VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe I'm behind time (:lol:), but, what does the genre "indie" mean? (In terms of pc/video games?)

What games exactly fall into this category?

Seems like online distributions started making this name common.

When was this term started being used in naming computer/video games category?

And finally, can Lemmings be classified into indie category? Why?

Thanks! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

What games exactly fall into this category?

Games with abstract design but still play like a cookie cutter like their big budget commercial peers, but hyped on the abstract over anything else, with a bit of egotism to it. It's a bit shameful when most of the indies aren't exploring a lot of creative opportunity, only a few gems make it out of there (Minecraft anyone?)

Malik wrote:

When was this term started being used in naming computer/video games category?

Technically there has been 'indie' game development since the late 70's without this hipster label (the whole Apogee shareware scene of the early 90s is very 'indie', and the Safari Software divison of Epic, was pretty much "Epic Indie" with smaller, non marylandian teams), the term only suddenly gained steam into a large mainstream when Darwinia was put on Steam ages ago in 2004 (no pun intended) for being a hyped up revolutionary 'retro' fps because it looks blocky in 3d as if it changed the world. (but honestly, it's one of the worst RTS games i've ever played)

Malik wrote:

And finally, can Lemmings be classified into indie category? Why?

No, because it is a franchise owned by SONY now (Psygnosis buyout inheritance)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me as a customer (Steam for example), Indie games are cheap, often I haven't heard about them and they are usually very creative / out there.

Darwinia and Eufloria come to mind.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 11, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wasn't aware that "indie" had any attached meaning beyond just "independent". But I guess it's inevitable that people would jump at the chance to give it a latte-sipping, beret-wearing, hipster douchebag aura (just like it has outside of gaming)

Independent games have always been there on the PC. Windmill Software was like four guys working from an apartment, so you could call Digger the first big "indie hit" on the platform...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks. So I guess, any game can enter into Indie category, say an adventure or action game alike?

Yes, I still play Safari's Seek & Destroy. Somehow I like playing it.

Reply 5 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But I guess it's inevitable that people would jump at the chance to give it a latte-sipping, beret-wearing, hipster douchebag aura (just like it has outside of gaming)

Now this sounds awfully familiar...

Must be one of those "fashion" things that I've always been immune to 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 11, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

I guess, any game can enter into Indie category, say an adventure or action game alike?

Yes, "independent" refers to the game developer, not the game itself.

Reply 7 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think "Indie" refers a independent studio game, opposed to a normal studio games.

Normal games are developed by a small army of programmers, animators, musicians and so... with big budgets (and so the games are usually not very original, they don't want to take the risk of investing in a game that can be a flop).

Indie games are developed by small groups, with very low budgets; in some cases are "artistic" works or not professional works. They usually wants to make their own game, not a profitable game... so they take risks and you can end with a very original little gem, or with a crappy game... or anything between those extremes.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

I see. So the original Prince of Persia can be called as "indie" in current categorizing fashion?

Games like the original Duke Nukem and Commander Keen would have been considered Indie because who knew who Apogee and id were back then? Neither of them had a long string of hit games behind them at that point so the money for high budget games wasn't exactly rolling in.

Reply 10 of 11, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I think the general popular definition of Indie games is incorrect. Indie games are of all genres. It just means they're made on a smaller budget and not made by or tied to any big corporations. That also means they're a lot more free from pressure to create something based on market research. They're free to do whatever they want and either suffer or gain from it. Something big corporations don't have the luxery (or the balls) to do.

Remember when all games were made by "indie developers?" Those were great days.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 11 of 11, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Remember when all games were made by "indie developers?" Those were great days.

Yeah. Those were the days! 😀