VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadge … bid=708Q_oZEhgl

Which old game would you like to see remade?

Reply 1 of 22, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alien Legacy comes to mind. I haven't finished it because I tend to get bored half way through but it has a lot of potential if some quirks in it were fixed and an improved menu system were added for convenience.

Corridor 7 would be a great game to fix some buggy behavior and update to modern graphics. As would Solar Winds.

Cyclones looked like a game with a lot to offer but the controls kept me from playing past a few levels.

The Dark Seed series is one of my favorites. I'd like to see a revamp so the 2 games fit together better and a 3rd game added.

Reply 3 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Covert Action and Sword of Samurai.

Task Force 1942.

Strike Commander with pixel-shaded graphics, but still retains all the "cartoonish look" and vivid colors of the original. Also, I'd like to see additional campaigns and storylines, and probably more robust mercenary management option.

Ultima I, II, III with 3D engines like that of Neverwinter Nights or Dungeon Siege. Also, I like party members who are smart enough to fight on their own. Regardless whether the combat engine is real-time or turn-based, I just want to concentrate in controlling the Avatar, with party members that smart enough to fight according to pre-defined tactics I give them (Ultima VII has this feature, but the execution leaves much to be desired).

TIE Fighter. Please, please make more stories for TIE Fighter, like Thrawn campaign in the Unknown Regions (pre Heir To The Empire), Heir To The Empire campaign itself, or maybe Dark Empire. And please make atmospheric missions like that of the Bespin scene in The Empire Strikes Back. I'd also love to have a Yuuhzan Vong campaign where the player, as a TIE pilot of the Imperial Remnants, battles Yuuhzan Vong's Corralskippers and Worldships in an uneasy cooperation with the New Republic.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Microprose had a group of games called the Command Series that consisted of Crusade in Europe, Decision in the Desert and Conflict in Vietnam. I can't even remember how many hours I have in those games. I would love to see them re-released either in their original form or updated for modern systems.

Reply 5 of 22, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But all you can do with them is watch virtual history repeat itself.

Hell you don't even need an emulator or remake to do that....sequelitis does that for you. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, both Their Finest Hour and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. Both games are great arcade-action encapsulated in strategy game. It would be nice to see them with pixel-shaded graphics.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 8 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to see an old Atari 800 game called "Mar Tesoro" remade. You were in charge of a boat looking for treasure. You were shown a "top down" image of an island, and had a certain number of moves to sail your ship around it, drop anchor, then search for treasure. That involved arcade style sea monster avoidance. Back on board your ship with any loot found, you could then sail about a bit more if you had some time left, or head back to shore if your resources were low. There was micro management involved as you juggled cash flow, boat maintenance, etc. Everything in the game could do with a revamp, but at its core this game written in BASIC nearly 30 years ago was great, IMO.

Reply 9 of 22, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, most of the games I've wanted to see redone have been redone. The results of a lot of them are pretty good, but a few have been lousy. Populous was remade for the DS lately and is not only one of the few DS titles running 60 FPS (most go 20 or 30), but it has a huge number of options and the graphical presentation is very good. A couple other examples would be A Boy and His Blob on the Wii, which dare I say far surpasses the original it was based on, and Thexder Neo for the PS3/PSP, which I haven't played yet, but looks very good.

On the flip side, Arkanoid DS wasn't actually that great. Don't get me wrong, the graphics were good and the music was both hit and miss, but it's the only breakout clone I've played in a long time that goes only 20 FPS and has poor ball physics. The Klonoa remake for the Wii was lousy compared to the original but only because they really screwed up the story aspects, removing pretty much every ounce of subtlety and having rather poor voice acting. Bubble Bobble, one of my favourite games EVER gets screwed up somehow in every iteration of its numerous remakes ever since the Saturn/PS1 versions. The most recent one, Bubble Bobble Plus, messed up the physics for being in tight spaces, making it impossible to get out of them. (Common mistake actually.)

As it stands, there's only a couple titles I want to see redone today: Magic Carpet and Base Wars. The former being fun because of the sheer number of spells you can cast and how incredibly powerful they can be, the later being fun because I like being able to get a team to forfeit a baseball game because I destroyed a third of their robotic players with the use of flamethrowers and laser swords while stealing bases. ;D

(Insert Zero Wing joke here.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 22, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A new Dungeon Keeper would be nice.

Carmageddon !!!

Bring on Magic Carpet.

I thought Lords of the Realm 3 was a complete failure, so if LOTR 2 could be remade....

Reply 14 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lemmings most recently appeared on the PSP - and I guess if it didn't get ported elsewhere, it wasn't much of a seller.

The only thing that comes to mind is Neverhood - properly re-released with high-res graphics. It does not deserve to languish in obscurity.

Reply 15 of 22, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- G.I. Joe & Fort Apocalypse of the C64
- Donkey Kong Country series of the SNES
- Skull Monkeys of the ps1

probably more that I dont think of now. 😀

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 17 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

someone should remake quake3 as an open source game

In this case, it seems id eventually will. Haven't they made the first Quake open source?

Reply 18 of 22, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
leileilol wrote:

someone should remake quake3 as an open source game

In this case, it seems id eventually will. Haven't they made the first Quake open source?

Only the engine, if I am not mistaken.