Advice on purchasing a gaming videocard

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 83, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bucket wrote:

Crossfire/SLI is probably the worst bang for your buck. I would only recommend it if you have multiple monitors or use rendering software that takes advantage of it. You're lucky to get a 150% performance boost in general.

Just go all-out with one high-end card. Buy it separately to offset the cost if need be. That is - buy the video card this year, buy all the other upgrades you want next year, upgrade the card in two years etc.

I paid 50 bucks for my second card years later, i gain 20fps in a number of games.

I really can't suggest SLI or crossfire right off the bat but, as alternative to buying a new card a few years down the road. mainly because of drivers.

Reply 81 of 83, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I have installed both the PSU (Enermax something...) and the videocard.

So far, so good but I haven't played any games yet. I have done several OpenGL tests that went fine.

Here is a comparison image.

http://postimage.org/image/gop3clnit/

Reply 82 of 83, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:
Well I have installed both the PSU (Enermax something...) and the videocard. […]
Show full quote

Well I have installed both the PSU (Enermax something...) and the videocard.

So far, so good but I haven't played any games yet. I have done several OpenGL tests that went fine.

Here is a comparison image.

http://postimage.org/image/gop3clnit/

The 660 Ti absolutely destroys the venerable 3870! It's a massive improvement, and i'm pretty sure Enermax is still a good PSU brand 😉.

Here's my Radeon 7950 for comparison:

7950.gif

Reply 83 of 83, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Radeon HD 7900 seems to be a very nice card too.

I have played several games and everything went fine, fluid and smooth.

At last Neverwinter Nights 1 looks as it was meant to look. Yeah, I still played a lot of modules made by fans.