VOGONS

A few Windows XP handy tidbits and tweaks

Topic actions

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a few rather miscellaneous Windows XP snippets that I've either copy 'n' pasted, edited, and/or typed up through the past year. The latest being the "Sound Blaster Live! DevLdr32.exe Removal".

I recently upgraded the Micro$not Internet Exploder to version 8 (so's I could blather on Facebook, they didn't support my old MSIE6 anymore <grin>), and then ran into a problem where clicking on any link within a Windows "CHM" format help file resulted in a script error <aarrgh>!

I decided to take the plunge and install Service Pack 3, but discovered two problems:

Although SP3 fixed the script errors, I saw numerous error messages within Windows XP's "Event View" (Event ID: 1904, in Source: HHCTRL).

and...

was having shutdown problems with this "mysterious" file "DevLdr32.exe". Read tons of stuff on the Internet about it, NONE of which was of any use. I was hesitant about messing with it, as I thought that it was used for my Sound Blaster Live!, but in actuality it's not needed under Windows XP SP2+ with the latest SBLive! drivers (from Creative Labs' site) installed.

Spent the past two damn days sorting this one out <aarrgghh>!

Anyhoo, here's what's in the attached ZIP... maybe it'll prove useful for one or two folks 😀

Decompiling Windows CHM Help Files.txt
--------------------------------------
How to decompile Windows CHM help Files to HTML.

Disabling Compress Old Files.txt
--------------------------------
How to disable "Compress Old Files" in Windows Disk Cleanup (massively speeds up Disk Cleanup's startup).

Enable Compress Old Files.reg
-----------------------------
Undo the "Disabling Compress Old Files" above (re-enables "Compress Old Files").

Disabling Local Machine Lockdown.txt
------------------------------------
Disables "Local Machine Lockdown" that was introduced by Windows XP Service Pack 2. Local Machine Lockdown will cause Internet Explorer's "Information Bar" to be displayed for any local HTML files on your hard drive (or CD-ROM) that contain Java, Javascript, or Shockwave Flash objects.

Foreground FlashCount and LockTimeout.txt
-----------------------------------------
How to adjust Windows XP's "Foreground FlashCount" (number of times that Windows XP will flash a background application's taskbar button when the application wishes to steal the focus from a foreground application), and "LockTimeout" (time in milliseconds before Windows XP allows an application to steal the focus from a foreground application).

HHCTRL Event ID 1904 Error Fix.txt
HHCTRL Event ID 1904 Error Fix.reg
----------------------------------
Fixes a problem where clicking on links within Windows "CHM" format help files generates numerous error messages that can be seen within Windows XP's "Event View" (Event ID: 1904, in Source: HHCTRL).

Hibernate.txt
-------------
Restoring the "Hibernate" button in Windows XP (Note: requires Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed).

Sending Commands Directly to a USB Printer.txt
----------------------------------------------
Printing and sending commands directly to a USB Printer under Windows XP (Note: I haven't thoroughly tested this one).

Slipstream Windows XP Service Pack 3.htm
----------------------------------------
How to "slipstream" Windows XP Service Pack 3 to create an integrated Windows XP installation CD-ROM with Service Pack 3 (Note: instructions by Christopher Heng).

Sound Blaster Live! DevLdr32.exe Removal.txt
--------------------------------------------
Removing/disabling "DevLdr32.exe" and "DevCon32.dll", which were older driver files for Windows XP legacy sound support for the Sound Blaster Live!, and were included with the Windows XP installation CD-ROM. They are *NOT* required by Windows XP with a Sound Blaster Live!, and with the latest Creative Labs Windows XP drivers installed (English LiveDrvUni Pack: "LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe", February 28, 2003).

System Volume Information.txt
-----------------------------
Accessing the locked "System Volume Information" folder in Windows XP (a.k.a. It's *MY* hard drive, dammit!).

Windows XP ChkDsk Logs.txt
--------------------------
How to view Windows XP "Check Disk" Logs.

Windows XP Recovery Console.txt
-------------------------------
How to installing the Windows XP recovery console (before or after Service Packs have been installed).

P.S. Not in the attached ZIP...

Man! That MSIE8 is an abortion! I swear if Bill Gates had his way, the ENTIRE freakin' screen would be filled with non-moveable toolbars, taskbars, menus, icons, and other such crapola! By the time he gets done with it, the only thing you'll be able to see in your browser is two or three lines of text!

That infernal gold "Favorites" star is severely annoying. The only way to can it is via a registry hack, but the con of that is it ALSO removes the entire "Command" bar <aarrgghh>.

I then "discovered" that you can hide the usual "File" menu, and *even* if it's hidden, you can still press "ALT" on your keyboard and it will magically appear 😀 See attached pic... nice and small band at the top, with plenty of real estate for web browsing 😀 Heh, of course, nothing beats good old "F11" though <grin> 😀

I swear, if BG had his way, we would all be walking around with "File/Edit/View/Help" tattooed to our foreheads!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 2 of 24, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man! That MSIE8 is an abortion! I swear if Bill Gates had his way, the ENTIRE freakin' screen would be filled with non-moveable toolbars, taskbars, menus, icons, and other such crapola!

If you like that, you'd love the 'ribbon' interface in Office '07/'10 (and most of the programs that accompany Win7 as well). Not only are the menus replaced by a bunch of toolbars and icons, but they all move around and appear/disappear at random, depending on what you're doing.

Reply 4 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Pfew...glad I stuck with IE7 then 😀
...and Opera...and Firefox. Opera ftw!

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

If you like that, you'd love the 'ribbon' interface in Office '07/'10 (and most of the programs that accompany Win7 as well). Not only are the menus replaced by a bunch of toolbars and icons, but they all move around and appear/disappear at random, depending on what you're doing.

I don't mind so much if things disappear (to give you more viewing space), but I sure don't want it to be random, and I want to be able to make them "appear" myself (*I* want to control it <grin>).

Seriously though, this MSIE8 isn't "so" bad after all, once I hid the menu bar, and then discovered it would pop up when I pressed ALT.

A couple of good points (and note that I rarely/NEVER give brownie points to MS and BG <grin>); the integrated RSS feed reader is nice, and I like the zoom/text-size features 😀

Another annoyance though:

In the older version that I had (version 6 and earlier), when you pressed F11 the browser went *completely* fulscreen. In MSIE8, the confounded status bar (at the bottom of the screen) is still there <aarrggh>. Of course, one can right-click/hide the status bar; but in v6-, even of the status bar was displayed, it would disappear when F11-ing.

Heh, as far as browser in general, I'm still using good old Netscape 7.0 for 90% of my web browsing... with *everyhthing* disabled; Java/JavaScript/images/etc... makes for much quicker browsing for folks like me still on a miserable dialup <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 5 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P.S. Another thing as far as toolbars:

I couldn't give rat's arse about "tabbed browsing"... too slow on dialup to be of real use (when using it as it is intended), as well as taking up even MORE real estate on the screen.

The only kind of "tabbed" browsing that I wanna do is; open a bunch of links in a new browser window, and ALT+*TAB*+TAB+TAB+TAB <grin> 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 6 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

In the older version that I had (version 6 and earlier), when you pressed F11 the browser went *completely* fulscreen. In MSIE8, the confounded status bar (at the bottom of the screen) is still there <aarrggh>. Of course, one can right-click/hide the status bar; but in v6-, even of the status bar was displayed, it would disappear when F11-ing.

Found the follwing in the newsgroups:

Microsoft Support wrote:

Status bar in Internet Explorer wouldn’t go until and unless you deselect it in Internet Explorer. It cannot disappear with other toolbars and it is by design.

Mouneshwar R - Microsoft Support

it figgers...

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 7 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Typed up another today:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Restoring the Microsoft Internet Explorer Desktop Icon
------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP normally has an option to display the Microsoft Internet Explorer icon on your desktop (Display Properties/Desktop/Customize Desktop/Desktop Icons). After installing Windows XP Service Pack 3, this option is no longer available.

The Microsoft Internet Explorer desktop icon can be easily restored to your desktop by using Microsoft's "Tweak UI" utility for Windows XP, but usually the icon will be that of the older Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.

To change the desktop icon to that of the newer Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, edit the following Windows XP registry entries:

--- cut here ---
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe,0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1214440339-507921405-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
--- cut here ---

To restore the desktop icon back to the older default Microsoft Internet
Explorer 6, edit the following Windows XP registry entries:

--- cut here ---
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\shell32.dll,220"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1214440339-507921405-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}\DefaultIcon]
--- cut here ---

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 8 of 24, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

I couldn't give rat's arse about "tabbed browsing"... too slow on dialup to be of real use (when using it as it is intended), as well as taking up even MORE real estate on the screen.

The only kind of "tabbed" browsing that I wanna do is; open a bunch of links in a new browser window, and ALT+*TAB*+TAB+TAB+TAB <grin> 😀

Are you serious? It's almost 2011, anything below 10Mbps doesn't even count as a 'net access 😁
Tabbed browsing in Opera is one of the best things...open a bunch of links with mouse gesture (need to change default so that mb2-down opens in background tab instead of mb2-down-up), then just use mb2+wheel to go through tabs 🤣

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 9 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for these writeups. I wish I knew about the "compress old files" one because that was annoying when I was running WinXP as the main OS on my old desktop (now runs Ubuntu).

rfnagel wrote:

P.S. Another thing as far as toolbars:

Tabbed browsing is much better on broadband than non-tabbed, but I can see how it could be annoying on dialup.

Reply 10 of 24, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stop using tiny resolutions. Anything below 1024x768 is for cellphones.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 11 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Tabbed browsing is much better on broadband than non-tabbed, but I can see how it could be annoying on dialup.

Yes, EXTREMELY slow on dialup... with multiple opened URLs simultaneously loading.

gulikoza wrote:

Are you serious? It's almost 2011, anything below 10Mbps doesn't even count as a 'net access 😁

No broadband capability out here in the sticks; no cable or DSL service, with the only option being satelite dish broadband (WAY too expensive and unreliable).

Heh, even for regular TV; we have Dish Network with theor "basic" plan/programming package, as the airwaves usually result in the reception of only one station... *sometimes* <grin>. 'Tis the price that one pays for the peace and quiet out in the woods 😀

HunterZ wrote:

Thanks for these writeups. I wish I knew about the "compress old files" one because that was annoying when I was running WinXP as the main OS on my old desktop (now runs Ubuntu).

Yer welcome. Yeah, that COF delay (when running Disk Cleanup) can be absolutely painful... waiting for it to do it's thing when initally loading. Disabling COF causes Disk Cleanup to pop up alomost immediately 😀 Who uses the "Compressed Files" feature anyways?

Svenne wrote:

Stop using tiny resolutions. Anything below 1024x768 is for cellphones.

Hehe, wait till you get up there in age (close to 50 or greater) <grin>... the old eyes aren't what they used to be. I have a helluva time seeing anything on the screen at 1024x768 (or higher)... this, even on my largish 19" monitor.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 12 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P.S. A little something that I typed up for a utility that I created a while back (primarily for Windows XP though, the "Windows XP Desktop Theme Rotator"). It had problems on several Vista PCs, due to "User Account Control" (which puts a damper on a lot of things that one may wish to do on their PCs).

Im sure that most users here prolly know this (especially "power" users), but nonetheless, from the utility's readme:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

User Account Control
--------------------
As mentioned in the "System Requirements" section above, you may require "Administrator Privileges" for the Windows XP Desktop Theme Rotator v1.0 to function properly when run under Windows XP. In addition, when running the program under Windows Vista, you will need to change various "User Permissions" by disabling "User Account Control" in order for the program to function properly.

To disable "User Account Control" for Windows Vista, perform the following steps:

1 - Start the Windows Control Panel.

2 - Type "UAC" (minus the quotes) in the search dialog box.

3 - Click the "Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off" link.

4 - Click the "Continue" button when Windows prompts you with "Windows needs your permission to continue".

5 - Uncheck the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" checkbox.

6 - Click the "OK" button.

7 - Click the "Restart Now" button to reboot your computer and restart Windows.

8 - After your computer has rebooted and Windows has restarted, start the Windows Control Panel again.

9 - Click the "Security" link.

10 - Click the "Security Center" link.

11 - Click the "Change the way Security Center alerts me" link.

12 - Click the "Don't notify me and don't display the icon (not recommended)" link.

Note that Microsoft does not recommended disabling any of these Windows features, but disabling them is the ONLY way that the Windows XP Desktop Theme Rotator v1.0 (as well as a LOT of other third-party programs and utilities) will function properly when run under Windows Vista!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 13 of 24, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:

Hehe, wait till you get up there in age (close to 50 or greater) <grin>... the old eyes aren't what they used to be. I have a helluva time seeing anything on the screen at 1024x768 (or higher)... this, even on my largish 19" monitor.

I would prefer to use max resolution and crank up the DPI (aka Large Fonts mode) but it just doesn't work right because many GUI programmers don't seem to take it into account. Instead I use a big monitor 🤣.

Edit: Regarding UAC, the only thing that it's killed me on so far is installing the Planescape Torment patch. The Bioware Infinity Engine games seem to run better on Ubuntu via Wine than they do under modern Windows, though.

Reply 14 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I would prefer to use max resolution and crank up the DPI (aka Large Fonts mode) but it just doesn't work right because many GUI programmers don't seem to take it into account.

Yeah, I've seen the same thing. Eons ago I figured the same thing; large DT resolution, and crank up the DPI... but like you said, the results aren't all that great.

HunterZ wrote:

Instead I use a big monitor 🤣.

Heh, where monitors are concerned; IMHO, BIGGER is definitely BETTER/the bigger the better <grin> 😀 I remember throughout the decades; starting with a 13" monitor, and then buying my first 14" monitor (which was WAY PRICEY $$$ back in the day), and thinking "WOW!". Then my first 15"... "WOW!". Then 17" and 19", "WOW!" and "WOW!" <LOL>! 😀

Heh, I need one of them newfangled 21" (or larger) high-def wonders now <grin> 😀

HunterZ wrote:

Edit: Regarding UAC, the only thing that it's killed me on so far is installing the Planescape Torment patch. The Bioware Infinity Engine games seem to run better on Ubuntu via Wine than they do under modern Windows, though.

I had found quite a few things on my father's laptop running Vista. Can't quote specifics (as I don't really remember), but I do remember running into several things that I couldn't do on that PC due to UAC (IIRC, mostly dealing with copying or moving files around).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 15 of 24, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:

Sound Blaster Live! DevLdr32.exe Removal.txt
--------------------------------------------
Removing/disabling "DevLdr32.exe" and "DevCon32.dll", which were older driver files for Windows XP legacy sound support for the Sound Blaster Live!, and were included with the Windows XP installation CD-ROM. They are *NOT* required by Windows XP with a Sound Blaster Live!, and with the latest Creative Labs Windows XP drivers installed (English LiveDrvUni Pack: "LiveDrvUni-Pack(ENG).exe", February 28, 2003).

You got my attention with that one, but upon further inspection I do not have that in my running processes after all, nor anywhere in my startup (as determined by Autoruns). Not sure how I eluded that one.

Doesn't "legacy sound support" mean some sort of limited NTVDM support?

Don't forget that X-Setup Pro became freeware a little while ago. I'd say it's the last XP tweaking tool you'll ever need, but its absolutely staggering amount of content does give TweakUI a bit of an edge as far as convenience goes.

Reply 16 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

You got my attention with that one, but upon further inspection I do not have that in my running processes after all, nor anywhere in my startup (as determined by Autoruns). Not sure how I eluded that one.

I'm thinking that many folks prolly haven't had the DevLdr32 woes; if they installed XP and then SP1/SP2/SP3. Then installed their SBLive, and then the latest/last drivers from Creative Labs.

In my case, I had installed XP and then SP2, at a much later time my SBLive (when I first got it) and the Creative Labs drivers; and then the other day, SP3.

I'm guessing that may be why some folks have had the problem, yet others have not. Heh, after my two days of Googling and such, I couldn't count how many messages that I've read (posted over the past six years or so), going as far as even saying that "DevLdr32.exe IS A VIRUS!!!!" <LOL>.

Nevertheless, I did get it all sorted out via the method I posted earlier 😀

Jorpho wrote:

Doesn't "legacy sound support" mean some sort of limited NTVDM support?

I prolly should have re-worded that phrase.

What I meant to say (or rather, was infering) is that it was one of the bare-bones basic drivers for the SBLive that shipped with the XP installation CD-ROM (at least on mine, that is; WXP Pro Corp. Edition with SP1). That driver gives you basic access to the SBLive (sound support in Windows); minus the other SBLive specific things such as access to soundfonts, access to EAX parameters, and such.

Jorpho wrote:

Don't forget that X-Setup Pro became freeware a little while ago. I'd say it's the last XP tweaking tool you'll ever need, but its absolutely staggering amount of content does give TweakUI a bit of an edge as far as convenience goes.

As a power user (and a control freak as well <grin>), thanks for the heads-up about that one 😀 Googling now... 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 17 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Downloaded!

Cheers!

Reply 18 of 24, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(re: the RSS feed feature of MSIE8)

Heh, I thought I was losing my mind <grin>...

What the hell is this little (almost inaudible) "beep" that I keep hearing on certain web pages/message forums???!!!

Did it come from my little PC bleeper/buzzer?!!!

Is my SBLive acting up/on the fritz???!

Is something fixin' to blow up in my old shack in the woods?!!!

NOPE...

...finally figured it out <LOL>!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel