VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all! I have not used my Emerson CRT flat tv in a while, but when I turned it on, in the upper right corner there seems to be some magnet damage! Now, Its not too bad, only a little spot of it, but the discoloration is somewhat annoying when playing PS2 (Super Pong looks fine though). It must have been near a speaker or something when I wasn't using it? I've tried the method of putting a monitor face to face w/ the TV and degaussing and it has worked before but only for a minute or two then the discoloration creeps back in. I moved my boombox away from the TV, even though it wasnt that close to it anyway, no dice. I hope I dont have to replace this tv with another because I really like the quality so far on this one (lets just hope its not like the quality of emerson VCR's). Thanks

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 1 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahendricks18 wrote:

Hey all! I have not used my Emerson CRT flat tv in a while, but when I turned it on, in the upper right corner there seems to be some magnet damage! Now, Its not too bad, only a little spot of it, but the discoloration is somewhat annoying when playing PS2 (Super Pong looks fine though). It must have been near a speaker or something when I wasn't using it? I've tried the method of putting a monitor face to face w/ the TV and degaussing and it has worked before but only for a minute or two then the discoloration creeps back in. I moved my boombox away from the TV, even though it wasnt that close to it anyway, no dice. I hope I dont have to replace this tv with another because I really like the quality so far on this one (lets just hope its not like the quality of emerson VCR's). Thanks

Look here for a possible solution : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboO2JUvtBM

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 6, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also try putting a small magnet around the affected corner. If you find a position where the flaw is diminished, glue it in place!

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 6, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most TVs have an auto degauss that fires when powered up after being off for some time - it may reduce after being used a few times.

The reset is thermal, so it must be off for something like half an hour to ensure it operates

Reply 5 of 6, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I can try power cycling and Ill watch the YT video. Im in PA right now.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0