VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How would I go about doing this? Doing what? Getting the word out.

Recently, I've had to literally trash all sorts of classic hardware, some of it being PC related. Much of it being classic computing type things of the 8-bit era. TRS-80's, Atari 8 bit units. Many S-100 cards. PC cases, cd roms and isa sound cards. Stuff like that. A lot of slot-1 motherboards, p-pro motherboards, sims, drives. Countless cables and doo-dads. you get the idea.

Due to lack of interest and ability to connect with the right buyer, I've thrown the stuff out right on the lawn in hopes that scavengers come by. Literally hundreds and hundreds of kilos of the stuff.

Now the time has come again for misc PC parts and whatnot. None of the stuff is worth much on ePay or anything. Besides, it's a tedious process for many of the cheap items.

Reply 3 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

register on Amibay.com and list your things at the "recycle bin" (free to other members) , maybe someone close enough will come and take the whole lot

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 19, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

also craigslist and freecycle.org would be great to post them on.

I have posted so much free stuff on craigslist and someone was ALWAYS interested in it within a few days.

Reply 7 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

I've never even heard of the recycle bin there, where do I find it?

you need to request access to it, I'll see to it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 19, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also ASSEMbler has a section for that, and I think if I knew about the Atari stuff before hand. I would have pointed you in that direction without a doubt. Cause they love consoles there 😀

Reply 9 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wished there was a marketplace thread of some sort on here. I know me and some others with tons o' stuff that a few of the other enthusiasts would love to have/trade.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 10 of 19, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of us peruse amibay or vintage computer forums' for sale section so I suggest posting your trade items there 😀 The admins here have already decided there is to be no trading on the boards here, there's a sticky topic to this effect somewhere.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 11 of 19, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
7cjbill2 wrote:

I wished there was a marketplace thread of some sort on here. I know me and some others with tons o' stuff that a few of the other enthusiasts would love to have/trade.

The problem with doing that is inevitably a trade goes bad and people start flinging accusations about and those accusations could have legal repercussions not only for the person making them, but also for the owners of these forums for allowing them to be posted in the first place.

Reply 12 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Firstly, I understand that, but honestly, I am a member of 10+ bulletin boards (Turbo Ford, Subaru Legacy, OS2 World, etc.). ALL of them have a marketplace section, and I don't recall ANY of them every having "legal issues" because someone got con'ed. Yes, there have been issues of that nature, but the offender is usually banned or he injures his reputation so badly he can no longer do business.

Secondly, I think most people understand there is a certain amount of risk involved doing on-line transactions. You don't purchase from people when it seems shady to you. In addition, 99% of these transactions involve PayPal now, and I've never had PayPal rule in favor of the seller when I felt I was "wronged" by someone and could prove it.

Third, every one of those other boards has a legal disclaimer stating to the fact that they are not responsible, and by using the marketplace board you are agreeing to abide by it. Pay an attorney $75 and have them concoct a wordy blurb to place at the top of the marketplace forum if it's that scary.

Fourth, you can always setup guidelines. On one of the forums the rules are you must have been a member for 3+ months, have 50+ posts, add pictures of your items for sale, and indicate your location. And surprise, it works well on there.

Sorry, but I've read the posts and the arguments, and none of them make sense to me other than just "not wanting to do it." Also, many of the members on Vogons seem to be outside of the US, and most people don't like to ship internationally, so I wonder if some of it isn't an "if I can't play, no one can" attitude. Does anyone know of any other hobby BB that does NOT have a sort of marketplace or trade/buy/sell forum???

Anyway, this isn't intended to offend, just stating my views.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 13 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
7cjbill2 wrote:
Firstly, I understand that, but honestly, I am a member of 10+ bulletin boards (Turbo Ford, Subaru Legacy, OS2 World, etc.). AL […]
Show full quote

Firstly, I understand that, but honestly, I am a member of 10+ bulletin boards (Turbo Ford, Subaru Legacy, OS2 World, etc.). ALL of them have a marketplace section, and I don't recall ANY of them every having "legal issues" because someone got con'ed. Yes, there have been issues of that nature, but the offender is usually banned or he injures his reputation so badly he can no longer do business.

Secondly, I think most people understand there is a certain amount of risk involved doing on-line transactions. You don't purchase from people when it seems shady to you. In addition, 99% of these transactions involve PayPal now, and I've never had PayPal rule in favor of the seller when I felt I was "wronged" by someone and could prove it.

Third, every one of those other boards has a legal disclaimer stating to the fact that they are not responsible, and by using the marketplace board you are agreeing to abide by it. Pay an attorney $75 and have them concoct a wordy blurb to place at the top of the marketplace forum if it's that scary.

Fourth, you can always setup guidelines. On one of the forums the rules are you must have been a member for 3+ months, have 50+ posts, add pictures of your items for sale, and indicate your location. And surprise, it works well on there.

Sorry, but I've read the posts and the arguments, and none of them make sense to me other than just "not wanting to do it." Also, many of the members on Vogons seem to be outside of the US, and most people don't like to ship internationally, so I wonder if some of it isn't an "if I can't play, no one can" attitude. Does anyone know of any other hobby BB that does NOT have a sort of marketplace or trade/buy/sell forum???

Anyway, this isn't intended to offend, just stating my views.

Hi 7cjbill2.

As you know, Vogons' forum is focused on playing old games on new systems, and for help with running Dosbox related issues and legitimate games.

In the passing of time, we have moved forward and started encompassing a bit more than old games on new systems and now have very good discussions regarding old hardwares, thanks to many vintage/retro PC hardware enthusiasts and knowledged members.

We are all free to give out our opinions, but, at the same time, we are bound to our moderators and administrators and the forum's rules.

Two things are frowned upon here, and not allowed, in addition to common forum rules :

1. Abandonware

2. Marketplace

You can think this as a more "focused" retro pc related hardware and older games discussions board, rather than like other forums.

(Of course, there's Milliways section for occassional tid-bits and some fun stuff.)

You can still communicate via your signature and PM (Private Messages) to whom are willing to sell or buy.

This problem had been discussed and addressed before in the sticky thread and the final word is out there - VOGONS is no marketplace!.

Cheers! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the forum, I post more on here than on any others....and have met some really good folks. However, the lack of a buy/sell/trade forum I think hurts the members more than it helps. 'Nuff said.

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 15 of 19, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this isn't about the members.

think about it like this: This forum is hosted on a server, the server and the forum are private property. Someone has decided to spend their money and build a nice gathering place for people based on a few rules, on their property. They put a few rules out and let us come here as guests. If you don't like it, this is their property, they can tell you to leave at any time. Doing other than what they allow is simply rude and not within your rights, because this is not public property, it's private property and we are guests on it.

Reply 16 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I respectfully disagree, and I had a long diatribe composed that dismantled all of your points, but I realize I'm not going to win this argument or change anyone's opinion, so talk amongst yourselves. In my life, I've grown tired of hearing the sheep complain about the pasture while I fend off the wolves, only eventually to be eaten myself. 😒

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 17 of 19, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

there is nothing to disagree about.
You are allowed to visit this forum as long as you stick to the rules.
If you don't like them. Get lost.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 19 of 19, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am an intelligent person with a real brain and can follow the rules but disagree with them at the same time. 😁 But I see, having my own opinion and expressing it is now construed as a "sense of entitlement" 😢

Will pay $$$ for: