VOGONS

comparing win95/98

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

98SE plays most DOS games even with USB gamepads and can be patched for USB mass storage device support too, it doesn't get much better in terms of all-in-one packages...

Reply 21 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows ME?

😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 22 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Windows ME?

😀

Not sure if serious... 😒 But I need to try it sometime and see how it compares 😀

Reply 23 of 45, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

heh the last time I tried ME it was one of the most easiest 9x installs I'd done in ages but it might of just been a hardware thing

Reply 24 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess the problem with it is that you can't boot into DOS without a boot disc and that it's such a weird inbetween kind of thing between 9x and NT...

Reply 25 of 45, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

There are hard 32GB hard drive limits, anyone found a way around those?

Afaik the 32gb limitation is caused by the fat32 file system not by the os,and its also per partition,not per hard drive,so u can use a larger hard drive as long as u limit your partitions to a maximum 32gb.

I,ve been using win 95 osr2.5 on my retrosystem and so far i only had 2 issues with it,not beeing able to activate the usb controler and could't install fraps on it.
Other then that all the games i installed,worked fine.

Reply 26 of 45, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nahkri wrote:
Afaik the 32gb limitation is caused by the fat32 file system not by the os,and its also per partition,not per hard drive,so u ca […]
Show full quote
Great Hierophant wrote:

There are hard 32GB hard drive limits, anyone found a way around those?

Afaik the 32gb limitation is caused by the fat32 file system not by the os,and its also per partition,not per hard drive,so u can use a larger hard drive as long as u limit your partitions to a maximum 32gb.

I,ve been using win 95 osr2.5 on my retrosystem and so far i only had 2 issues with it,not beeing able to activate the usb controler and could't install fraps on it.
Other then that all the games i installed,worked fine.

32 GB is not the limit, 1.99TB is. 32GB was only set because the file allocation size will be higher, and thus more space would be wasted on smaller files. Just partition the disc with something like Ranish Partition Manager (free) and you're good to go.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 27 of 45, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nahkri wrote:

Afaik the 32gb limitation is caused by the fat32 file system not by the os

That is indeed an artificial limitation imposed by Windows 2K/XP and later. It's not just a matter of wasted space; NTFS is more efficient on larger drives, according to MS.

See http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb2.html .

Reply 29 of 45, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MagicDisc runs only on 98 or later. That's enough to make me run 98 on anything that can handle it.

Reply 30 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Virtual CloneDrive should work in 95. What about CD audio emulation with these virtual drives though?

Reply 31 of 45, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Virtual clone drive says 2000 or later, and it requires a 500mhz cpu. Is there an older version that works on older computers? I use MagicDisc with 98 on my PII-266 and it works like a dream.

CDDA is not likely to happen with any of these virtual drives. But there are plenty of titles with incidental music in the game itself, which still makes it worthwhile.

Reply 32 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried it out, but here someone said it does work on 95. But impressive that MagicDisc works with that CPU, I'd imagine there could be a minor framerate hit with demanding games though...

I think most of those virtual drive tools claim CD-DA emulation, DAEMON Tools does too. It would be especially important for modern systems without the cable. I remember that one of the issues with it was that some games will only play CD music from the first (real) drive even if they do work with virtual drives, but I may be wrong here.

Reply 33 of 45, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK, the only ones with analog CD audio emulation are Daemon Tools and Alcohol.

Windows 9x lets you select which drive letter is to be used for CD audio (multimedia control panel). Win2K+ defaults to the first optical drive letter.

Reply 34 of 45, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

I remember that one of the issues with it was that some games will only play CD music from the first (real) drive even if they do work with virtual drives, but I may be wrong here.

Not necessarily real drive, but first CD drive nonetheless. I first experienced this when playing GLQuake - a game with CD tracks - from my virtual CD drive (drive H: ). I had a Buddha Bar CD in my real drive (drive D: ). Imagine how weird it is to play Quake with Buddha Bar tracks.

Solution? I swapped the drive letter between the real CD drive and the virtual one. Now my D: drive is a Daemon Tool virtual drive, while my real CD drive is Z:.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 35 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Solution? I swapped the drive letter between the real CD drive and the virtual one. Now my D: drive is a Daemon Tool virtual drive, while my real CD drive is Z:.

How do you go about that in 98? Doesn't work for me neither from My Computer nor with the "label" command. Setting the CD audio drive to the virtual one won't cut it for games in a DOS window that want a CD.

Reply 36 of 45, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tweaking the start and end drive letter doesn't work? That's how you reconfigure drive letters in 9x.
autoplay_settings.gif

Reply 37 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, in Device Manager... yeah, works now.

Reply 38 of 45, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After so many years of using win98SE....win95 does seem somewhat limited.....quite a few things reminded me of 3.1...even though 95 had the new interface. Overall I think 98 lasted a lot longer in the marketplace..

Reply 39 of 45, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ncmark wrote:

After so many years of using win98SE....win95 does seem somewhat limited.....quite a few things reminded me of 3.1...even though 95 had the new interface. Overall I think 98 lasted a lot longer in the marketplace..

Comparable to Vista and 7, I don't think a lot of people are using Vista anymore by now (are there hardcore Vista fans out there? 🤣) while 7 will be useful for a long time...