VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What are the numbers for on the top row? 1-10-100-1000-10000-100000-1M-10M-100M
When I press any of these keys they just push the carriage right a little without doing anything else. I tried multiple combinations but these keys always do the same thing, move the carriage by a certain amount, sometimes violently all the way to the end.
Could someone explain the functions of these keys?

Attachments

• 20231220_203528.jpg
    Filename
    20231220_203528.jpg
    File size
    1.44 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In german they are called "Dezimaltabulator".
It is a function to fill in numbers in a spreadsheet where all numbers have to end at the same point on the right side.
the keys sets back the carriage the places the number will have...

I dont know exactly how to explain it 😁

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 2 of 3, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much, I'll put the translated script here, maybe someone can understand it better than me. 😁

"Decimal tabulator: The decimal tabulator is a further development of the tabulator (see above), with which it is usually used in addition. It allows numbers to be written one below the other in the correct positions and for the decimal separator (a comma in German, a point in English) to be placed one below the other in the same column. There is a decimal tab key for 1s, 10s, 100s, 1000s, 10,000s and 100,000s (even up to 100 million on some models).[3] For example, if you want to write the number 12,345.67 under the number 678.90, you usually set the tab stop to the ones position and move to the position for 678.90 with the 100 tab. The car now comes to a stop exactly at the position for the 6. In the second line you then press the 10,000 tab, which causes the car to stop at the 10,000 position."

Reply 3 of 3, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's exactly what DerBaum said, it repositions the carriage a certain number of characters to type numbers correctly aligned. Nothing you can't do manually, but it's difficult to calculate empty spaces by eye.

From the translated text it appears that you preset your tab to stop at the 1's, the number just before the decimal point. From there and depending on the number you want to write, you press a button to move back. For example if the number you want to write is in the hundreds, meaning that it has 3 digits and is between 100-999, you press button "100" to move 2 positions back (you are already in the position for the 3rd digit). This way you don't need to pre-calculate your position before you start typing the number. I'm not sure it works exactly like that on this specific typewriter but I hope you got the idea.