VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any Unreal series fans out there? How were you introduced to the series? What are your thoughts on it?

I started out with Unreal Tournament which was included as free game in PC magazine here in Greece back in 2002. Man, was that game fun. I was only 8 or so at the time so I only played Single Player 😁 . The final battle with Xan was very memorable, I remember playing in turns with my brother until we beat it. Good times 😀.

I got to play Unreal 1 a few months later, when the same magazine offered it to tag with the Unreal 2 review. I didn't play it much back then, in fact I only REALLY played Unreal 1 about a month or two ago. Each time I tried to play it I would only get as far as the sixth or seventh map and get bored afterwards.

I then got Unreal 2 which wouldn't run on my then crappy PC (I think it was a Celeron 900 with some SiS integrated GPU 😜). I finally ran it a year later I think, when I got a better PC (still quite crappy though, early 2004, Celeron 2.4 and GeForce FX 5600 XT, yuck, but hey I was 10!)and gave up on it, because it didn't really seem that good and because it scared the living crap out of me (dismembered bodies and Skarrj 🙄 ) xD.

I skipped on UT 2003 and moved onto UT 2004 which was amazing back then. It looked amazing, it had a relatively light footprint, had a TON of game modes and was just so much fun to play. I think it probably is the best game in the series, although I prefer UT 99 for sentimental reasons.

I waited for Unreal Tournament 3 (or 2007 as it was known back then) for what seemed like ages and when it was released it left me with a bitterwarm taste. It had some fun additions like the skateboard, but overall it wasn't different enough on the gameplay and it looked so bland (typical 2007-2010 look with a lot of brown and bloom effects). It also seemed like I was playing a spin off of Gears of War 🙄 .

A couple of months ago I felt like playing the singleplayer games and beating them, because I always felt I shouldn't have ignored them. So I sat down and played Unreal. While it had its moments, I certainly was expecting something much better. This was a transitional period for FPS games and it really shows on this game. It tried to add some story elements (the whole datapad thing) and it created a powerful atmosphere for the player, but it leaned on the graphics and sound design to achieve this. The graphics haven't aged terribly well, but obviously they're don't at all create the gripping atmosphere they did in 1998, while sound design is still is pretty good (some awesome music by the king - Alexander Brandon *worships - plus fantastic sound effects). What I think really destroys this game is the level design itself. Unreal has some really open levels that are not that enjoyable for me because you often have to find a switch of some sort to proceed and most of the time you're running around doing nothing. The more "linear" levels work much better in my opinion. Other than that, fun game, certainly had its moments, but I'd never play it again!!!

Finally, I moved on to Unreal II. I expected a bad game and in some points I was right. The game has a handful of problems ranging from TERRIBLE A.I. and some nasty collision detection (keep in mind this game was developed by Legend, creators of Return to Na Pali, not Epic themselves) and pretty generic gameplay. Despite that, I found it a guilty pleasure, you know it's not really a good game, but you're still having fun with it. It's much more story based than the first one, which is a good thing, although the story doesn't really make a ton of sense in the end. What is interesting about the game, is that the game designers create a bond between you and your crew. It's not really deep but I appreciated it in the end. I thought the ending was really powerful by the way, although I'm not going to spoil it (besides, you can watch in on youtube if you feel like it 😜).

So that's pretty much my story on the series, hope it wasn't too long to read 🤣 . What's yours then? 😀

EDIT: Damn, I really don't know how to make this huge wall of text better looking than it is 🙁

Reply 1 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got unreal when I was released, played it in software mode and then 3dfx 🤣
When UT was out , I used to go to a local internet cafe for some lan gaming (using tnt vgas IIRC and slot1 p3s? later 733mhz p3+vanta 🤣)...
Never really bothered with the sequels, Unreal+UT were the best IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unreal was a blast!
Took me 4 about weeks to complete the campaign first time and it was unreal! 😁

Also played U2 and I did like it a lot (though some of the missions were really hard)

Also love UT3, still play it in a LAN with a couple friends from time to time 😀
UT3 is fun!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 17, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still LAN UT03 at home. Real nice graphics for the time.

Reply 4 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got Unreal Gold, Unreal 2, and UT2004, though I need to reinstall that one. I always loved the ChaosUT2 Evolution mod with the smiling proxy mines. 😀

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 6 of 17, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Loved Unreal 1. Fantastic story and atmosphere. I wish Epic would go back to that universe and gameplay style instead of doing stupid multiplayer games and GOW. Of course, they're only doing what's business smart, developing games that are popular.

I thought Unreal 2 was stupid. And I really only enjoyed UT99 and not the rest, though I never played them as much. Unreal 1 sucked me in right to the end, though. Also the music in Unreal 1 and UT99 are unmatchable. Andrew Sega and the crew of Straylight Productions were amazing game composers.

Last edited by MusicallyInspired on 2012-02-08, 16:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 7 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I first played the Unreal Engine with Unreal Tournament - the DEMO version. I remember playing it very often. I was impressed with the Bots. They're extremely good. Bought the Unreal Tournament Game of the Year Edition CDs pack when it came out. Still play it now and then.

I do have Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 plus Unreal Tournament III - but haven't played them properly yet. I was more like, checking the Crossfire performance with UT III.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 17, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember the first time I completed Unreal 2: The Awakening, all I could say at the ending was, "...... 😮 Wow. I was totally not expecting that!" I loved Bioshock as well- heavily modified U2.5 engine!

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 10 of 17, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Loved Unreal 1. Fantastic story and atmosphere. I wish Epic would go back to that universe and gameplay style instead of doing stupid multiplayer games and GOW. Of course, they're only doing what's business smart, developing games that are popular.

I thought Unreal 2 was stupid. And I really only enjoyed UT99 and not the rest, though I never played them as much. Unreal 1 sucked me in right to the end, though. Also the music in Unreal 1 and UT99 are unmatchable. Andrew Sega and the crew of Straylight Productions were amazing game composers.

Completely echo all of that 😀 I've had many many hours on Unreal & Unreal Tournament (original) and most earlier Epic titles. Pretty much avoided them after UT mind you!

Reply 11 of 17, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What Unreal and UT had no sequals they don't exist I'm sure they don't exist!!

Anyway I've played a lot of UT and a lot of mods for it and its never felt old to me and Unreal is just the same I don't know what your talking about the graphics having aged they look fine to me, says the person who really enjoys the look of Wolfenstien 3D and play many Amstrad CPC games. Unreal and UT look just like they always have but this might be because I play UT every few weeks.

UT2003 I haven't ever played. UT2004 is a bit meh not as good as the original so I tend to ignore it. UT III is enjoyable though I don't really like the look in some ways the character models look too much like GOW and the maps don't really have the awesome completely differentness about them like Galleon to Deck16][ to Morpheus to Archane Temple to Grinder to Crane to Barricade etc At least thats how I feel.
UT2004 just isnt as good as UT99 to me and UTIII isn't enough like UT99 for me its stuck in the middle which is the problem and that stupid menu system in UTIII.

I doubt I will ever find an acceptable sequel to UT oh well.
I should try play Unreal II again one day I never got far with that game but its not a proper sequel to Unreal/RTNP so I'm not sure I have been bothered to install it yet.

Reply 12 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's strange no one ever did a proper TC or mutator for UT2004 that UT'ifyed it fully, BUT there is an Unreal mutator and converted campaign for UT2004 that tries to be faithful. 😳

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 17, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a demo of the original unreal with a monster fusion card someone gave me. From the moment I started I was hooked. I bought the whole game, and played all the way through on a pentium 233 MMX.

IMHO that was and is the best video game ever made. The NaPali mission pack was pretty food also.

I later got unreal tournament, and while that was okay but the "tournament" games never had the same appeal for me.

I agree with the poster above - I wish they would release something set in the same universe, like the original game,

Reply 14 of 17, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't played Unreal yet but back in 2001 when I was still using my heavily abused Pentium 200MMX with 65 megs of ram and a single 12mb Voodoo II, my brother got the demo for UT99 and we played it alot. His computer, a Pentium 133 with 32 megs of ram wouldn't touch it. We were hooked on it. I loved morpheus and facing worlds and archane temple.
We got the full version and played it alot on the pentium 200 mmx and his new at the time AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 Ghz with Gforce 2. Going from the Voodoo II machine to that Gforce 2 was a huge leap. I love to use dual Enforcers most of the time and shock rifle and sniper rifle.
We then lan'ed two Pentium II's with Voodoo 3's in each together and had coop and deathmatch two or three years ago. We tried to do it again recently but the Win 98 has decayed so much from memory leakage that they are unplayable.
I 2003, my brother got UT2K3 and I wasn't impressed due to lack of assult missions and no sniper rifle.....Then UT2K4 came out and we played that alot, I was then impressed. I still play UT2K4 alot and UT99. I play UT99 today on a Pentium III with Geforce 4 128 and 390 megs of ram.

Never played Unreal 2 or UT3 yet. Planning to build a Pentium II just for unreal soon.

Reply 15 of 17, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was a huge fan of UT back in the day. I first played it on my Athlon 550 around Spring-Summer 2000. I think I had a "copy" at first but liked it so much that I bought the original release in the big blue box(which I still have). Literally dozens of LAN parties and many hours of entertainment with that game as the mainstay game, even after UT2004 was released. Eventually me and my buddies started playing UT2004 and later UT3 but LAN parties became fewer and further between and never played them as much as the original. Sometimes though I'll pop onto them and play a round or two on the computer, and I usually install UT (and Quake II) on each of my powerful-enough Retro builds to test them.

I have the entire series with box+manuals. Unreal Gold, UT99, Unreal 2, UT2003, UT2004, UT3... and also have the whole series again on Steam. Although I never got into the Xbox games.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 16 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I first played UT on the earliest Glide-only demo that was LEAKED.

I wish I still had that, it was only one day long 😒

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

rather liked UT/UT2003/UT2004, even if only for mapping experiments and occasional games over local LAN. UT2004 was probably the last "major" game I ever really got into.

I remember doing some retarded maps for them... one was a CTF map set inside/on a huge space-floating pool table, another one was a DM conversion of Doom II's map01. Bot-pathing sucked.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]