VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I made new search and eventually found a thread about slow usb using windows 10 and any ivy bridge that fits what I have experienced with slow usb and the current HP Z220 computer. Z220 is a workstation with Xeon E3-1280 V2 which is a Ivy Bridge.

The reason: Windows 10 dropped USB 3 support and ran at USB 2 mode even on those, huh? That nice of you Microsoft to promote USB 3 on Windows 10 and Ivy Bridge supports USB 3 but no to both. If you want USB 3 you have to fall back to windows 7. No dice!

This confirms what I see with Haswell based HP Elitedesk 800 G1 which ran at USB 3 mode correctly with windows 10.

This means, you have no choice is to use 7 or XP with any Ivy bridge to run USB 3 speed but this is moot point, both too old and later generations of computers are inexpensive anyway. Just buy a cheap quality business PC, specifically HP for routine daily computing but has to be Haswell or later computer for the windows 10, if you intend to keep saving up for a windows 11 supported new computer.

PS: It is already a moot point as Microsoft also recently disabled the COA 7 and 8 key activations on windows 11 last week. Good reason for this, These older computers that were on older windows are not supported anyway since these older computers does not have TPM 2.0 and Coffee Lake.

Do not tell me this is dumb. There is a good reason for these, this is was caused by hackers issues several years ago, as these cannot be protected even with anti-malware software as these issues was in the hardware had holes. The later processors after this was 2 to 3 generations later had this holes fixed in silicon hence Microsoft insisting you go to 11 at this point.

Also, software eventually drop support for windows 10 as well. Especially these installers will only install on 11, and we have to keep computers and windows current here and at my work as well.

In meantime, we can still do vintage stuff with older computers anyway for fun or for a need when someone needs something fixed is still using old computer to run expensive machines.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 9, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-01, 17:59:

The reason: Windows 10 dropped USB 3 support and ran at USB 2 mode even on those, huh? That nice of you Microsoft to promote USB 3 on Windows 10 and Ivy Bridge supports USB 3 but no to both. If you want USB 3 you have to fall back to windows 7. No dice!

This means, you have no choice is to use 7 or XP with any Ivy bridge to run USB 3 speed

Nonsense. I've got a 3570k with a Z77 mobo and am getting close to max USB3 speed on some external drives.

Reply 3 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was prior to later updates on Win 10 which removed the usb 3.0 support on ivy bridge chipsets. Anyone who forced the usb 3.0 drivers after this kept uninstalling itself every time windows booted.
This is partially due to Intel removed this support.

This is all noted in the forum on HP.

Windows 10 does support usb 3.0 speeds with the Haswell or later computers. Which I can confirm is working great, since I have one at work.

Cheers,

Reply 4 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feda wrote on 2023-10-02, 23:16:
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-01, 17:59:

This means, you have no choice is to use 7 or XP with any Ivy bridge to run USB 3 speed

Nonsense. I've got a 3570k with a Z77 mobo and am getting close to max USB3 speed on some external drives.

Is your windows 1o is 2H22 with all updates?

Cheers,

Reply 5 of 9, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yup.
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.3448

No USB3 speed problems here.

What "forum on HP"? Can you link the thread?
Maybe your particular HP computer has driver issues because HP is dumb and uses weird proprietary motherboards.

Reply 6 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feda wrote on 2023-10-03, 23:34:
Yup. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.3448 […]
Show full quote

Yup.
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.3448

No USB3 speed problems here.

What "forum on HP"? Can you link the thread?
Maybe your particular HP computer has driver issues because HP is dumb and uses weird proprietary motherboards.

I cite sources carefully, don't take it as other way.

Here's this, responses and final post at the bottom clarifies this issue I am seeing.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Wo … 20/td-p/5606636

Second, your statements is false. HP used parts same way as others do and is usually intel chipsets. Even windows 10 use intel, OEM and microsoft drivers. Dell, Lenovo, etc same way and you can find boards made by Asus, etc.
By the way Z220 machine (not just small one) I was talking about is based on intel C216 chipset which is entry workstation class for Xeon E3-xxxx V2 CPU and also can take any Ivy bridge cpus: pentium, i3, i5, i7.

PS: Starting with sandy bridge CPUs, also the Nehalem, CPUs includes northbridge. What left is specific southbridge is chosen for specific models and feature are soldered onto the motherboard which take care of i/o stuff: storage, extra x4 PCIe, LAN and misc stuff, including USB ports.

Cheers,

Reply 7 of 9, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-10-04, 23:29:

I cite sources carefully, don't take it as other way.

Here's this, responses and final post at the bottom clarifies this issue I am seeing.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Wo … 20/td-p/5606636

Yeah, that looks like a problem with that particular HP machine, not "all" Ivy Bridge chipsets as you claim. Like I said, my drives are reaching USB3 speeds. W10 has not "dropped USB3 support", that's ridiculous.

Reply 8 of 9, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

more specifically a Panther Point problem, considering it's the C216 chipset, not an ivy bridge problem.
Especially since the forumpost quoted was started in 2016 and has nothing really to do with the latest windows 10 version available.
anyway, glad you fixed your problem.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 9, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2023-10-05, 13:15:

more specifically a Panther Point problem, considering it's the C216 chipset, not an ivy bridge problem.
Especially since the forumpost quoted was started in 2016 and has nothing really to do with the latest windows 10 version available.
anyway, glad you fixed your problem.

Correct. Thank you, panther point chipsets.

No, yes it is true this HP thread refers to both older versions of windows 10 and current, updated windows 10 specifically for panther point chipsets that intel refers as 7 series chipsets. Mine does not fix the issue due to updates that windows 10 did for over time, used to work on win 10 then intel and microsoft removed this usb 3 support. The forum respondents said tried to force the usb 3 support driver back in, then it got removed again on next reboot.

When I refer to ivy bridge chipsets, panther point, was talking about the spectrum of panther point chipsets, that ivy bridge processors uses.

Ivy bridge panther point chipsets was introduced for first time to support USB 3.0 back then that was 2012.

Cheers,