VOGONS

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sometimes, when using my laptop, I forget to plug it in (or turn the wall socket on), and I fail to notice Windows 10's less than prominent warning, so I am only reminded that the laptop is not running on mains power when it closes down due to the battery being empty.

So can anyone recommend a program that will warn me when the batter is low, and will actually do this with something really noticeable (such as a mid-screen error message), and maybe a recurring sound too, please?

And considering how much Microsoft love error messages (though MS don't believe in actually making most error messages actually meaningful, and they *still* don't allow you to copy an error message's text to a clipboard), then why is Windows 10's own batter warning so easy to miss?

Thanks for any answers.

Reply 1 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not the exact answer to your question but I set the battery icon to always show in the notification bar. Just about every other icon I set to hide. That way when I check the cock I can see the battery is doing as well.
I really hate that just about every program wants to clutter up the bar. Outlook, Teams, etc for example will typically have an icon on the task bar which shows if you have a message, why does it need another icon in the notification bar as well!?

What make is the laptop? Many laptop manufactures have software that do this. I'm not sure if you can use say Lenovo software on a HP but while looking for a screenshot found this which looks alot like the Lenovo one
https://youtu.be/cCgxOsbRm1Q

Reply 2 of 8, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2023-05-03, 09:31:

Not the exact answer to your question but I set the battery icon to always show in the notification bar. Just about every other icon I set to hide. That way when I check the cock I can see the battery is doing as well.

The flaw there is that I am not at all observant (other people say I'm just thick...). The Windows 10 battery options are set to show it's warning, but when I am doing something I can be very narrow sighted, which is why I was hoping for a third party program that would give me a message that even I would notice.

I really hate that just about every program wants to clutter up the bar. Outlook, Teams, etc for example will typically have an icon on the task bar which shows if you have a message, why does it need another icon in the notification bar as well!?

Yep. If the multiple universe theory is correct, then in one universe Microsoft might actually release Windows versions that actually only add or change things that people want, as opposed to here, where they always think "What stuff do we want to add or change with the new OS?" instead of "What stuff would the users like us to add or change about the OS?".

What make is the laptop? Many laptop manufactures have software that do this. I'm not sure if you can use say Lenovo software on a HP but while looking for a screenshot found this which looks alot like the Lenovo one
https://youtu.be/cCgxOsbRm1Q

That's a good idea. The laptop is an Acer Aspire, but I can't find an official Acer program that does what I want.

Reply 3 of 8, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a program that does what I want. It's called BatteryDeley, and can be downloaded from:

https://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/37345- … -battery-alert/

It can be set to trigger the alert at multiple amounts of battery power, and then use default or user-provided sounds and images to get your attention. and so far it's working great.

Strangely it doesn't seem to have have an option for the program to start when you start up your laptop (though maybe the option might be there and I just can't find it), so I had to make a shortcut from the program's .EXE file to Windows 10's STARTUP folder:

"Open Run command box by pressing Windows logo + R keys. In the Run command field, type shell:startup and then press Enter key to open Startup folder. Copy and paste the app shortcut from the desktop to this Startup folder and the app is added to startup"

Found via Google.

Reply 4 of 8, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote on 2023-05-03, 00:14:

And considering how much Microsoft love error messages (though MS don't believe in actually making most error messages actually meaningful, and they *still* don't allow you to copy an error message's text to a clipboard), then why is Windows 10's own batter warning so easy to miss?

Do you not know that the Windows default error dialogue box allows for copying? Just press CTRL-C with the window active, you don't have to select any text and Windows will dump the Window contents into the clipboard like so:

[Window Title]
aaaaaaaa

[Content]
Windows cannot find 'aaaaaaaa'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

I've run into very few error messages where copy does not work.

Reply 5 of 8, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2023-05-08, 08:47:

Do you not know that the Windows default error dialogue box allows for copying? Just press CTRL-C with the window active, you don't have to select any text and Windows will dump the Window contents into the clipboard like so:

I've run into very few error messages where copy does not work.

Seriously? I've never heard of that before, and I know quite a few others who obviously didn't, as they never told me when I (or they) complained about not being able to copy and paste Windows error messages.

I've just tried it, and it worked on one of the two errors that I deliberately forced. So, it only works some of the time, and Microsoft didn't exactly publicize the shortcut's existence (such as mentioning it in the error box, or even having a clickable "Copy the error text to the clipboard" button in the error box? Typical Microsoft...

Still, it's better than nothing, so thanks for letting me know about it, ZellSF, mate.

Reply 6 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you ever look at the "advanced power settings" in windows 10 settings / Power&Sleep / Additional Power Settings / Change plan / Change advanced power settings / Battery

there's options for at which percent windows gives a notification (critical / low ) and which action it should take.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 8, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2023-05-08, 21:49:

Did you ever look at the "advanced power settings" in windows 10 settings / Power&Sleep / Additional Power Settings / Change plan / Change advanced power settings / Battery

there's options for at which percent windows gives a notification (critical / low ) and which action it should take.

Yes, thanks, but when using that feature, then when it tried to warn me about the low battery (via the beep and the tiny message) I most often didn't notice it, , so I wouldn't realize that I hadn't plugged the laptop into the wall (until the battery died and the laptop shut down).

The third party program gives a notification that is much more noticeable and difficult to miss. It displays an image (that you can change, if you like) that's too large for even me to miss, and you can change the warning sound to any sound file (in .wav format) that you choose. And it's free!