Common searches

Oldschool multiplayer in 2017

Topic actions

First post, by UncleBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! 😀

This question might be a bit unusual but I hope it'll be okay.

I created some Let's Play videos in the past and always wanted to play games with other people. However it was often difficult to find someone to play games with, especially older ones (imagine Doom 1).
Now imagine it was early 2017. I should have decent internet access by then (which I don't have now).

So the question is: How many people would I find here who would be interested in playing games with me in multiplayer? I don't really care which games, because I hope to play/try many games over time, but first I'd like to begin with older games (1990-2000s).

The idea is to play whatever games I find people for to play with and then capture a video of the gameplay session. The focus would be just on playing the game and having fun. If the resulting videos are fun enough to watch then I would consider creating a Youtube channel and putting the videos on there. I imagine it would be more fun to have some people to talk to via voice chat, but that is not required.

Does anyone of you like this idea? If you don't, maybe you know some other person who wants to play older multiplayer games. Or maybe you know a site where I could ask, too? (I'm not sure how many oldschool fans are out there...)

Just to name a few games which I'd like to play some time:
(the well known ones)
Doom, Diablo, Half-Life, StarCraft, Thief, ...
(the lesser known ones)
Chasm: The Rift, Lamentation Sword, Clonk, ...

If you like the idea please feel free to suggest a game to play. I'd like to try some games I haver never played, too.

If necessary I would also do the "dirty work" and try to get the games running for other people.
In case anyone wants to know "who I am" beforehand I could also upload a short introduction video when the time has come.

Thank you and have a good day. 😀

Reply 2 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps it would be a good idea to also see which old games can still be multiplayered online.

Total Annihilation may still be played online?

AVP2 also had a 3rd party master server, but I don't know if this is still in running condition.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 36, by UncleBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This would all be internet play, because I assume most people would be too far apart for local play. 😉
My timezone is UTC+1 and I live in Germany.

So, what's the reason for the lack of interest? Is my proposal awkward or do most people just not want to play older games in multiplayer? I would be thankful for some feedback here.

Since I'm basically only looking for some players: Does anyone know of a website where I could look for people?

Reply 4 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tribes 2 might still have a community online. Is there a patch available allowing third party servers for Homeworld?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 36, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Ut99 and quake3 can still be played online. Cs1.6 can too.

If we need a server I'm sure I could help or maybe lucky bob?

I have 17.8 down and 1.2up witch should be more than enough for older games. My pings are around 180ms from mid Ohio to London. Might become a problem, but I will be buying a better modem soon witch should help.

Vogons retro game server anyone?

Reply 8 of 36, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't have the time to play but would be interested in watching, especially if you do a review or history of the game as well.

Reply 9 of 36, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
UncleBob wrote:

So, what's the reason for the lack of interest? Is my proposal awkward or do most people just not want to play older games in multiplayer? I would be thankful for some feedback here.

Awhile back I proposed a similar idea, with an open source FPS (Xonotic). I figured being open source, it would eliminate any issues with getting an old game working in multiplier on today's internet (Xonotic is super easy to get going in multiplayer), and there would be no cost involved in getting the game. But interest was minimal, and there ended up being some negativity about some behind-the-scenes politics with the game itself. In the end it wasn't worth the trouble. 😀

So my suggestions to you are: find a game that is easy to set up for multiplayer (i.e. doesn't require a dial-up modem 🤣 ), free or low cost, and easily obtained (eg, can buy for cheap at GOG). Preferably, be prepared to give a tutorial on setting the game up to join, otherwise people will lose interest if it's too complicated to get up and running. Time zones will always be an issue. You won't be able to accommodate everyone, so just pick times that you are available and hopefully enough peole can make it at that time.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 36, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

This is why I suggested UT99, quake3 or cs1.6.
or maybe open arena? its the same as quake 3 and is free/open.

Maybe I jump the gun and just setup a game server? out of those 3 what would you like to see guys?
I don't really play cs1.6 or quake. I'n not sure what it takes to setup a ut99 server, but I'll find out.

Reply 16 of 36, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's pretty easy to setup a UT99 server, all you need to do is forward ports 7777 and 7778 UDP and then use either one of these command lines:

List of GameInfos to put into '?Game=' option:
BotPack.DeathMatchPlus (Deathmatch)
BotPack.TeamGamePlus (Team Deathmatch)
BotPack.CTFGame (Capture the Flag)
BotPack.Domination (Domination)
BotPack.Assault (Assault)

Examples:

For GUI (You can use the Preferences menu and interact with the server console):
UnrealTournament.exe DM-Stalwart?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus -server

For cmd.exe (No interaction whatsoever, but supposedly runs smoother than the former):
UCC.exe server DM-Stalwart?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus

Remember to match the map to load to the Game being used. DM- for DeathMatchPlus. CTF- for CTFGame ,etc.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

Ut99

It's been too long since I last played any version of UT!
I'd have to admit I never played ut99 online, but I have played Unreal in a LAN and 2003, 2004 and 3 online and/or in a LAN 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 36, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:

Maybe we could have like weekly session with old game of choice.

Last night was really fun though 😁
I got kicked around very badly by Jade Falcon 🤣

Report spammers here!