VOGONS

Common searches

Gamergate, no more games, just poltical correctness pushing.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Gamer Gate is a scandal sparked by the simultaneous publication of almost identically titled articles pronouncing the “death of gamers”, written by social engineers operating under the game media. In this video I discuss what exactly lead to these events and why you should care, even if you do not consider games important. This is a two part video, the next part will be finished soon."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45H25Sc6fig

Last edited by awgamer on 2014-09-20, 21:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Pffffff

Edit: in more words, thanks for yet another youtube video about that gamergate issue and of which the author is THE authority and all should heed his views. IMO all these can be categorized in Redneck, Closet-Redneck and human being. Not going to waste my time listening to another closet redneck (as per the subject line I think it is).
And thanks for keeping the flame alive...

Edit2: if it were an article I'd actually read it but vlogs make me sick most of the times

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
Pffffff […]
Show full quote

Pffffff

Edit: in more words, thanks for yet another youtube video about that gamergate issue and of which the author is THE authority and all should heed his views. IMO all these can be categorized in Redneck, Closet-Redneck and human being. Not going to waste my time listening to another closet redneck (as per the subject line I think it is).
And thanks for keeping the flame alive...

Edit2: if it were an article I'd actually read it but vlogs make me sick most of the times

Huh? The person in the video is a girl, the video consists of constantly giving references, not "THE authority," and it's alive because it's ongoing.

Reply 6 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Soo... When you wrote the first post, why the "in this video I discuss..."?
Maybe I'm missing something because I still haven't watched this, but maybe you should make clear when you are quoting from something...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 37, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the problematic nature of the whole gamergate movement, shown in the form of that rather dubious source makes me think something along the lines of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnzcLoxIXHI

frankly people like her are as much a part of the problem as those corrupt journalists

Reply 9 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

indeed, let's not forget that individuals are being PERSONALLY HARASSED AND STALKED over hearsay and allegations, and that goes before the 'gamers are dead' articles. It's pure radicalist hate.

If it were about 'journalistic integrity', then where were they when PCAccelerator was printing? Where were they when Metacritic and Mobygames were analyzed?

Last edited by leileilol on 2014-09-21, 00:13. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 37, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

indeed, let's not forget that individuals are being PERSONALLY HARASSED AND STALKED over hearsay and allegations, and that goes before the 'gamers are dead' articles. It's pure radicalist hate.

If it were about 'journalistic integrity', then where were they when PCAccelerator was printing? Where were they when Metacritic and Mobygames were analyzed?

my problem with this is also that there is no central goal , leadership or ideology, which means its very easy for nutcases , conspiracy wackos and just general douchbags to hijack the topic and devalue it.

Happens to quite alot of spontaneous social movements actually (occupy wall street being one....)

Other thing I don't get is this , people are complaining about corrupt journalists pushing their social agendas on specific gaming websites. In itself its a fair complaint, but in my opinion the best way to counter it is simply to offer an alternative. If people didn't go to the offending websites, things would change very quickly as those sites would either change their ways, or become irrelevant. Its already starting on youtube and such , but really its the only way in my opinion. Instead they go to Kotaku (giving them the page hits they need), in order to complain about Kotaku...

Reply 12 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

The information is there to see, it's not hearsay an allegations, not "radicalist hate"

Reply 13 of 37, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They don't know what to do since Youtube came around.
It is really hard to compete with video feed of raw gameplay, vs an article often biased\paid off by publishers, so they attack their own audience now 🤣.

TotalBiscuit actually made a good video about the nonsense. If any of you watch his channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78JRIHRjC0&l … BTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

Reply 14 of 37, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can we see examples for this desired "integrity"? Like, a review of Half-Life 2 that actually brings up how bad Route Kanal is giving major deductions in the score (like no HL2 review ever)?

Bringing up Valve games since there's always that 'praise gaben' bias, kinda ironic.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 37, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

I was surprised to learn that nearly half the games-playing public is female. What are they playing, The Sims?

In my childhood boys played with army men and girls played with doll house. I don't know if it's sexism or not, it was just the way it was. Of course, we didn't reject girls who wanted to play army men with us, but such girls were not very common.

I think the whole sexism issue is kinda overrated and overblown - by both sides. I am appalled by the immature gamers who bullied Zoe Quinn. I mean, she contributes to game development and that's the way they treat her? During the era of Ultima and Wing Commander people were more interested in the games themselves instead of mass-bullying a female game developer. Heck ,Quest for Glory was designed by a female - Lori-Ann Cole, that is. And we enjoyed the game thoroughly. And should I mention King's Quest?

On the other hand, I'm also appalled by radical feminists who just love to spread hate towards games. So, yes, many games have tanks and guns and fighter aircrafts, and you ladies have problem with that? Seriously I'd be more impressed by a woman who enjoys playing games with me than whining how sexist computer games are. And I still don't understand what these videos are whining about. Games like Neverwinter Nights and Covert Action perfectly allow you to be a female character, while flight simulators don't even care what your genitalia is. If anything, movies are more sexist than games.

So I still don't understand what the issues are all about.

Let's compare to audiophiles, for example - a community that is even more male-oriented than games. Speakers and amplifiers are stuff made by men for men. Audiophiles often complain about having to cope up with wife acceptance factor, and we sometimes make jokes about women more interested in a speaker's looks instead of sound. Yet, the most knowledgeable and respected person among JBL aficionados is a woman - and her technical knowledge and aptitude surpasses her male counterparts sometimes. There are no immature 4chan audiophiles bullying women, and no radical feminists spreading hatred towards audio enthusiasts either.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all these social issues with games started since gaming become more social phenomenon (and media phenomenon) than simply a hobby. My stance regarding all these sexism is simple: so you're a woman? Hey, this game is great, how about we play it together?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 16 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah, quinn does not contribute to game development, nor is that her intent. They want to kill gaming and use new "games" as a vehicle to preach their social engineering. A good example of her "game" is what she made, no game involved. There are women in gaming who have made actual real games, Centipede, Portal, many more, been doing it for decades and still doing it. What the sjw are trying do is replace gaming.

Reply 18 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Quinn is overblowing the whole thing which IMO is the best thing to do. Exagerating shows us where the problem is and WHO the problem is.
When you look at what Quinn vlogged you must be something really really broken to not see that she is right in a lot of things. Normal people will also see where she sees way too much into it...
Well done, now threatening to kill here because you think she's going to take your toy from you? Wow! Please step back into your caves...

Reply 19 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

>Quinn is overblowing the whole thing which IMO is the best thing to do. Exagerating shows us where the problem is and WHO the problem is.
When you look at what Quinn vlogged you must be something really really broken to not see that she is right in a lot of things. Normal people will also see where she sees way too much into it...

That's one way to spin it, not that it matches up with events.

>Well done, now threatening to kill here because you think she's going to take your toy from you? Wow! Please step back into your caves...

The story isn't about quinn, though it's being attempted to make it so.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/0 … o-the-Spotlight