VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do any of the old school flight sims like Falcon 3 or 4.0 support ultra high resolutions (for the time) of 1900x1200? Or higher even?
I was thinking a flight sim would look pretty bitching on one of those modern ultra-wide monitors.

Reply 1 of 16, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Almost certainly not. The highest I remember any DOS games running was 1024x768.

Windows games, though, are often limited only by your OS-supported resolutions. I remember playing MS Flight Simulator 98 across three monitors, as Windows 98 introduced the ability to use multiple video cards. The combined resolution was likely greater than 1920x1080. (Center monitor at the time could do 1280x1024, IIRC, and the two sides could do 1024x768.)

The biggest problem for a modern display is lack of OS support for those resolutions. Windows 98 certainly can't be run on a modern 4K-wide display!

Reply 2 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem is also that many older games (prior to 2000) didn't support wide resolution modes, simply because widescreen monitors didn't exist back then (at least, for the consumer market).

Reply 3 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also common VBE extensions didn't really have much widescreen resolutiosns specified to begin with, unless you count 320x200/640x400/1280x800 as 16:10.

The most old highres game I can think of that applies is Jane's US Navy Fighters and ATF, featuring 1024x768 support (for 1994!)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 16, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Falcon 3.0 is a DOS game, the only resolution is 320x200, in Dosbox you can scale it up to your desktop resolution, but this is probably not what you want.

Falcon 4.0 is a Windows game (if you can call it that) and supports a wide range of resolutions, but hardly anyone still plays this vanilla as there is BMS Falcon, which probably supports 4k monitors but I don't know for certain (plus you need a monster PC as this is still a single core application).

Reply 5 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

wile not quite a flight sim. MW2 for dos supported upto 1024x768. and 1024x768 is the highest I seen for any dos game or app for the matter.

Reply 6 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

USNF supported 1024x768 for sure. I could be wrong, but it seems like it might've supported 1280x1024? But that's a rare exception for a DOS game. The Build Engine games also supported 1024x768, but can't remember if they went any higher than that.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

USNF supported 1024x768 for sure. I could be wrong, but it seems like it might've supported 1280x1024? But that's a rare exception for a DOS game. The Build Engine games also supported 1024x768, but can't remember if they went any higher than that.

Does it? I own both USNF '97 and Fighters Anthology, and neither games support resolution higher than 1024x768. Mind you, the floating MFDs are painfully small in such resolution.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Does it? I own both USNF '97 and Fighters Anthology, and neither games support resolution higher than 1024x768. Mind you, the floating MFDs are painfully small in such resolution.

Like I said, I could be wrong. I have the game, but unfortunately it does not work on my current DOS PC due to conflict with BIOS Shadowing that cannot be disabled. I had it running on a different PC but it's been over a year and I can't remember.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I own both USNF '97 and Fighters Anthology, and neither games support resolution higher than 1024x768. Mind you, the floating MFDs are painfully small in such resolution.

There is a 'Large Windows' option in Fighters Anthology to enlarge the MFDs. However, the cockpit backdrop images only work in 800x600 and lower.

Here is a recent post of someone trying to hack in 1920x1080: Custom resolutions (kind of works)
I am in doubt though, wheter going above 1024x768 makes such a game more pleasing to look at.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 16, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

The Build Engine games also supported 1024x768, but can't remember if they went any higher than that.

One Unit Whole Blood supports resolutions up to 1280x1024.

EDIT:
The Pro Pinball series games (Timeshock, Big Race USA) DOS versions support resolutions up to 1600x1200.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 11 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Like I said, I could be wrong. I have the game, but unfortunately it does not work on my current DOS PC due to conflict with BIOS Shadowing that cannot be disabled. I had it running on a different PC but it's been over a year and I can't remember.

Well I guess you have to rely on mods and remakes for resolution above 1024x768. Anyway, have you heard about Total Air War 2.0? The game is basically enthusiast remake, and it supports modern resolution.

gerwin wrote:
There is a 'Large Windows' option in Fighters Anthology to enlarge the MFDs. However, the cockpit backdrop images only work in 8 […]
Show full quote

I own both USNF '97 and Fighters Anthology, and neither games support resolution higher than 1024x768. Mind you, the floating MFDs are painfully small in such resolution.

There is a 'Large Windows' option in Fighters Anthology to enlarge the MFDs. However, the cockpit backdrop images only work in 800x600 and lower.

Here is a recent post of someone trying to hack in 1920x1080: Custom resolutions (kind of works)
I am in doubt though, wheter going above 1024x768 makes such a game more pleasing to look at.

Ah yes, the "Large Windows" option. Still no cockpit though. 🙁

I still wish there would be a 3D API remake for Fighters Anthology, like Direct3D remake, or OpenGL remake. I mean, they do it for first-person shooters, so why not flight sims? 🙁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 12 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still wish there would be a 3D API remake for Fighters Anthology, like Direct3D remake, or OpenGL remake. I mean, they do it for first-person shooters, so why not flight sims? 🙁

Normally I would agree, though I am not to greedy in this case. Fighters Anthology rounds up the previous titles nicely, and it runs without too much problems on modernish PCs. If the FA graphics would be any sharper, it would increasingly show the uglyness of some of the older USNF models. In addition USNF and even Jane's USAF have this problem where actual flying speed is too low. I heard of someone playing USAF at 2x time compression to compensate. There is also the fact that a (survey) flight sim is the most demanding type of game to program and model: Lots of physics and avionics, lots of nitpicking on aircraft shapes and features.

IMO A merged and modded Strike Fighters is the only thing close to actually delivering the same gameplay in a proper engine. Just that it has no logic for helicopters, and no funky midi music either.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Normally I would agree, though I am not to greedy in this case. Fighters Anthology rounds up the previous titles nicely, and it runs without too much problems on modernish PCs. If the FA graphics would be any sharper, it would increasingly show the uglyness of some of the older USNF models. In addition USNF and even Jane's USAF have this problem where actual flying speed is too low. I heard of someone playing USAF at 2x time compression to compensate. There is also the fact that a (survey) flight sim is the most demanding type of game to program and model: Lots of physics and avionics, lots of nitpicking on aircraft shapes and features.

I guess you're right. Well at least we can try "2D FSAA", using both DirectDraw to OpenGL wrapper and FXAA or MLAA. Haven't got the chance to try it myself though.

gerwin wrote:

IMO A merged and modded Strike Fighters is the only thing close to actually delivering the same gameplay in a proper engine. Just that it has no logic for helicopters, and no funky midi music either.

Indeed. 🙁

Things being said, I like "survey sim". They tend to give the right balance between realism and playability. And no, I ain't really no "hardcore flightsimmer".

Reply 14 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a sim but CyberBykes did have 1280x1024 support in 1995 😀

The potential was always there, the CPUs weren't though, and games were already struggling to get to 640x480 by that point, being the luxury niche res for a while that the common ISA bus is totally crap for

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Not a sim but CyberBykes did have 1280x1024 support in 1995 😀

The potential was always there, the CPUs weren't though, and games were already struggling to get to 640x480 by that point, being the luxury niche res for a while that the common ISA bus is totally crap for

IIRC Quake II could run at 1152x864 on Riva TNT 2. CMIIW, It seems OpenGL games tend to be more flexible when it goes to resolution.