VOGONS

Common searches

Amiga - better graphics because of worse monitors?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 61, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-19, 14:02:
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-04-19, 13:57:
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-19, 07:30:

A1000 has color composite out.

I did not know this. I did a little research and it seems not all 1000s have color composite, there is a lot of discussion about this. However I did find something else I didn't know which is the 600 and 1200 had color composite out.

If you had an Amiga monitor though there was no reason to run composite video, anything you would have seen would have been rgb out on those from an amiga.

It kind of mattered if you did not own a monitor though, color composite was still lightyears better than color RF.. That said, for an A500 you needed the A520 regardless, which also has color composite out. It was a strange design decision for the A500/2000 that I will never understand. I suppose it was probably done to allow using monochrome monitors at high resolutions. I mean, the A500 has particularly sharp Composite output even though it is B&W. I would think it would look very crisp and sharp in 640x400 interlaced mode on such a monitor, so you could do coding or word processing with it. The issue is, neither the A500 nor the A2000 were marketed as such machines...

Absolutely I wasn't saying that no one used the composite that didn't have a monitor, just that for the topic of this thread discussing monitors, if you saw an amiga with an era appropriate commodore monitor it wasn't running through the composite.

Further about the A520 it might also depend if your A1000 had the appropriate Agnus to do EHB mode, otherwise you would get B&W also through that device, which seems really weird to me but I just saw a discussion on that as well, though I don't have the ability to verify any of it.

Reply 61 of 61, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

.. to give an idea about which type of vintage 14" VGA monitors I was thinking about.

1980s monitors (1987):
- PACOM CVP-5468 LR (0.4mm?)
Members of that era are hard to identify

Early 1990s monitors (1994 or before):
- AOC CM-325 (0.28mm, made 1990?)
- Highscreen SV 28/3 (0.28mm)
- Compaq Presario 425 (0.28mm)
- Amstrad Mega PC Monitor (0.28mm)
Re: Amstrad Mega PC

^Edit: My bad, the advertisement with the original Mega PC monitor can be seen here.

Still love that lovely image of Gateway, though! 😁

The 0.28mm models are almost 0.3mm already.
Much less pixelated than 0.21mm to 0.24mm models, I'd say.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//