486 four-eighty-six or four-eight-six?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 97, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SarahWalker wrote:

Same here. I always assumed that 'four-eighty-six' was an Americanism, a bit like calling the NES 'en-ee-ess'.

An "Americanism" of an American product? 🤣

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 42 of 97, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always said four eight six

If you were going to the trouble of saying "four eighty six", why not say "four hundred and eighty six"? Four Eighty six is in between saying individual numbers and the whole number..

Seems like a strange way to pronounce IMO.

Reply 43 of 97, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only noticed people saying 3-8-6, 4-8-6 in school, After school and getting more into the trade, sometimes it would be called a 4-80-6 but never the full spec saying something like 4-80-6 DX2 66 takes much to long for us Aussies 😉

May have been part of that not wanting to sound American, like on TV when someone would play with their Lego's. 1 brick. 1000 bricks it was always just Lego.

Windows 3.11 was the product that caused the most confusion round the same era. Windows 3-11, 3-1-1, 3-2, 3-eye-eye

Reply 45 of 97, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

427 Hemi - Four Twenty-Seven Hemi
Galaxy 500 = Galaxy Five Hundred
Windows 3.11 = Windows Three Point One One
P400 = P Four Hundred
P466 = P Four Sixty-Six

Don't think there are fixed rules on how to pronounce numbers outside of mathematics, but tend to say the Tens, Hundred, Thousands for round base-tens, 3-Digit numbers as "one, twenty-one", 4-Digit numbers as "twenty-one, twenty-one".

First decade of the 21st century was tricky; twenty-oh-one? Naught-oh-one, Two Thousand and one?... missing the Nineteens...

Reply 46 of 97, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about x86? "x eighty six" or "x eight six".

I always said "four eighty six". Not sure why or how 😊

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 97, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

P400 = P Four Hundred
P466 = P Four Sixty-Six

Don't think there are fixed rules on how to pronounce numbers outside of mathematics, but tend to say the Tens, Hundred, Thousands for round base-tens, 3-Digit numbers as "one, twenty-one", 4-Digit numbers as "twenty-one, twenty-one".

Good examples which blows my use of numbers out the window 😀 , that's how I pronounced those cpus, I always called the Pentium2/Celeron 333 as "Three Thirty Three", I never took much notice on these things I must say.

Reply 48 of 97, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium III fourteen hundred or one thousand four hundred?

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2014-07-19, 03:08. Edited 1 time in total.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 52 of 97, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Russia we say: chet`iresta v`osem'desjat shest`oj 😀

Which means: four hundred eighty sixth.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 53 of 97, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Pentium III fourteen hundred or one thousand four hundred?

Nup go to decimals "P 3 1.4".

Of your American put a fraction on it, "P 3 & 4/10th".

Reply 55 of 97, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:
427 Hemi - Four Twenty-Seven Hemi Galaxy 500 = Galaxy Five Hundred Windows 3.11 = Windows Three Point One One P400 = P Four Hund […]
Show full quote

427 Hemi - Four Twenty-Seven Hemi
Galaxy 500 = Galaxy Five Hundred
Windows 3.11 = Windows Three Point One One
P400 = P Four Hundred
P466 = P Four Sixty-Six

First decade of the 21st century was tricky; twenty-oh-one? Naught-oh-one, Two Thousand and one?... missing the Nineteens...

All of the above in Turkish will be said using hundreds. Similarly, 486 is dörtyüzseksenalti (four hundred eighty six). We have also some irregularities though. For example, 8008 is sekizbinsekiz (eight thousand eight) but 8088 is mostly seksen seksensekiz (eighty eighty eight).
😀

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 56 of 97, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For 8088, 8086 etc I just say: "Eight Oh Eighty eight" and "Eight Oh Eighty Six"
If it's a Pentium 200MMX I just say "Pentium Two Hundred M M X" but if it's a Pentium 233mmx I say "Pentium Two Thirty Three M M X".
But if I'm talking about mhz I say it like a hundred. Example: "Pentium One running at One Hundred and Sixty Six Megahertz".

Not sure why this is. *shrug*

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 58 of 97, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Four and four twenties and six.

Just kidding. Eighty six.

It takes a canadian to joke like this.

Never heard of four-eghty-six all my life. Allways four-eight-six from everyone. Portugal.