VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,
I had this old windows xp pc (an HP) with 128 mb ram and some shit celeron CPU. It takes (well, took) a good 15 minutes to load the desktop. That was before I got all of the BS off the HDD. Now, before I potentially pitch it, what do you think I should do with it? I took some parts out for my older AMD athlon but they can easily be put back in the HP. I waas thinking of using it for an FTP or something. I was playing around with filezilla server and set up one on my windows 8 desktop but IDK what I would need the ftp server for anyway. I guess I just need to know what to do before I recycle the damn thing. Thanks!

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 21, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That computer needs:
- More memory.
- A lightweight OS.
- Both.

I really doubt HP shipped a computer with XP and only 128 Mb. I guess it was upgraded to XP or the memory was scavenged.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 21, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or change harddisk to faster 80-120 gb drive and add ram to 512-768 mb and xp will run fine on that pc, or you can use 98SE with that but you must stick to max 512 mb RAM.

Last edited by Tiger433 on 2015-06-23, 20:33. Edited 2 times in total.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 4 of 21, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an HP Pavilion 4550Z that I like quite a lot after some upgrades. It still has the original 466MHz Celeron (66MHz FSB), and the previous owner upgraded it to 192MB SDRAM. I like the case form factor, so I put a few dollars into upgrades.

1. Upgraded the 100W PS. I found a NOS micro ATX 180W PS that provided just enough juice.
2. Added a front-loading CF-to-IDE adapter. This is my favorite part of the machine. I have a bunch of 6GB Hitachi Microdrives, and I use them like "cartridges": one for Win98SE, one for DOS. I may even make other ones for specific sound/video cards.
3. Added a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. The Celeron is a good match for this card. It can play Unreal at 1600x1200 at 27 FPS. Also great for most DOS games save the most processor-intensive.
4. AWE64 Gold. Use it for DOS and Win98SE games.

P1110382_1.jpg

Reply 5 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess if you don't already have a Windows 98 machine and you have a genuine need for such a machine, then it might be useful in that regard, provided it has an AGP slot.

Otherwise, just remove the useful components (it's always nice to have some RAM sitting around) and pitch it.

Reply 6 of 21, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

I guess if you don't already have a Windows 98 machine and you have a genuine need for such a machine, then it might be useful in that regard, provided it has an AGP slot.

Otherwise, just remove the useful components (it's always nice to have some RAM sitting around) and pitch it.

Thanks guys for all the input. I was going to make it some kind of FTP server but I will do that on another of my old PC's using filezilla server. I will just take the good parts and recycle it. I already have a few windows 95 and a windows 98 machines so I dont really need this one. Thanks!

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 10 of 21, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

I really doubt HP shipped a computer with XP and only 128 Mb. I guess it was upgraded to XP or the memory was scavenged.

Nope, you do have big companies rushing to sell XP in 2001 with official 128MB configurations. I can confirm this for Compaq at least. I guess they weren't counting on service pack sludge.

Reply 11 of 21, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen XP computers with 64MB! Borderline unusable, but they did exist.

People would call and ask why their computer was so slow. That was always the easiest, most satisfying upgrade: Install an additional 256MB and see the machines fly! ...well, compared to before

Reply 12 of 21, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminder: There were plenty and many of 32mb P3-class Celeron junkers in 2000, preloaded with Windows98SE and later Me. I do not know if they got 'refurbished' with XP in the following years for their stock.

(to be fair, The Sims can still run on 32MB, and some IE5.5 on the not-as-flash-loaded/popups/java sites there was)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 21, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why not throw some RAM in there and sell it on eBay? It looks like the going price for that sort of machine is around $40-50.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 14 of 21, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you care for privacy and have a reliable internet connection, you could try running an pop3/smtp e-mail server on it.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 15 of 21, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry guys, some great ideas, but I had to pitch a couple PC's out today. 🙁\
An Emachines E-one iMac clone
the HP budget PC
and a shell of an old PC.

My dad wanted them gone, but at least I still have my other machines!

Reply 17 of 21, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Do not feel bad. The world is still full of vintage / retro / scrap PCs and assorted equipment. 😈

Less all the time thanks to the "thrower-outer" attitude.
However XP era stuff isn't usually worth keeping. If it's anything P4 based, you might as well trash it.

Reply 18 of 21, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smeezekitty wrote:
PeterLI wrote:

Do not feel bad. The world is still full of vintage / retro / scrap PCs and assorted equipment. 😈

Less all the time thanks to the "thrower-outer" attitude.
However XP era stuff isn't usually worth keeping. If it's anything P4 based, you might as well trash it.

I find that a bit of a rigid opinion. Everyone's "retro era" is different. Mine happens to fall in the late P3 to P4/AXP era.

Reply 19 of 21, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I beg you be mindful of the following: the time quickly approaches when you'll cry blood for having trashed these now seemingly useless P4's because computer hardware production will cease on a worldwide scale and what's already out there will be the only viable way to do any computing at all.

Nevertheless, high-end P4's + XP make excellent rigs for high end, late 90's - early 2000's gaming, though I understand the root of the perception of worthlessness associated with hardware that's neither older/different enough to merit a retro classification, nor new/powerful enough to run the latest thing.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9