Common searches

What to do with all these consoles?!

Topic actions

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys,
Recently I found two Xbox 360's In the trash, one had a HDD and nothing at all wrong with it, the other an easy fix. I also had found a PS1 and a old PC gamepad (a propad 6). I also ordered an original Xbox and I was hoping to mod it or keep it for Xbox games and mod a 360. what are your guys thoughts? I never modded a console but is it like computers? If so it should be easy. I also was going to use the Xbox (or the 360) for emulators but people say its better to mod the original. now would I just burn something to a CD or what? I know the Xbox original don't have USB (just a proprietary one) and I don't have an adapter so yeah. Thanks for reading!

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 1 of 29, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're versed into hardmodding you can transform any of the original XBOX ports into normal USBs with some simple soldering.

Xbox 360 have plenty good games. I'd keep'em, especially if they are from the same hardware revision. Some models are prone to to defects related to soldering points/BGA contacts due to poor lead-free solder used back then. Jasper and Falcon are the most reliable ones from the original model ("fat" version).

Reply 2 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found a smashed Jasper X360 in the trash the other day. I think someone literally took a hammer to it repeatedly. Alas, even though it still powers on with a RRoD (there's quite a bit of shielding in these things, it turns out), there's a big dent on the edge of the motherboard and I doubt there's any way of saving it. I contacted some people on Kijiji who advertise repair services to see if they might want to take it off my hands, but no reply yet.

I also found a PSX in excellent condition in the dumpster, though it was a bit dirty. (Also, the lid wouldn't stay closed, but that was a trivial matter of popping the cover off and massaging the Open button a little.) I don't even know what I'm going to do with it, as I've already got a PS2 and many people suggest the upscaling features of PC emulators are superior anyway.

ahendricks18 wrote:

I also ordered an original Xbox and I was hoping to mod it or keep it for Xbox games and mod a 360. what are your guys thoughts? I never modded a console but is it like computers? If so it should be easy.

Don't you think that's the sort of question you should be asking before you order something?

Some consoles like the Wii, PSP, and PS2 have security exploits in the system software and can be "softmodded", but I'm pretty sure the XBox actually requires additional components to be soldered to the motherboard. So, no, it's entirely unlike computers.

I also was going to use the Xbox (or the 360) for emulators but people say its better to mod the original.

You could run much better emulators on a PC that would cost just as much as what you paid for the XBox.

Reply 3 of 29, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd sell all that junk on eBay and get something cool for that TRS-80.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 4 of 29, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lo Wang wrote:

TRS-80 has shit for games save for a few text adventures. I could get some stuff for my 1000 EX 😊

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 5 of 29, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My understanding of the TRS-80 video game library never grew past Dancing Demon, Outhouse and 13 Ghosts, but that thing you got there is some fine piece of hardware!

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 6 of 29, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, got it off of, the local classifieds for $20.

Reply 7 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TRS-80 CoCo3 had some pretty good arcade conversions, but games were generally pretty crap on the original TRS-80, and the earlier CoCos.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 29, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would any PC gamer use an Xbox/Xbox 360 for emulation? You probably have a better emulator box if you go through your spare parts.

I would keep it anyway though, an Xbox is worth it for Panzer Dragoon Orta.
Not sure I can think of any reasons to keep a Xbox 360, but it has plenty of great games so I'm sure you'll find one.

Reply 9 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZellSF wrote:

Why would any PC gamer use an Xbox/Xbox 360 for emulation? You probably have a better emulator box if you go through your spare parts.

It sort of makes sense if you want something with nice joypads that you can conveniently hook up to a living room TV, but connecting a PC to a TV isn't anywhere near as difficult as it once was, and Kodi (formerly XMBC) is easily installed.

I would keep it anyway though, an Xbox is worth it for Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Breakdown and JSRF are the two exclusives I think of.

Reply 10 of 29, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:

Yep, got it off of, the local classifieds for $20.

20$? one man's trash, another man's treasure!

Before 16-bit home computers became the norm, you had to choose between "toy" computers and "real" computers, and it often happened that the toy computers would have the better graphics (color, hardware sprites, etc) and the real computers the more powerful CPU, and I think that's why the standard TRS-80 (not the coco's) doesn't get much praise for it's games.

The M4 was a beast, it could do anything, even run CP/M without modifications. The quality of it's own OS as well as third parties', the basic interpreter, the rest of the software library and backwards compatibility were over the top, and peripherals as many as you could name. I had a hard time figuring out why the contemporary PC model ended up catching up the way it did in light of the better M4 deal.

Reply 11 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ahendricks18 wrote:

Hello guys,
Recently I found two Xbox 360's In the trash, one had a HDD and nothing at all wrong with it, the other an easy fix. I also had found a PS1 and a old PC gamepad (a propad 6). I also ordered an original Xbox and I was hoping to mod it or keep it for Xbox games and mod a 360. what are your guys thoughts? I never modded a console but is it like computers? If so it should be easy. I also was going to use the Xbox (or the 360) for emulators but people say its better to mod the original. now would I just burn something to a CD or what? I know the Xbox original don't have USB (just a proprietary one) and I don't have an adapter so yeah. Thanks for reading!

If they've been trashed but still worked then they were probably banned from Live! which makes them almost worthless. I wouldn't try selling them unless you know if they've been banned or not or else you'll be having to deal with returns.

Reply 12 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ahendricks18 wrote:
Lo Wang wrote:

TRS-80 has shit for games save for a few text adventures. I could get some stuff for my 1000 EX 😊

The TRS-80 Color Computer had a lot of games.

Reply 13 of 29, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

Hello guys,

If they've been trashed but still worked then they were probably banned from Live! which makes them almost worthless. I wouldn't try selling them unless you know if they've been banned or not or else you'll be having to deal with returns.

I don't know anything about Live as I don't have any interest in consoles. But why can't you just create a new account if you get banned?

Reply 14 of 29, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure the Live account is attached to the console in some fashion. It is not too uncommon to see a console for sale but described as banned from Live.

Reply 15 of 29, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Live accounts aren't attached to the console, but the console would be banned from participating on any Live account if it was banned. However, sometimes MS will forgive bans in mass waves, allowing consoles banned for cheating to be used on Live again.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 16 of 29, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I'm pretty sure the Live account is attached to the console in some fashion. It is not too uncommon to see a console for sale but described as banned from Live.

They can read the serial number directly from the hardware as soon as you try to connect. If it's on the banned list, you can't access Live!

Reply 17 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Original xbox can be soft moded. Mine spends more time in XBMC, Was an excellent media center, but isn't able to play Hi Def video which is getting more and more common.
Anything you don't want sell on ebay or whatever.

Reply 19 of 29, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's no different than if you got a VAC ban with a Steam account that has hundreds of dollars of games. It's harsh punishment to stop cheaters.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98