VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RockmanZ3R0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,
Unsure if this is the correct section for this but,

I grabbed a beige tower system off eBay and I realized very quickly that I do not remember a thing about 386, DOS era computers. I wanted to recreate my childhood PC based off a list of parts i found from the sales receipt but this tower has some decent stuff in it i think and I want to try it out first before scrapping the insides. The first hurdle I have is that it does not have a hard drive. I tried to look for any kind of cable that matched online pictures but all I can deduce is that it must be IDE, but I do not see a cable anywhere from the motherboard that helps this conclusion. I also do not know what i am looking for for any kind of "header"? The next hurdle is figuring out how to install DOS and then eventually windows 3.1/3.2 if the system can handle it.

Here is what I have found out so far though about the components,
it has a

1mb TSENG ET4000AX video card,
intel 386 dx processor,
Sound Blaster 1.0 ?CT1310?
Goldstar RAM, size unknown
a generic tape drive and a generic CD-ROM
I need to purchase a floppy drive both 3 and 5" but I assume the 3" will be first ideally.

I cannot find any markings on the board that would help me identify it either or this post might not have been necessary. As it is I feel rather clueless for even asking. I attached as many pictures as possible to help but I know it's about as helpful as me looking in the thing and scratching my head.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 5, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately you really need to dismantle it and get that barrel battery off the board (blue, next to the keyboard port) before it corrodes the board if it has not already done so, as at this point all such batteries leak.

The CD-ROM plugs into the sound card. It could be a proprietary interface and therefore not generic at all. If it's proprietary (pre-ATAPI and therefore not an "IDE" CD-ROM) you won't be able to use the generic Oakcdrom.sys and will need the right driver for it, when the time comes. There was a boot disk called the CD-ROM God with many such drivers.

It looks ready to go for IDE hard drive. The connectors for IDE and floppy are on the I/O card, the card in this system closest to the power supply. The headers are on there. There are no such connectors directly on a generic AT motherboard at this stage. The previous owner must have stripped both the floppy/hard drives and their ribbon cables from the machine.

Reply 2 of 5, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to look into using compact flash or SD card storage. Old HDDs are prone to failure and are getting harder to track down. With CF or SD storage, you can transfer files on a modern computer and you can easily swap out cards if you want to try something new without losing your current setup. Moreover, it's cheap and pretty reliable.

This stuff is covered here if you are interested:

https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Storage# … Retro_Computers

Reply 4 of 5, by RockmanZ3R0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hadn't thought about the battery so I'm glad you caught that. Fortunately i have a soldering kit to do so 🤣. It looks like there's a card that the cd-rom plugs into and that has a 3.5mm on the back to it so I am going to assume then I will need the god cdrom and Im glad such thing exists 🤣.

Compact flash sounds like a good plan too, I thought about it but i really wanted that "authentic" feel of an old platter drive but frankly what good is getting the feel if I lose everything in a month because of failure.
I'll tackle the battery first and get the insides nice and clean before I attempt the flash. If it has corroded things it might not even be worth it to keep that mobo if too damaged.

thanks a ton everyone for your help this far!

Reply 5 of 5, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your tape drive is floppy based, you cannot connect both 3.5" and 5.25" floppy at the same time.
However, it is unlikely your tape drive ever will be used.
If you get at 5.25" floppy, it hopefully won't scratch the disks.

Can you make a picture of the CDROM interface card please?