VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just posted in the VOGONS' Windows forum a thread about trying to get an old demo of a game to work, since the demo just throws up a couple of errors during/after installation, and then doesn't run no matter how often I double click on the icon or program file. Anyway, this prompts two questions:

1. Is there a program that can copy the text from an error message, and then allow you to paste it into a forum or text file? Otherwise, you're stuck doing it manually, which isn't great since the text can be very important, and we humans have a tendency to mistype the odd letter or two. You'd think by now Windows would let you copy the text, and failing that, are there any (hopefully free) third-party programs to do this?

2. When I start this demo, nothing happens, not even a message. And nothing starts in the Task Manager (that I can see, anyway). So is there a program/method that I can do something (start a third party programmed designed for this, for example), then start the demo, then (when nothing appears to happen with the demo), then I can see what, if anything, the demo did? I.e. did it open a program then close it a millisecond later, or whatever?

Thanks for any answers.

Reply 2 of 5, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the error box that pops up does not allow copy/paste, you can take a screenshot with the PrtScrn key and paste into Paint. Save as JPG for posting.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 5, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

1: Windows does let you do this... Have you even tried selecting a dialog window and hitting ctrl-c then pasting it somewhere?

No, that just creates a graphical image, not text.

clueless1 wrote:

If the error box that pops up does not allow copy/paste, you can take a screenshot with the PrtScrn key and paste into Paint. Save as JPG for posting.

I know, thanks, but that way you run the risk of passing on the typing to someone else, as that person (someone who tries to help with your query) might need the error message, or part of it, as text, say for a google search. You'd think you could, for example, right-click over the error box, then select "Copy text from error box", and then paste the text into any text editor.

Reply 4 of 5, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. When a system errors occur on a modern Windows system, details about the error are tracked and recorded into the administrative logs. You can access these by going into the Control Panel, accessing "Administrative Tools", and going into the "Event Viewer". You may be surprised at the sheer amount of things Windows is tracking all day, every day. For errors generated by programs, it really depends on how the program was written, as most developers aren't really thinking about this sort of thing. Many programs keep log files at the very least which may record these kinds of details.

2. Try altering compatibility settings for the program. If a program immediately closes without generating an error message it means the program is telling itself to shut down for whatever reason, which again, is likely going to be a developer oversight more than anything else, unless the program is actually a virus or malware in disguise. Run it through your scanning programs just to be safe and if it comes up clean then the best guess is it simply doesn't work properly on a modern Windows system.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 5, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

1: Windows does let you do this... Have you even tried selecting a dialog window and hitting ctrl-c then pasting it somewhere?

No, that just creates a graphical image, not text.

It definitely does not:

[Window Title] Confirm Save As […]
Show full quote

[Window Title]
Confirm Save As

[Content]
New Bitmap Image.bmp already exists.
Do you want to replace it?

[Yes] [No]

All text. What you get when you copy most dialog boxes in Windows. If you're getting a screenshot from hitting ctrl-c, you have some weird third party program interfering.