VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What was the first videocard to have active cooling? Was it the TNT2?

Reply 1 of 7, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, some Banshees and i740s had it too. 1998 must have been the year it started to become mainstream. Could be that some earlier obscure CAD card had it but I doubt it, since they weren't single chip designs with significant heat output on a small space.

Also there was this (aftermarket?) cooler for Voodoo2: http://tdfx.de/pic/stealth_v2cooler_01.JPG

Reply 2 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were some before 1998 that had fans but were not consumer cards and were limited to only the high end. The Banshee and i740 as well some of the Riva TNT cards were the first consumer cards to have fans. ATI didn't have anything that needed a fan until the Rage Fury era and Nvidia didn't have anything that really needed a fan till the Geforce 256/Geforce2.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1so wrote:

What was the first videocard to have active cooling? Was it the TNT2?

My Diamond Monster Voodoo 2. 😊 It didn't actually ship with a fan but after having 2 die on me I added one to the third one, that did the trick.

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I was a fan of the first Voodoo card... 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Quantum3D X-24 has a cooling fan. It was optional, but it was still 1998. Canopus also had a first generation Riva TNT (not TNT2) card with a fan in 1998.

Quantum_3D_Obsidian_X24.jpg

d831936c9d.jpg

Canopus also had a V2 with a fan in 1998

c338bacba5.jpg