VOGONS

First post, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a GT 430 graphics card, which I know isn't top of the line, but then neither is my system. Apparently the card includes HD audio, which I guess is for the HDMI output. After installing the card and the drivers, I had no audio on my system! I didn't even have the speaker icon in the system tray. Attempting to play a video with Media Player Classic gave me the error message that the audio stream couldn't be rendered (probably because it wasn't detecting any audio hardware).

I have onboard RealTek audio and I use a standard VGA monitor.

It seems that the audio component of the GT 430 overrides the onboard sound, but since there's no sound jack on the card, I have no way to get audio out of it.

I have looked in my BIOS for any settings related to the onboard sound (and graphics), but there are none. My computer's manual (HP DC7700) does say that plugging in a graphics card will disable the onboard graphics, but it says nothing about Audio. I guess they just assume that you'll never add any kind of sound card.

I uninstalled the sound drivers, but that didn't fix the problem. I finally uninstalled the Nvidia graphics driver, pulled the card and re-installed the Intel graphics driver. My sound came back without needing to re-install the audio driver, but...

Every few minutes, I get a loud hum from my speakers and sub-woofer that lasts for a minute or so and then disappears. I'm not sure if it's being caused by the computer or a loose wire. Every time I wiggle the wires it seems to stop soon after. I may have to dig up another pair of speakers to try.

I'd call the company (Gigabyte), but they're based in China and have no tech support phone number that I can find. I sent them email, but figured I'd try posting here as well.

Anyway, has anyone else encountered this or know how to fix it? Would installing a dedicated sound card fix it? I'm kind of hesitant to just go installing stuff in the hope that it will make things better.

Reply 1 of 2, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like you have to manually select the Realtek audio through the Windows audio/sound control panel. A similar thing happened to me a while back with a Radeon card and Windows selected it as the default audio device.

Reply 2 of 2, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Sounds like you have to manually select the Realtek audio through the Windows audio/sound control panel. A similar thing happened to me a while back with a Radeon card and Windows selected it as the default audio device.

Thanks for the advice. Turns out that it had disabled the onboard audio in the BIOS and I had to re-enable it. I checked for BIOS options before I even installed the card, but there weren't any listed. Apparently they only show up after it's been disabled. So now I have sound again.

I wish I could say I've been having a blast playing with my new card, but so far I haven't had much better luck than with the onboard graphics.

Unreal II, which I've been wanting to play, crashes at the drop of a hat. With the Intel graphics, the driver crashed, now the game itself is crashing. I Also wanted to be able to play Need For Speed II SE again, but I can't even get into the race, let alone make it work smoothly! It works perfectly on every other XP system, but doesn't work at all on mine, even with the various fixes in the Compatibility Toolkit, which supposedly make it work perfectly for others with similar systems. Then I tried Virtual Jaguar, the Atari Jaguar emulator, which I've previously used on a junk system. It runs like it's in slomo mode, which is exactly the same thing it did with the Intel graphics.

I have to say, I'm starting to wonder if it was worth it to buy this card. It wasn't that expensive, but even so, I bought it so that I could play games and so far I'm not seeing much of a difference...

Granted, I know that the stuff I've tried so far has been old, but it's pretty disheartening to see others say that these games work perfectly for them, and then see them crash or simply not work on my own system. 🙁