VOGONS

Common searches

DOS anti-virus programs

Topic actions

First post, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What anti-virus programs did folks use back in the day? Our computer used a DOS version of F-Prot. I think this is what my dad used at work and he installed it on the home computer as well. I don't think it ever caught an actual virus, but did constantly complain about the FACE.COM joke program that I put on there.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 1 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also used FPROT then., and Mcafee Virusscan for a while, when it wasn't terrible. Michelangelo was very averted.

Sneakernet boot sector'd viruses were very real 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 21, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing I distinctly remember about early virus scanning software is that the good ones would actually let you browse their database of known viruses and get detailed information about what they were capable of... back when there were only a few hundred instead of a few hundred-thousand. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thunderbyte antivirus, now fprot because it has the most recent database afaik

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 21, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Thunderbyte antivirus, now fprot because it has the most recent database afaik

Exactly, for pure dos to my knowledge f-prot has the most recent virus database. Not being a bad antivirus also makes it the best option in my opinion.
Back then and before windows 95 era people were obsessed with mcafee viruscan and it's vshield.

Reply 7 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Back then I used Norton - the days when Norton software didn't equal bloatware

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think it was IBM Antivirus that came preinstalled with the PC. I just remember the weekly scan taking ages.
Think I got rid of it after a while, moved up to Win95 within 12 months of owning the PC anyway (and going online took another year)

Reply 11 of 21, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

F-Prot was the most popular. Mcaffe was also quite popular, although not as much as F-Prot, since probably F-Prot had a user interface and Mcaffe Viruscan was command line.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 21, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

This one 486 I once had had an install of Norton Antivirus left behind by the previous owner. It made Win3.1 games unbearably slow, and its "inoculation" feature tended to corrupt a lot of my DOS games. 🤣 I left it on there for a long time because I honestly thought I needed it, but I eventually got rid of it when I realized how rare DOS viruses truly were in the 2000s.

Reply 13 of 21, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran F-Prot 3.16f on my DOSbox tree and was disappointed not to find any infections. You have to run it with the /NOFLOPPY /OLD parameters or it will refuse to run.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 14 of 21, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Yep. There was a time when Norton was considered to be quite good at what they did.

And then came Symantec the BS crapware, bloatware, scamware called "systemworks" and it all quickly went into the toilet.

I still use the old original version Norton utilities on my Windows 95, DOS rigs. Got a complete boxed version that had the first Windows 95 package along with the DOS package.

No real need for anti-virus though on my retro stuff, since all of my retro machines are not connected to the web and anything that touches them is thoroughly vetted by me first.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 15 of 21, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We had one from a company called Leprechaun Software called Virus Buster. I remember it being quite fast and I could be wrong, but maybe it had a TSR for intercepting boot sector viruses on floppies..? I think?

I do remember that its UI was what got me in to ASCII art, though! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 17 of 21, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote:

What is the latest free/abandon virus-scan for Dos?
What is the best Version when using a 286/10?

Is this a question arising from mere historical curiosity or you actually don't have a better computer where to run a decent AV that could scan the files before they're transferred to the DOS drive?

An outdated database-only AV is as useless a thing as it can possibly be, and commercial 286-era AV's, as far as I remember, were not advanced enough to perform proper heuristic analysis, let alone with sufficient speed.

ESET still offers an up-to-date DOS version of NOD32, by far the most powerful AV in existence, only rivaled by Kaspersky, specifically in the "cleansing" department, not detection.

Problem is, it will cost you money and you can forget about running it on a 286.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 18 of 21, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that most DOS era viruses can't infect Windows executables and vice versa.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys