VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by comradesean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The wiki says Myst was launched in Sept 93, but I've found information that suggests that the MPC/Win 3.1 release occurred after the MAC version. The earliest PC disc I've been able to find was created 4/18/94; which is nearly a year after with a version #1.0.1.
Anyone out there know if there was an earlier release than this for PC?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
comradesean wrote:

The wiki says Myst was launched in Sept 93, but I've found information that suggests that the MPC/Win 3.1 release occurred after the MAC version.

That's quite likely. The game was originally written in Hypercard and translation to a more versatile format would have taken time.

Reply 2 of 3, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure 1993 was the Mac release date. Found this, by the way.

The Mac version of Myst was released in September of 1993. The PC version wasn't released until the spring of 1994. I got the date from a Cyan employee, so I would think they know what they're talking about.

So your copy might be among the first released for PC, lucky you!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 3, by comradesean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some more digging and there was definitely a version 1.0. Broderbund immediately issued a 1.01 replacement disc due to issues with certain drives reading the game.

I was unable to get a direct release date, but I've narrowed it down to between February 16th, 1994 to March 4th, 1994. I found an old listing where a store manager said his store's copy would arrive February 26th, but immediately after someone chimed in saying they saw copies in a NYC store on February 18th. (This may have been the MAC release?)

I "believe" I've found a seller on eBay with the 1.0 disc, but with my luck recently they just lie to me and then refund the money immediately after I file for a return.