VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-edit, Resolved! Check out post 4!

PC 1: HTPC
PC 2: Office Desktop

Mission: To leave HTPC 'on' 24/7, allow it to idle to S3 (suspend to ram) when not in use, but also allow it to WOL (wake on lan) via a magic packet request from the Office Desktop so I can transfer files to it when needed.

Accomplishments so far:
1) HTPC successfully idles to S3 when it's the only computer that's been turned on (Office Desktop is off)
2) Office Desktop can successfully WOL the HTPC

Issue:
Once I've WOL'd into the HTPC, the HTPC will not idle back to S3. It'll turn off the display, the the fans are still running.

I'm guessing I need the HTPC to someone realize that even though there is a connection between the HTPC and the Desktop, that connection can be severed as it is no longer needed.

Is there a way for the HTPC to 'time out' or have I not setup something correctly?

I guess my last resort is to figure out a way to "SOL", send a Sleep request over the LAN to the HTPC to put it back to sleep after I've WOL'd it???

TIA (Thanks in Advance!!! :woot: )

Oh and yeah, Mobo is a ZOTAC GF9300-A-E LGA 775: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … 0-019-_-Product OS is Win7

Last edited by Mike 01Hawk on 2010-03-02, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running CMD as administrator and then running: "powercfg -requests"

I get:

DISPLAY: None. […]
Show full quote

DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] \FileSystem\srvnet
An active remote client has recently sent requests to this machine.

AWAYMODE:
None.

So that's my problem, I need to make my remote client (my office desktop) go 'inactive'

Reply 3 of 3, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I'll be! It's resolved!!!

Last night I was transferring some files to the HTPC. Normally I manually turn it off after I've finished transferring. Well, last night I went to have dinner instead. I came back an hour later and the PC was in S3 mode, fans weren't spinning!!!

I was like WTF? So I replicated the steps several times. Come to find out, the HTPC will try several times to go into S3 mode!!! So, I'd finish a transfer, or streaming and the HTPC wouldn't initially go to sleep, but then after around 10 min or so.. BOOM... it went to sleep!

Groovy!!!