VOGONS

Common searches

Glorious PC Master Race - An Endangered Species

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 34, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PC won't go away, at least for the forseeable future.

Mobile devices are great for what they are, but they aren't built for productivity. Limited OSs, worse performance, ergonomics... it adds up.

The mobile games you speak of were developed on a PC (or Mac, for that matter). It isn't possible yet to do something like that on a tablet. I personally wouldn't want to develop anything on a tablet.

Businesses are still using PCs und will continue using PCs. PC gaming isn't going to go away, because there's still a significant market for it.

Reply 21 of 34, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This elitist attitude about the PC master race is just plain idiotic. So you can afford to spend 700 or more on a decent PC gaming rig. Does that really make you better than the console users happily playing games hassle free? There is room (tons more room actually) in this world for both to exist.

As someone who games on both sides, I see and appreciate the niche each fills.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 22 of 34, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like this has been going on forever. What TRS-80 user didn't get called a trasher by the Apple II crowd? or a C64's a commie by the 800's? Wasn't the ST just a beeping calculator? 🤣

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 23 of 34, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so there's a few things that require clarification:

1: I'm not really taking a side here. I'm saying that, in my opinion, computers are somewhat superior technologically to consoles. However, I'm not saying that they are bad either. They work, after all, and gameplay on them can be enjoyed. In fact I own a PS1 and occasionally play a console game myself.

2: I'm not saying my predictions are definitely going to come true. Hell, I sure hope they are not but still, I may be right. We shall see.

3: I joined the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race group on Facebook purely out of curiosity. I didn't want to actually truly be one of them. I don't take the whole PC vs. Console thing seriously. To each their own. The reason why the Master Race people invoked disgust in me is because I thought they weren't very serious about it either, but they are, and they are vicious towards console gamers. Also, I quit the group some time ago.

4: Even though I do think PC's are technologically superior to consoles, I acknowledge the fact that consoles are better in other ways. For one, they are wonderfully simple when it comes to new game compatibility. On the PC, when a new game comes out it will sometimes require more RAM than you have, or a DirectX 11-compatible GFX card, while yours can only do DirectX 10, sometimes games won't support widescreen resolutions (mainly the older ones, though), and you're stuck with giant black stripes on your 1080p screen, and so on and so forth. You don't have those problems with consoles, you just pop the game in and you're good to go. Good stuff.

Some of you said that I just shouldn't care about the Glorious PC Gaming Master race. That I should do my own thing, not worry about labels. Well, yeah, I can not worry about that, but other people are still going to stick a label on me whether I like it or not. I prefer PC's. That technically makes me a PC supporter and that technically puts me in the same bag as those Master Race idiots. That's what annoys me. I'm just that kind of guy.

Reply 24 of 34, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2: I'm not saying my predictions are definitely going to come true. Hell, I sure hope they are not but still, I may be right. We shall see.

Even if they do come true, it would still be a long way off. My suggestion: don't worry about.

3: I joined the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race group on Facebook purely out of curiosity. I didn't want to actually truly be one of them. I don't take the whole PC vs. Console thing seriously. To each their own. The reason why the Master Race people invoked disgust in me is because I thought they weren't very serious about it either, but they are, and they are vicious towards console gamers. Also, I quit the group some time ago.

The PC Master Race thing is mostly a joke. Some people take it seriously though.
Don't like it? Don't join the group.

4: Even though I do think PC's are technologically superior to consoles, I acknowledge the fact that consoles are better in other ways. For one, they are wonderfully simple when it comes to new game compatibility. On the PC, when a new game comes out it will sometimes require more RAM than you have, or a DirectX 11-compatible GFX card, while yours can only do DirectX 10, sometimes games won't support widescreen resolutions (mainly the older ones, though), and you're stuck with giant black stripes on your 1080p screen, and so on and so forth. You don't have those problems with consoles, you just pop the game in and you're good to go. Good stuff.

This is mostly moot. Consoles aren't updated until a new model is released, many years apart (and at great cost). PCs can be incrementally upgraded.
You would be extremely hard pressed to find a game made in the last 12 years that doesn't support widescreen resolutions. I don't condemn anyone that plays on a console
but I also don't like console systems themselves and wouldn't use one. Too unflexable and locked down.

Some of you said that I just shouldn't care about the Glorious PC Gaming Master race. That I should do my own thing, not worry about labels. Well, yeah, I can not worry about that, but other people are still going to stick a label on me whether I like it or not. I prefer PC's. That technically makes me a PC supporter and that technically puts me in the same bag as those Master Race idiots. That's what annoys me. I'm just that kind of guy.

You are taking the "labeling" wayyy to seriously. You would only be grouped with them if you participate in their idiocy (such as insulting console gamers)

Reply 25 of 34, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Hey look at that, there is something more pointless than the PC master race and the Kardashians - half-witted ramblings about god on the internet.

Laugh all you want, buddy. Before this thread, I had no idea that such a thing as a flying lawnmower existed.

VileRancour wrote:

Oh well - this thread may turn out to be a blessing in disguise by sucking all the fail away from the rest of the forums. It's doing a bang up job so far!

Flying lawnmower. Now!

Reply 28 of 34, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:

Ignore them all you want, but if you seriously think a person should be banned for that, then ban me too.

Ban, no, of course not!

Just a slap on the wrist for habitual derailing/hijacking threads. (And perhaps for labelling people as criminals, as it has done in the past.)

VileRancour wrote:

Now making a point about pride (which some ancient scripture happens to agree with) is not only a reportable offense, but comparable to lopping off the heads of infidels, or whatever that comment was supposed to imply. 🤣

Sorry, I don't know how you got that. It was a comment on how the media handles those groups (i.e. not about the groups themselves), and how giving them that attention (negative or otherwise) plays in to their agenda.

Which is to say, if folk find bible-bashing to be annoying, or counter to the mood/vibe of the place, then ignoring it will be more effective than complaining about it, or commenting on it at all.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 29 of 34, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yasashii wrote:

Well, yeah, I can not worry about that, but other people are still going to stick a label on me whether I like it or not. I prefer PC's. That technically makes me a PC supporter and that technically puts me in the same bag as those Master Race idiots. That's what annoys me. I'm just that kind of guy.

All people associated with the "Glorious PC Master Race" are PC supporters. All PC supporters aren't necessarily associated with the "Glorious PC Master Race".

Just saying.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 30 of 34, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yasashii wrote:

...Well, yeah, I can not worry about that, but other people are still going to stick a label on me whether I like it or not.

You already gave the answer yourself. "People sticking labels on you" is not something you can control. "How do you feel about it" is the thing that you can control. I will be blunt: "Labeling people around" and "feeling bad about labels stuck on you", especially in such trivial matters, is not exactly adult behavior, IMHO.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 31 of 34, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Reddit PCMR wrote:

You don't necessarily need a PC to be a member of the PCMR. You just have to recognize that PC is objectively superior to consoles in every way

End.
You can still play with your uncharted and still not be a peasant.

And cmon, you don't need to take everything for serious.

btw it's not like computers cannot be hooked to 80" plasmas. @philscomputerlab

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 32 of 34, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only people who believe in the "PC gaming master race"/"Console peasants" drivel are teenage virgins (or adults, which is even more depressing) desperate to prove to themselves that they are superior to other people, and they seize on the PC since it has higher numbers (frame-rate, resolution, etc) than consoles so it must be better, and by extension, make PC users better than console users.

It's pathetic, but sadly there are a very vocal minority who think that way, just go to the PC forum of Gamefaqs to see it in countless posts.

Consoles are great, PCs are great, and both deservedly have their fans. Granted, consoles have lost many of their advantages now, whilst PCs have lost some of their disadvantages now, but there are still legitimate reasons for favouring a console over a PC, for many people.

I mean, years back, this was the case:

Advantages of a console:

- No need to worry if your GFX card/CPU/etc are good enough to run a game, it WILL run,

- No need to worry about malware/viruses/driver errors/DirectX/etc

- No need to update the console's operating system,

- Games never need a patch, they always work fine,

- Just put the game in and play, no need to install the game or modify game/compatibility settings.

Advantages of a PC:

- The ability to mod many games, to have new levels, weapons, graphics, etc,

- Almost always the option to have better graphics (frame-rates/resolution/draw distance and often better textures,),

- You can upgrade any part of the PC, which often can result in better frame-rate/resolution/etc/performance,

- The ability to use a wide range of control methods (keyboard + mouse, joypad, trackball, etc) to play the game.

(I know that some people would add to the list that the PC has the advantage that it does many thing other than play games too, which is certainly true, but that's not really a games playing related advantage, plus if you include that then you have to add the to the console advantages list the 'advantage' that modern consoles can be used for social media and stuff, which again is not game related).

Anyway, the problem now is that

But look at how this has changed. The situation is now:

Advantages of a console:

- No need to worry if your GFX card/CPU/etc are good enough to run a game, it WILL run [Mostly still the case, but some games can run jerkily at times, at least until (if) a patch is released to fix this problem]

- No need to worry about malware/viruses/driver errors/DirectX/etc

- No need to update the console's operating system [Sadly you do get mandatory OS updates, and if you don't install them then you can't play later games. They don't take too long (yet!), but they always seem to appear just when you've bought a new game that you can't wait to play]

- Games never need a patch, they always work fine. [This advantage started to die off with the last console generation (XBox 360/PS3), and now it's long gone - for example, Batman: Arkham Knight on the PS4 needed a day one downloadable patch that was 3.5GB in size!]

- Just put the game in and play, no need to install the game or modify game/compatibility settings. [Not really now, PS4 games now need to be installed, which literally can take hours if you include the mandatory download of the necessary patches - it took my mate seven hours to install Batman: Arkham Knight on his PS4, though you could start playing the game during the install]

Advantages of a PC:

- The ability to mod many games, to have new levels, weapons, graphics, etc, [This is dying off somewhat, sadly, but still is a big part of many games. But I still REALLY REALLY wish Bioshock 1 and 2, Timeshift, the Batman: Arkham games, and others, were moddable]

- Almost always the option to have better graphics (frame-rates/resolution/draw distance and often better textures,),

- You can upgrade any part of the PC, which often can result in better frame-rate/resolution/etc/performance,

- The ability to use a wide range of control methods (keyboard + mouse, joypad, trackball, etc) to play the game.

On top of which, problems with PC games are getting rarer and rare, as not only is Windows more stable than it's ever been, but Steem/Good Old Games, etc, do everything they can to make running their games easy and straightforward.

Reply 33 of 34, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im normally not the demotivator guy but this thread makes it hard to resist.

TnolEl.jpg

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.