)

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!

Reply 5 of 23, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Flux and Xian97, both of those are VERY sought after... read - EXPENSIVE!!! 🙁

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 7 of 23, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ea released a series called the biggest names the best games
that retailed for £12.99
i have this one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biggest-Names-Best-Ga … 4/dp/B00004VVMQ

it contained
system shock 2
janes ww2 fighters
dungeon keeper 2
sportscar gt
wing commander prophecy
cricket world cup

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 23, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xian97 wrote:

I would add Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga compilation to the list
http://www.mobygames.com/game/wing-commander- … e-kilrathi-saga

Yeah, but that one ain't cheap. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 23, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I never knew the Kilrathi Saga had went up that much. I just did a quick ebay search and saw it approaching $200. When it came out I never bothered with it since I had bought each one when they originally came out.

Reply 10 of 23, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you want cheap go for a police quest collection or a space quest collection. They are fairly new and you can still find those in stores. These are two popular serieses of games that although i don't like they are very popula so kings quest and leisure suit larry. This next will be very good but will most likely be very expensive and hard to find ID Anthology. Includes the keen games and that includes keen 6 and keen 1-5 are ega versions and keen 6 is the much better looking cga version and their is a patch to turn that cga version into an ega version but i forget where so you will have to go through multiple comander keen sites to find it search comander keen. ID anthology is the best one to getbut also is expensive. pinball gold pack or The need for speed collection with nfs 2se-nfs hp2.

Reply 11 of 23, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Translated into readable English:

If you want cheap, go for a Police Quest collection or a Space Quest collection. They are fairly new and you can still find those in stores.

Kings Quest and Leisure Suit Larry are two popular series of games that are very popular, although I don't like them.

ID Anthology is very good, but will most likely be very expensive and hard to find. It includes the Keen games and that includes Keen 6. Keen 1-5 are EGA versions while Keen 6 is the much better looking CGA version. There is a patch to turn the CGA version into an EGA version, but I have forgotten where it is, so you will have to go through multiple Commander Keen sites to find it (search for Commander Keen). ID anthology is the best one to get, but is also expensive.

Pinball Gold Pack or The Need for Speed collection with NFS 2SE-NFS HP2.

Reply 12 of 23, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i thought commander keen 4-6 was cga and not just 6.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 14 of 23, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
franpa wrote:

i thought commander keen 4-6 was cga and not just 6.

All Commander Keens are in EGA, though they have a CGA graphics mode fallback because Softdisk wanted wide support.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 23, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't anyone know about the much nicer looking cga keen 6? Their is a cga keen dreams and a cga keen 5 but you will have to purchase those and their is no cga keen dreams shareware and no keen 6 cga demo only registered versions. You can't get keen 5 for free and must purchase it but good news you can download a cga keen 4 at the site.
http://www.dosclassics.com/keen/dl.php?id=of
I found the patch and some other addons for the keen games.
http://www.dosclassics.com/download/253
Cga keen 1. I did not know ID/Apogee made a cga keen 1
Cga keen 1 and cga keen 4 look better than the ega versions.

Reply 17 of 23, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't do drugs. Am i the only who likes cga keen 1 and 4 more than ega version? The cga versions look better and i play them more. You should seriously try out space quest 2 in pcjr mode which has better sounds but looks the same or the cga mode which looks the best. You can keep pushing alt,f12 an play with the colour on cga. Cga with the wonderful sounding pc speaker rules. Pc speaker sounds better than sound blaster 16. I am not crazy or anything this is just my oppinion.
Activision anthology and antari 80 classic games in one/atari anthology are other good choices.

Reply 18 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

All Commander Keens are in EGA, though they have a CGA graphics mode fallback because Softdisk wanted wide support.

If memory serves, there is no CGA Keen 1-3 because the engine exploited some technique that was impossible to use in CGA. Softdisk's insistence on having a CGA fallback was a major factor in its employees leaving to start id software. ref

And the magenta-cyan color scheme of CGA is a hideous abomination, unless perhaps you are playing on a monochrome monitor. (However, I do think that Keen's PC speaker sound effects have a certain charm that makes them superior to the Sound Blaster effects.)

Reply 19 of 23, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

See the second link and it will prove to you their is a cga keen 1 and if their is a cga keen 1 then ID/Apogee must of made a cga keen 2 and 3. I never knew ID/appogee made a cga keen 1 but the second link proves it.
Pc speaker sounds better than sound blaster and i play doom with pc speaker sounds as it sounds better though i use sound blaster for music. That's my favourite combo pc speaker for sound effects and sound blaster for music. Look at for simulator 1 and 2 and you will know cga looks great. Why don't new games have wonderful cga graphics. The cga graphics are the best.