VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone taken notice on these news? Looking forward to 2016 here, my self.

http://www.osnews.com/story/28932/A-EON_intro … r_and_the_A1222

http://www.osnews.com/story/28933/Blue_Lion_n … bution_due_2016

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1 of 24, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PPC Amiga is just more typical Amiga crazy.

For OS/2, the new company still doesn't have the source code - it's just a packaging of the last IBM release, with their drivers and binary patches around it.

I can't tell who is crazier though: Amiga true believers, or OS/2 true believers? OS/2 still has use in ATM machines, so I'm leaning Amiga.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 3 of 24, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be interested in a PPC amiga if it was actually affordable. The current ones are so insanely pricey it's not even funny!

As for the OS/2 update I am not sure what to think of it, I mean yeah it's cool that it will be modernized but with linux as big as it is right now then what's the point?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 24, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I'll give a damn about "modern" Amigas when they pull an Apple and go x86.

They should have done it 20 years ago. Pragmatism is why Apple is so big today.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 5 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now if they could get the new Amiga to run the new OS/2, then I'd be impressed.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It runs Linux GREAT!! but will it provide any performance advantage over say a crappy P4? Probably not.
The OS/2 guys seemed to be trying to set an achievable goal. Time will tell.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 24, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

It runs Linux GREAT!! but will it provide any performance advantage over say a crappy P4? Probably not.
The OS/2 guys seemed to be trying to set an achievable goal. Time will tell.

Yeah I tend to agree, other than the novelty of having a PPC computer in 2015 with the Amiga branding there really is no reason to want one of these computers. There is much more software available on Linux and Windows then there is on AmigaOS 4.0 and since it's all proprietary hardware developing software for it is going to still be very niche.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 10 of 24, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The source code to OS/2 is unlikely to be released - there's too much third party code in there. Part of the source code might be available - I don't know.

The question really is what useful enhancements they'll provide, at the moment OS/2 doesn't even have a properly integrated up to date web browser. I would suspect the reason eCS hasn't moved forward quickly, is because the revenue for new OS/2 licenses is practically zero.

As to Amiga, I suspect 'fast' means 'fast compared to past Amigas' instead of 'vaguely comparable to a slow Powermac'

Reply 11 of 24, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ynari wrote:

As to Amiga, I suspect 'fast' means 'fast compared to past Amigas' instead of 'vaguely comparable to a slow Powermac'

I did a good bit of research on the new amigas myself. The hardware is not all to bad, but amigaOS holds it back. As of now amigaOS cannot use more then 2gb of ram and is non smp supportive. Unless if you want to complie a linux/unix OS for the newer PPC cpu it's not to much better. If I recall its about neck and neck with a mig/low range 775 system. With a OS that is built for the newer PPC cpu you could be more along the lines of a higher end 775 system or lower end x58 setup with the x1000 and x5000.

Reply 12 of 24, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If they could once and for all get seamless WinUAE-quality emulation working on OS4, it'd be a keeper.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 13 of 24, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have pretty much every desktop Amiga Commodore made and see no point whatsoever in getting an overpriced PPC board to run OS 4 with no apps and buggy drivers.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 24, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.amigaos.net/applications
http://os4depot.net

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 16 of 24, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How well do those amiga boards run Linux? If this one is fairly cheap, I might want to get it just for the novelty of having a RISC Linux machine.

Their news release shows it running Debian, but I will remain skeptical unless told otherwise.

EDIT:

Also, why on earth doesn't it have more cores/a better CPU? For the price that they are likely to charge for it (considering older Amiga boards), I find it hard to believe that they can't do better than that. For example, Frescale is selling the QorIQ P4081, which is an octacore at 1.5GHz.

Second edit:

Actually, for that matter, they could be selling these with 64 bit quads or any number of PPC chips with significantly better specs in every way.

Third edit:

After trawling through Freescale's product catalog, it looks like they could be getting 8 core PPC parts with SMT, a more advanced microarchitecture, and a clockspeed 1/3 higher for around $300 each in bulk. Given that their previous computers (namely the X1000) retailed for $1700, that's rather insignificant.

Last edited by meisterister on 2015-12-03, 01:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 17 of 24, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meisterister wrote:

How well do those amiga boards run Linux? If this one is fairly cheap, I might want to get it just for the novelty of having a RISC Linux machine.

A Raspberry Pi would be far, far cheaper and more reasonable.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 18 of 24, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a hardcore Amiga user that absolutely won't use anything else but a genuine Amiga OS, there really isn't a cheaper or overall better alternative, there just isn't. Everything else I've come across is rather poorly supported and kind of all over the place.

I myself have no real need for it, but OS4 on top of modern PPC hardware becomes a very powerful, responsive and flexible system.

Reply 19 of 24, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

/\ I hardly believe the PPC hardware they use can be considered modern. And lack of SMP is absurd. And this is the problem with modern "Amigas" - unless you REALLY want to use AmigaOS on a machine that somewhat resembles something modern no one has any need for one of those. And thus, as its user base does nothing but shrink, it will eventually die a silent death. Going x86 would greatly lower the entry barrier for new users (lower price and the hability to use their pre-existing hardware), and SMP support + the fact they would be running in faster processors would allow it to use software decoding for multimedia to somewhat compensate for the lack of support from hardware vendors. Then they could just built cheap Pentium Dual Core machine, stick to well supported hardware and sell them at a much lower price as well for those that want a branded machine.