VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Matsilagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey y'all!

After some interest eons ago on LeiLei's work (and some misunderstandments, i was young back then, i think 16 years old), i decided to "start over" and 2 years ago, asked the nGlide creator, for the sourcecode of his 3DFX filter implementation on nGlide so i could port it to ReShade. While the native implementation didn't go forward at all (he needed a way to implement it on a limited DX9 pipeline with not much registers and whatnot, but it wasn't possible in the end), i still kept the code and made it work on ReShade.

With the recent release of the Quake 2 Remaster, i recently sparked an interest on those again, and i was trying to implement the 4x1 linear (4-pass) filter on the first series of Voodoo GPUs.

Being someone born in 1997, i never had a 3DFX PC for myself, and even if i did, my memories were blurry, so i ask for anyone that has knowledge on how it works to guide me.

Currently, this is the code i have, based on the original nGlide implementation and a mix of what i've read and the previous attempts by leilei (note that im not too great with HLSL, so it might and probably WILL BE wrong), along with a total of 2 screens of Quake 2 Remaster running with it.

Code: https://github.com/Matsilagi/RSRetroArch/blob … /nGlide_3DFX.fx

Screenshots (Pic 1 is supposed to mimic the first Voodoo, and the Pic 2 is the Voodoo 2 lookalike, which is also the native / unmodified nGlide implementation):
quake2ex_steam_2023-09-14_21-28-30.png
quake2ex_steam_2023-09-14_21-28-35.png

To use it with ReShade, download it and install as normal, and then place the nGlide_3DFX.fx file in the ReShade's shaders folder. I also recommend running it on a low res (640x480 or 800x600) so it is noticeable.

Before it happens: Yes, i know the video filter ain't the only part of it. But the RAMDAC does give a nice feeling which if coupled with the other stuff that composes a 3DFX emulation, looks pretty decent on Glide-era games.

Im also free to clear any sort of question or comment! As i said, my history with Vogons, that 3DFX shader and stuff in general isn't the smoothest one, hell, i even got blocked on Social Networks and steam despite little to no interaction. But each to their own.

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No idea what the problems were before, but AFAICT you are now following the GPL 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 2, by Matsilagi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2023-09-18, 19:58:

No idea what the problems were before, but AFAICT you are now following the GPL 😀

Oh, that was the issue?

I do have the permission to use the code and it was given to me with no licensing or anything involved. So im pretty sure the GPL or any other liberal license applies.