Common searches

'90s things missed

Topic actions

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No nonsense launchers comprised of a few buttons and one image on a simple window, and a easy way to configure, with no need to suddenly go on the net or go through at least 7 processes to show up. These were popular in 1995-1998 but they've been in a strong decline since Volition made their launchers fancy.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3dfx. 🙁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

3dfx. 🙁

Good riddance.

Even if they had the performance cards in the '90s I always think of them as a jerk company, with Glide API exclusivity, anti-wrapper stance, and aggressive SEGA style PR.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 20, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Even if they had the performance cards in the '90s I always think of them as a jerk company, with Glide API exclusivity, anti-wrapper stance, and aggressive SEGA style PR.

When 3dfx first started there was no standard 3d API yet. Their only initial choice was a proprietary API. Later, when Carmack released glQuake with OpenGL support, 3dfx did help somewhat with a gl mini port. I do not recall them ever being jerks about glide being the be-all-end-all solution.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 4 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember that 3dfx guys were ex SGI guys. Glide and OpenGL aren't exactly completely dissimilar. The problem was that back then OpenGL wasn't really ideal for games. The cheap game cards were way too basic to support much of the library, and that wasn't even unreasonable because OpenGL was meant for CAD-like apps. Hell even the miniGL, with its tiny subset, was too much for most of the crap cards of the day. 😁

Proprietary API wars suck. The consumer is the one who loses every time with that stuff. It's reminiscent of the stupid modern physics hardware war.

Reply 6 of 20, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 I thought it was the lawnmower man

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 7 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

3dfx. 🙁

Good riddance.

Even if they had the performance cards in the '90s I always think of them as a jerk company,

Oh, I never love a company --not even 3dfx. It is the products, not the company.

Of course, even the products started losing their grounds after Voodoo2, but whenever a game supports both GLide and Direct3D, it always looks better in GLide. Furthermore, many GLide games like Jane's Longbow and The Elder Scrolls: Red Guard also happen to have good gameplay, hence my endless hunting of 3dfx hardware on ebay.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 8 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, back to the topic, another thing I miss from the 90s is MIDI music; more exactly, games with MIDI music that changes dynamically according to the action. Wing Commander is probably the most prominent example of this, TIE Fighter is another.

Reply 11 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having a nice PC before it was common to own a computer. I blame the common idiot for the death of adventure games.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 20, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I blame the common idiot for the death of adventure games.

And wargames, simulations, puzzles, and FPSes with actual depth... Tom Clancy's name is as soft as GI Joe nowadays.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The re-release of CD Talkie versions of previous floppy-based adventure games for DOS, most notably by Sierra On-Line and Lucasarts.

I really wish some talented people will take up the challenge and create an authentic voice-over for the Monkey Island 2 : Le Chuck's Revenge.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, why didn't I think about it on the first place?

You know what I really miss from the 90s? Game manuals! Thick, chunky, meaty game manuals, filled with disbelief-suspending materials, and supplemented with colorful game maps and other feelies.

I really miss you, Origin.

Reply 15 of 20, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know what I really miss from the 90s? Game manuals!

Yeah those manuals added a ton of atmosphere to the game experience. It was even more important back then because the actual games themselves were rather simplistic and the manuals really added a lot of "brain candy" to fuel the imagination.

I think it also said something about the people making the games. They loved the little details about their universes.

You can still find this sort of thing today sometimes. Oblivion's CE came with a rather fascinating little historical book, the cool Imperial coin, and a map-poster. I don't usually buy CEs though. Most of today's games aren't worth it IMO. Oh and with World in Conflict they packed in a History Channel documentary about the Berlin wall and this wasn't a collector's edition at all. That impressed me.

Reply 16 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

You know what I really miss from the 90s? Game manuals!

Yeah those manuals added a ton of atmosphere to the game experience. It was even more important back then because the actual games themselves were rather simplistic and the manuals really added a lot of "brain candy" to fuel the imagination.

The thing I love about Origin is that they kept the "manual and feelie tradition" even after graphics and sound got better. Anyone remember the full-color tabloid in Crusader: No Regret?

Reply 18 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good old-fashioned DOS shells! Not command prompts, but straightforward menu programs. Pick what you want to run from the list and away you go. No desktops, no Explorer, no System Tray, no Start Menu.

I'm not sure if such simplicity could possibly work with today's systems anymore; maybe it's just the simplicity I miss.

Reply 19 of 20, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CRT Monitors, FM Synthesis, IBM Model M Keyboards, VGA graphics, 2D graphical adventures, Sierra Online, LucasArts, Origin, Roland GM/GS Modules and Roland MT-32 & CM series.