Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah!

1. Install v1.70 update.
2. Run the game in XP compatibility mode.
3. Turn off hardware acceleration in the in-game menu.
4. Bump the res to 1024x768 in the in-game menu.
5. Play the game!

If you don't turn off hardware acceleration then you may experience graphics corruption in the game. (In my case the upper part of the screen wasn't visible.

There are switches that you can specify to make the graphics prettier for software mode in the Readme.txt if you wish to use them.

I put all of the above in my compatibility list. (not the one I uploaded today though).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about running it with GLide wrapper? Does it work too?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 6, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dungeon keeper 2 only use direct 3d i think.

to bad that its only playable in software mode...
on what graphic card did you tested it dosfreak and does the "-32biteverything" switch make any difference with HW acceleration enabled?
and tryed forced antialiasing modes with it?

could be a graphic card/driver problem ...but it sounds really like vista is the culprit.

btw, did someone ever get EMBM working in dungeon keeper 2?

sysprofile.png

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't believe DK2 supports Glide but I could be wrong.

In the documentation there is mention of software mode and that's what your doing when you turn off hardware acceleration.

This was tested on a Intel 945gm graphics chipset on a Dell D520 laptop with WDDM video drivers. Haven't tried it with my Geforce 8800GTS but I don't see any reason for it not to work.

-32bit everything only applies to software mode I believe.

You can't use AA unles your using D3D of course which we can't do with DK2 and Vista..at least on the video cards I've tested so far.

I'll see if I can install XP/2003 XDDM 64bit drivers in Vista 64bit but I'm not sure if you can do that. I know you can install XP/2003 XDDM video drivers in 32bit Vista but I haven't tried that with 64bit Vista yet. (and DK2 works in Vista 32bit with XDDM drivers)

I doubt it will work since the drivers have to be signed and I'm not sure if XP/2003 64bit signed drivers will work in Vista 64bit and I really don't feel like jumping through hoops to install unsigned non-vista video drivers.....

IIRC, I think bump mapping only took effect on lava or something like that. Mabye I was blind but I didn't see much difference playing the game when I had a Matrox G400 (or more likely I never enabled the feature....).

Reply 5 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This site mentions the same issue:
http://www.vistagamedoctor.com/Game.aspx?GameId=112

They don't specify wether they are using XDDM or WDDM drivers so they are likely using WDDM drivers.

Looking more and more like a WDDM issue. Confirms my stance on maintaining 2 lists for XDDM/WDDM for Vista on my list.

/Duke Damn, I'm good.

Reply 6 of 6, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ah ok i see.
i asked for the "-32biteverything" because it helped me to avoid graphic corruptions in the past and iam sure it can be used in HW mode. but this should not be the problem (like you said) in your case. on the other side, the intel GMAs are known to have not the best compatibility.

IIRC, I think bump mapping only took effect on lava or something like that...

yup thats right. after doing some search on the net, it seems that dungeon keeper 2 supports only the matrox G400 for EMBM and no other card. trying to activate it on newer cards (geforce 3 and up) makes no difference. damn...

anyway, thanks for the info and good luck with your list.

sysprofile.png