VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, that is to YouTube I can't stop thinking about trying some Amiga stuff for the first time. I've always been curious but the hardware is expensive if you want the best experience and compatibility. I THINK I am most interested in the A500 as I haven't researched any games on the later hardware yet. For the time being I think emulation is a good starting point and I have researched a little on WHDload and Amiga Forever ROMs and such.

I really feel the best way to appreciate this and get a good experience is on a CRT. I have a super nice Gateway branded Diamondtron VX 720 hooked up to my Dell T500 with a 1.4GHz Tualatin upgrade mod, 512MB of RAM, Voodoo 2 12MB and GF4 to 4200 and Windows ME. I have a more modern core2 quad hooked up with a Dell 2007WFP at 1680x1050 that probably opens more options for emulators but prefer to play on my 9x box so I don't have to change monitors all the time.

So which emulator is best and still supports 9x? Last version numbers to support 9x would be very helpful of you have them. Is there anything drastic I'll miss by not using something XP/Vista (core2 machine runs BOTH)? Am I better off just getting a Raspberry pi 4 keyboard model and doing some sort of VGA adapter? Come on Amiga experts, give me some knowledge haha.

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Off the top of my head, UAE windows releases up to year 2005 should work good, and you should get decent performance (3 or 4 times A500 clockspeed) on that machine

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-06, 04:29:

Off the top of my head, UAE windows releases up to year 2005 should work good, and you should get decent performance (3 or 4 times A500 clockspeed) on that machine

Thank you! In researching, it seems Amiga Forever is using the W-UAE emulator in their bundle and there is a older version that will work on 9x. Would that be the better alternative?

Reply 3 of 4, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've always just used winuae (and dosuae a long long time ago).

Amiga forever is basically WinUAE and 'licensed' roms, You can use that method, and the cheapest way is buying it for android and copying the roms over. If you google cloanto you can find all the mess that is the amiga licensing and decide yourself if you wish to give them an money.