VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hello all - i'm in the process of giving away 2 very old computers (now that i have dosbox, vpc, and vmware player to run all my old games) and i have several old pc games for dos that come on 3.5-inch and 5.25-inch floppies that i've made images of these floppies using a program called winimage (but haven't yet extracted their contents; will do that later) and now i'm wondering if i should hold on to these game floppy diskettes or include them in the gift (gift is these 2 computers; 1 runs Dos/win 3.11, and the other runs win 95) that i'm giving to my girlfriend's teenaged kids?

Reply 2 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you keep the games on your machines, then giving away the disks is likely to breach the copyright. Same goes for installing operating systems or other software on a machine you sell or give away, if you keep the disks. At least, that's my understanding.

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

(gift is these 2 computers; 1 runs Dos/win 3.11, and the other runs win 95) that i'm giving to my girlfriend's teenaged kids?

First I question this gift... Windows95 is kind of allright, but ... oh well... it's not even supported anymore. But that is your shoe 😀
But keep the Floppies, I'm sure that they will quicly outgrow those ancient machines and those floppies will not be treated well. Keep them or throw them right away...
Look at ebay, they might be even worth something...
Not to mention the questionable ethics, if you keep the images but give away the real copy... this way you are keeping an illegal copy...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 8, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, Dominus - I had an uneasy feeling about giving the kids these floppies, and my heart told me that I should hold onto them - so as a result I'm going to keep them.

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Good, and now think about it whether you do those teens a favor with Dos/Win31/Windows95 machines...
They will not be able to run anything (I mean games) that's younger than 2-3 years on those machines and these OS' that were released when they were born...
It's like giving a teenager in the year 1996 a Commodore 64...

And don't get me wrong, I like C64 and I was one of those that enjoyed Windows 3.x on Dosbox again... but... poor kids...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 8, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of DOS games for the Packard-Bell (Stonekeep, King's Quest 6, a box containing a pack of DOS games, and Wing Commander 2) computer and MS Flight Simulator 98 (definately) as well as several other Windows 95 games I might have that I'm giving the kids come Sunday when I go to the birthday party at their mom's house.

Reply 8 of 8, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
temptingthelure wrote:

Could you list all the games you have? I might be interested in some of them. Buying them of course. 😀

We'll see. If my girlfriend's kids don't want them, I'll let you know either way. My list of older DOS/win 95 games: Nam, Star Trek DS9: Harbinger, Star Trek: Generations, Star Crusader. These I'm going to see if my girlfriend's kids want.

Plus, I also have some newer (win 98/2000/me/xp games) ones you might be interested in, temptingthelure. Offhand these are: The Sims, Viet Nam Black Ops, Viet Nam Special Assignment, Braveheart, Viet Cong, Space Colony. I have to check my give-away boxes to see what other titles I may have. I also have strategy guides for some of these games, but they will be sold extra apart from their corresponding games. 😎 😀