Ah yes, I see it now, thanks 😀

Reply 122 of 325, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
tincup wrote:

How do you click directly to the last post in a thread? The icon on the far left isn't doing it any more..

The icon on the far right 😀

Awright! Pixel Hunt!

...and the Vogons 'facelift' not too bad by the way;)

EDIT: I think I'm finding it harder to scan the thread menus with author information stacked directly under each entry - It's visually much denser and it takes more deliberation to read successive titles, which slows things down a bit.

Last edited by tincup on 2013-07-05, 21:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 123 of 325, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:
I am "glad" to see that most of the issues seem to be with viewforum, as that is the place that I feel could use some improvemen […]
Show full quote

I am "glad" to see that most of the issues seem to be with viewforum, as that is the place that I feel could use some improvements as well.

Yesterday, I mocked up this : https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7c09rovdb3lamj/view.png
The only part that is missing is the author of a topic, nonetheless it could be considered an improvement.

An alternative would be to decrease the size of the author and maybe remove the date from that

by Qbix

And maybe even drop the pagination from the topics.

@Stiletto and HunterZ, I've repaired the active topic link. Thanks for the report.

120x120 avatar has been restored
Mod colour was changed to something slightly darker.

That's great!

Reply 124 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmm....just in case if anyone haven't noticed these yet,

1. The tiny orange icon left of the post title takes directly to the first of the new topics since you last read them. No need to go the the last page and last post and scroll back up to see what you have missed.

E.g. You stopped reading at 20th post, and after 2 days, you come back to read the same thread and now it has 25 posts, clicking on the tiny orange icon will take you to the 21st post directly.

2. The tiny white icon in the last post column next to the author's name in the right side takes you directly to the last/latest post in that thread.

3. The previous website automatically marked the non-read topics as read, even if you haven't at all read it, when you come back to the same page again. Some may not be interested in reading a particular topic and that was automatically taken care off. Currently, in this new site, the left indicator icon is always highlighted as long as it's not read. (I'm not sure if the time to de-highlight is extended?)
If the highlighted icons distract you and if you're not interested in reading those topics, you can mark all topics as read. The link is above the main box, on the right. The line which reads : "Mark topics read • 2619 topics • Page 1 of 105 ....".

On the main index page, you can mark the whole forum as read. "Mark forums read". The link appears at the same spot - top right of the main section's box.

4. While typing in the Quick Reply box, if you change your mind and would like to continue editing in the full editor instead, clicking on the Full Editor icon will copy all your typed text directly into the full editor. No need to copy and paste again into the full editor box anymore.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 126 of 325, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Another misgiving I have about the topic reply notification email:

Previously the subject of the mail was

Just an important heads up at VOGONS has been replied to

now it is

Topic reply notification - "Just an important heads up"

I like the older more because it gives me the topic right away

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 127 of 325, by kekko

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

3. The previous website automatically marked the non-read topics as read, even if you haven't at all read it, when you come back to the same page again. Some may not be interested in reading a particular topic and that was automatically taken care off. Currently, in this new site, the left indicator icon is always highlighted as long as it's not read.

there's no way to get back the old behavior?

Reply 128 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kekko wrote:
Malik wrote:

3. The previous website automatically marked the non-read topics as read, even if you haven't at all read it, when you come back to the same page again. Some may not be interested in reading a particular topic and that was automatically taken care off. Currently, in this new site, the left indicator icon is always highlighted as long as it's not read.

I am actually shocked by your suggestion. It was the most annoying thing of old forum. Once you entered the forum you had to read everything cause if you left it, there was no easy way of figuring out what was not read. To make things worse new threads were dehighlighting after some time of inactivity even when the browser was opened. Even worse it was dehighlighting even when you were not on vogons but just kept browser opened. Also leaving without checking main forum again for new responses dehighlighted them too. And I am not sure anyone does it, and even if he do it is easy to forget about it. All above resulted in many unnoticed responses and as a result no answer received. All that can be considered as serious bugs as people were not aware of it in most cases.

Even now it is not safe to use "mark all forums read" as it dehighlights even threads you haven't had even noticed that were responed.

Reply 129 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Qbix can you allow threads titles with more letters (as soon as possible) as it is making a mess on the forum. All responses to threads with long titles get automatically cut down to the limit making them broken.

Reply 130 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:
kekko wrote:
Malik wrote:

I am actually shocked by your suggestion. It was the most annoying thing of old forum. Once you entered the forum you had to read everything cause if you left it, there was no easy way of figuring out what was not read. To make things worse new threads were dehighlighting after some time of inactivity even when the browser was opened. Even worse it was dehighlighting even when you were not on vogons but just kept browser opened. Also leaving without checking main forum again for new responses dehighlighted them too. And I am not sure anyone does it, and even if he do it is easy to forget about it. All above resulted in many unnoticed responses and as a result no answer received. All that can be considered as serious bugs as people were not aware of it in most cases.

Even now it is not safe to use "mark all forums read" as it dehighlights even threads you haven't had even noticed that were responed.

I have to agree with robertmo that I didn't care for the way it used to work. I haven't tried the new version but it sounds like an improvement to me.

Reply 131 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you do not want the topics left marked unread, just click the "Mark forums read" from the forum list. Not have to read the entire forum in one block of time is the single best part of the upgrade from a usability point.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 132 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
robertmo wrote:

Qbix can you allow threads titles with more letters (as soon as possible) as it is making a mess on the forum. All responses to threads with long titles get automatically cut down to the limit making them broken.

I don't understand how existing threads get messed up by that.
Can you give an example ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 133 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Capturing below 640x480 resolutions and CGA/EGA on the Avermedia Gamebroadcaster HD
'Re: Capturing below 640x480 resolutions and CGA/EGA on the A'

The longer time it takes to fix this, the more threads got broken and the only way to fix them later would be to rename all posts manually i guess. And I guess nobody will care to fix them later so they will just stay broken once more responses appear even after fixing.

Reply 134 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Alright. did some searching.
Current length seems to be 64 characters.
While old vogons had 120 characters.
The database has room for 255 characters.
I'll edit the quick reply and the posting template to get 120 characters back.

Edit: done, let me know if you still encounter/see this problem.

Reply 135 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

still doesn't work
you can check that yourself, just respond to a long tltled topic and and check results

btw i noticed that the limit is 60 not 120 (and not 64)
i wonder if 2x60=120 is a coincidence

Reply 136 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Fixed.
Had to modify the actual posting php code to to change the truncation function, instead of only messing with the template files

edit: I edited a lot of posts to repair the titles.
Let me know if I missed one

Reply 137 of 325, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there no longer a feature to update an attachment when you edit your post? This feature was nice as it didn't require a view counter reset.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.