Common searches

Food - Recipe handouts

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My favourite dish I can brew myself is Gazpacho (which is basically a cold tomato soup).

Ingredients:

(The numbers are roughly for 4-5 persons amount)

some 100g of cottage cheese
1.5 kg of tomatoes
one middle-sized cucumber
one big red sweet pepper
one slice of garlic
two loafs of wheat bread
250g of strained tomatoes (I use either Pomi or Giaguaro, don't have any other around)
3 teaspoons of sugar
1.5 teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1.5 tablespoons of olive oil (if got none, sunflower oil will do instead)
0.5 tablespoons of lemon juice
Tabasco sauce, like 30 drops, but use your taste

Equipment needed:

Big bowl
Big saucepan
A blender like this:
31CQ8gYX6NL._SL246_SX190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg
A steel colander:
depositphotos_1777610-Metal-colander-close-up.jpg
A pounder:
il_214x170.769635756_1nka.jpg

The process:

First, you take your big saucepan and boil the water there. In the meantime, wash your vegetables. Do a x-slice on the top of each tomato.

When the water boils, turn the stove off and put all the tomatoes into the saucepan so that hot water covers them whole. Wait 2 minutes and pour the water away. Now pour in cold water. You need to take out every tomato and peel its skin away.

After peeling the skin, slice each tomato into 4 parts (or even 8 if tomatoes are very big), cut off the penducle. Put tomato slices in the bowl.

Now get your red sweet pepper, slice it, cut out the seed basket, and slice the remaining into pieces. Put into the bowl. Then take the cucumber, peel the skin away and slice the remaining into bits, then put into the bowl. Now take your garlic, take the husk away, cut the remaining in two and squash each half with a flat side of a knife. Throw into the bowl.

Now the bowl contains sliced tomatoes, cucumber, sweet pepper and garlic. Get the blender and blend everything.

Now take your bread loafs and cut the crust away. Cut the remaining into bits and put into the bowl. Wait some 5 minutes for them to soak, then blend again.

Now you need to put the mass through the colander with your pounder or what you got. It is required to get rid of tomato seeds, pepper peel and other rough stuff. When you squash the mass through the colander, it becomes much more tender.

Now it's time to add the spice. Put in the squashed tomatoes (Pomi or Giaguaro or whatever), it adds the darker color and deeper taste. Add the sugar, salt, red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and Tabasco sauce. Mix everything. Add the Tabasco sauce progressively until the poignancy satisfies you. Now cover it and put into the fridge for 3-4 hours to let it infuse.

It is served cold (that's why I only cook this during summer). Stir well before serving as it tends to fractionize when let alone for a long time. Put a bit of cottage cheese (just a teaspoon is usually enough) into each dish, it adds well to the taste of Gazpacho.

This is how it looked today before the troglodyte attack:

Ready to be served:

gazpacho1-preview.jpg

Served:

gazpacho2-preview.jpg

Despite the seemingly long and complicated process, this dish is a no-brainer and takes about a hour to do (not for the first time of course). It is also tasty as hell, otherwise a person as lazy as me wouldn't spend the time to learn and regularly execute this recipe.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 22 of 27, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

15 minute meal.

1 cup of rice
1 or 2 chicken legs/1 whole leg.
2 tbl coconut oil
1/2 or 1 jalepeno
1 clove of garlic
1/2 onion
1 tomato
lime juice
decent amount? cilantro
big spoon full of sour cream
decent amount? turmeric
pepper
1 tbl worcestershire
liberal amount of vinegar, I drench it, 2-4 tbl spoons(1/8-1/4 cup)
1/2 avocado
2 whole dried red peppers, chop up in a food processor

I cook 2-4 pieces of chicken in the oven for 1.5 hrs beforehand then pull from fridge for the week but could cook fresh every time but meal preparation time becomes chicken cook time instead of rice cook time of 15 minutes. Online directions for chicken is to not wash, as it spreads possible salmonella. When I first started I would remove skin then cook, now I just pull from package, put in the oven, the skin keeps it from drying out, much easier to pull off after cooked.

1st thing start boiling rice, two cups water, once boiling add in cup of rice, or rice cooker, whatever.
chop up onion, garlic, jalepeno, tomato, cilantro, avocado
while cooking rice, saute most of onion, jalepeno, all of garlic, dried red pepper in coconut oil, leaving some uncooked onion and jalepeno with the tomato, cilantro and avocado.
While sauteing, chop up the tomato, cilantro and avocado, & prep chicken, pull meat off bone, remove skin, fat, cartilage, chop up meat.
add worcestershire, vinegar, cooked chopped up chicken to pan after onions cooked enough.
add turmeric and pepper to pan, mix & simmer a touch.
turn off heat
add in uncooked onion, jalepeno, tomato, cilantro, avocado, lime (this is basically pico de gallo)
add sour cream, mix together
I've gotten this prepping down where I'm usually still waiting for the rice to finish cooking, when rice is done, mix in with everything else, serves two.

I've also added beans, green bell pepper, ginger, rosemary & mayonnaise to this before.

I don't know what this dish would be called, but I sure do like the taste of it and the nutrition combo is decent. It works out to about $1 per serving so $2 per cooked dish as listed above, is more food per serving and healthier for the same price as a dollar tv dinner and takes about the same amount time to cook.

Last edited by awgamer on 2015-08-15, 01:00. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 25 of 27, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chicken%20N%20Sauce.jpg

How about some strong spiced chicken in sauce?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 27 of 27, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Food........... (haven't eaten whole day 🤣 )

Tomato soup is awesome, my mom makes it some times. I should learn to cook something.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"