VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by aeeaan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

I'm currently working on 2 windows 98 retro builds. One is era-appropriate, and the other isn't. For the non-appropriate build, I'm trying to decide if I can live without bay devices such as an optical drive and a floppy/floppy emulator. It's a pentium 4 MATX board and if I forgo the bay devices, I can get a more compact case than the standard matx, which is very appealing to me. I just can't decide if I'm going to regret depending fully on my network and cdrom emulators.

Any thoughts? Anyone use a build without traditional bay devices? Pentium 4 is late enough where I can boot off of USB floppy and optical drives, but if I'm going to end up having the external drives hooked up all the time, it probably makes more sense to stick with bay devices.

Reply 1 of 7, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you will be gaming on it, a dvd drive is essential Though you could have an external one. I Havent even one bay free on my modern PC because I watch blu rays on it.

Reply 2 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought above forgoing optimal media in my own P4 build. But after researching some of the limitations of ISO mounting re: CD audio, I decided to stick with optical media.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 7, by aeeaan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-05-10, 20:29:

I thought above forgoing optimal media in my own P4 build. But after researching some of the limitations of ISO mounting re: CD audio, I decided to stick with optical media.

Oh, interesting. Would this audio be played over the analog cable from optical to sound card? ...it's been a while since I've used '98, I don't remember how everything worked yet.

Reply 4 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aeeaan wrote on 2024-05-10, 21:04:

Oh, interesting. Would this audio be played over the analog cable from optical to sound card? ...it's been a while since I've used '98, I don't remember how everything worked yet.

Yes, it's the CD audio that is played via that analog cable.

From what I remember researching, it sounded like it could be hit or miss whether games could play back CD audio from an ISO file. I decided to err on the side of caution and stick with an optical drive.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally while all my PC's have a optical drive I hardly use it. Most my games don't use CD audio and the few that do I go without.
however while not perfect you can get cd audio over DaemonTools
DaemonTools No CD Audio

Reply 6 of 7, by aeeaan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, I'll check out the thread.

Right after I started this thread, I found what I think is a good compromise case. Fractal Design Pop, it has hidden 5.25 bay suitable for occasional use and still looks like a modern trendy case. I imagine modern trendy cases aren't a big desire around here, but it's nice to have that option should I choose to not go with something more traditional.

Reply 7 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fractal Designs makes good stuff. They're reasonably popular around here. One of the few modern case manufacturers that has cases with 5.25 bays.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build