Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

But I do see that the general consensus seems to be moving towards retrocomputing and retrogaming to be based on significant age in combination with nostalgia.
Is that about right?

I agree with that. And I would add a bit of "commercial interest" to the mix...

Do you mean commercial interest in the sense of it becoming a profitable second hand market?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 24, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Do you mean commercial interest in the sense of it becoming a profitable second hand market?

Not second hand, because vintage items can also fetch a lot of money.

I mean things like these:

dtv.jpg

Look at this picture at the top left 🤣

SegaGenesisportable2.jpg

Or this one:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/SFIW8Ktx … 3VIu6LeCwCYSVLF

Whereas something like this wouldn't work (at least I don't think it would):

intel-386.jpg

Reply 22 of 24, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah.. "retro" (in the "style" sense) has to somehow symbolize the era, so iconic branding works - something relatively faceless like a 386 won't do it.

But that's just how the term is used in fashion, music, etc. everywhere: a set of symbols / styles that are instantly recognizable, and acquire some kind of pop culture meaning based on that. Eventually, even people who don't personally remember the era themselves can latch onto them, or more accurately, people who care more about the "cool" factor.

But when you're talking about "retro computers" or "retro-computing" specifically... that's a term that can also stand on its own, separately from the common usage of "retro". So I can see how Tetrium's personal definition would work as well ("Retro-" being just the usual Latin prefix meaning "backwards" in that sense).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 23 of 24, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

But when you're talking about "retro computers" or "retro-computing" specifically... that's a term that can also stand on its own, separately from the common usage of "retro". So I can see how Tetrium's personal definition would work as well ("Retro-" being just the usual Latin prefix meaning "backwards" in that sense).

Good point! In my definition, any computer can be called "retro" as long it serves the purpose of retro computing in the sense of "backwards oriented" computing. This includes genuinely old machines as well as modern PCs with DOSBox installed or that C64-in-a-joystick shown above.
"Vintage" on the other hand means that something comes from a specific time (and place).

Reply 24 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

Good point! In my definition, any computer can be called "retro" as long it serves the purpose of retro computing in the sense of "backwards oriented" computing. This includes genuinely old machines as well as modern PCs with DOSBox installed or that C64-in-a-joystick shown above.
"Vintage" on the other hand means that something comes from a specific time (and place).

This is exactly my point 😉

The thing is that the reason as to why the original C64 and such were called retrocomputers is because of the "backwards oriented" meaning of the word "retro".

And if a C64 can be called retro because of the "backwards oriented" thingy, then a 486 can be called "retro" too, it's that simple really 😉

Now the word "vintage" is another beast:

In the dictionary it states:

vin·tage (vntj) n. 1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season. 2. Wine, usually of high qua […]
Show full quote

vin·tage (vntj)
n.
1. The yield of wine or grapes from a vineyard or district during one season.
2. Wine, usually of high quality, identified as to year and vineyard or district of origin.
3. The year or place in which a wine is bottled.
a. The harvesting of a grape crop.
b. The initial stages of winemaking.
5. Informal
a. A group or collection of people or things sharing certain characteristics.
b. A year or period of origin: a car of 1942 vintage.
c. Length of existence; age.
adj.
1. Of or relating to a vintage.
2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.
3. Old or outmoded.
a. Of the best: played songs that were vintage Cole Porter.
b. Of the most distinctive: "Fatalism has coexisted with vintage American overconfidence" (Thomas Oliphant).

The parts marked in green seem to be relevant to this discussion.
Some people draw a line between what is a vintage computer and what falls out of this categorization, but looking at the actual meaning of the word vintage reveals that there is no such clear definition.

Looking at "Old or outmoded", a Pentium 3 with a Voodoo 3 running Windows ME could technically be described as a vintage computer. It may feel wrong for some, but the funny thing is that technically, it's not wrong at all.

Odd...

Edit:This does bring up the word "classic" and I looked up it's definition:

clas·sic (klsk) adj. 1. a. Belonging to the highest rank or class. b. Serving as the established model or standard: a classi […]
Show full quote

clas·sic (klsk)
adj.
a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
b. Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.
c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.
a. Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles: a classic piece of research.
b. Of a well-known type; typical: a classic mistake.
3. Of or characteristic of the literature, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome; classical.
a. Formal, refined, and restrained in style.
b. Simple and harmonious; elegant: the classic cut of a suit; the classic lines of a clipper ship.
5. Having historical or literary associations: classic battlefields of the Civil War.
n.
1. An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance.
2. A work recognized as definitive in its field.
a. A literary work of ancient Greece or Rome.
b. classics The languages and literature of ancient Greece and Rome. Used with the.
c. One that is of the highest rank or class: The car was a classic of automotive design.
4. A typical or traditional example.
5. Informal A superior or unusual example of its kind: The reason he gave for being late was a classic.
6. A traditional event, especially a major sporting event that is held annually: a golf classic.

I marked some part that could be relevant to computing in indigo.

Seems theres plenty room for discussion 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!