l33t++

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-TERADRIVE-MODEL-2-ME … =item3a5eb97e23

Nice

Reply 1 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this similar to that Amstra PC with Mega Drive built in...

I wonder how he hooked up the LCD though. Because the Amstrad needed a special multisync CRT that could do 15KHz (like the Amiga CRTs).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 16, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would love to see some body upgrading the pc side of it, even though I know it is an almost insane task upgrading that piece of machinery. But it is a nice machine none the less.

Reply 3 of 16, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IRC the Teradrive was used for game development.

Reply 4 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how he hooked up the LCD though. Because the Amstrad needed a special multisync CRT that could do 15KHz (like the Amiga CRTs).

According to the specs on it, it would output a standard 31khz VGA signal from the PC part, though it's a little unclear exactly how it deals with the 15khz signal from the MD side... maybe it has some sort of scan-doubler circuitry built in?

As far as upgrading it, you probably couldn't get very far, though it's conceivable that one of the various 386SX/486SLC accelerators might work in it.

Reply 5 of 16, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

According to the specs on it, it would output a standard 31khz VGA signal from the PC part, though it's a little unclear exactly how it deals with the 15khz signal from the MD side... maybe it has some sort of scan-doubler circuitry built in?

As far as upgrading it, you probably couldn't get very far, though it's conceivable that one of the various 386SX/486SLC accelerators might work in it.

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_TeraDrive it had a motorola 68000.
Same CPU as the Amiga 500/600/2000/1000/CDTV so wonder what OS it ran? or they only refering to the Sega CPU?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

though it's a little unclear exactly how it deals with the 15khz signal from the MD side... maybe it has some sort of scan-doubler circuitry built in?

Yea that would be interesting to know...

The Amstrad computer does output 15 KHz, so you need the right monitor or convert the signal.

Reply 7 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be a good idea to save that seller for future reference. Akihabara is like the gamer/electronics geeks Mecca in Japan. New stuff nearly always gets introduced there first and the queues that form when some new game or gadget is released can stretch for a mile there. I know there's a few British people here and you may think you know about queueing, but you know nothing compared to a crowd of Japanese gamer geeks on a release date.

Reply 8 of 16, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

I know there's a few British people here and you may think you know about queueing, but you know nothing compared to a crowd of Japanese gamer geeks on a release date.

🤣 nice one 😁

Final Fantasy launch...

Reply 9 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_TeraDrive it had a motorola 68000.
Same CPU as the Amiga 500/600/2000/1000/CDTV so wonder what OS it ran? or they only refering to the Sega CPU?

Yeah, that's just the Sega CPU. Basically what the article says (though perhaps worded a little oddly), is that it's a regular 286 PC running DOS, but with a MegaDrive on board. The MD used a 68000, with the Z80 working as a coprocessor (mainly as a sound controller, IIRC). There's apparently some sort of method in place to allow a certain amount interaction between the PC side and the MD side, but it's still essentially two separate machines in one case.

Reply 10 of 16, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yeah, that's just the Sega CPU. Basically what the article says (though perhaps worded a little oddly), is that it's a regular 286 PC running DOS, but with a MegaDrive on board. The MD used a 68000, with the Z80 working as a coprocessor (mainly as a sound controller, IIRC). There's apparently some sort of method in place to allow a certain amount interaction between the PC side and the MD side, but it's still essentially two separate machines in one case.

Yep, same stuff basically in my Amstrad Mega PC

P1010032.JPG

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 11 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

The spacebar on that thing is TINY! o_o;

I'm sorry but I cannot use a keyboard with a spacebar that isn't at least 6 keys wide. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The spacebar on that thing is TINY!

That's the standard JIS layout. Japanese doesn't use spaces very much, so the spacebar was narrowed to make room for the additional mode keys. Besides, if you type even remotely correctly, the space bar is right under your thumbs where it should be... I have Japanese keyboards on a few systems around here, and I've never had a problem with it.

While on the subject of the keyboard: is that a rebadged Model M? It sure looks like it...

Reply 13 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

That's the standard JIS layout. Japanese doesn't use spaces very much, so the spacebar was narrowed to make room for the additional mode keys.

True... but I've also seen spacebars that tiny on English keyboards.

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Besides, if you type even remotely correctly, the space bar is right under your thumbs where it should be...

I don't type anywhere near correctly. ;D

My typing is based on the instinctive memorization of the keyboard layout and the positions of my hands and fingers at any moment. As such, I have trouble with laptop keyboards or keyboards with unusual layouts, but on a standard keyboard I can easily hit 80 WPM. ;)

My typing also gets screwed up if the backspace key isn't at least a little bigger than the standard keys.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 14 of 16, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the teradrive used Jdos (from IBM)

Reply 15 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++