VOGONS

Common searches

Humour Thread: Outrageously priced retro gear for sale online

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 640 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1PC-used-Creative-CT439 … 1160?nav=SEARCH

!!!!! 😳 Is this the norm now a day's?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 641 of 1353, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

Nope. This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of range for what these normally go for (like $20 - $50 USD).

Reply 642 of 1353, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's called setting the bar.
If someone buys it for 300 GBP (370 USD) the next one will be in that range or more.
Same thing with the CT1330A, not much games support its features but the price is way over the roof.
The fact that its high price comes only from its rarity, and not from usefulness value, is pure ignorance in my opinion.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 643 of 1353, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

... is pure ignorance in my opinion.

Gosh you have a lot of opinions James-f 🤣

People have their reasons for paying what they pay, they're not as dumb as you might think. And the CT1330A is kinda rare, so sellers can reasonably charge a premium. Same as an Adlib card - there's no practical reason for buying one of those as far as I can tell, but they're collectable, so logic doesn't apply.

You think the OPLSAx cards are the bees knees, I think they're as dull as dishwater - everyone is different 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 645 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So.... Basically speaking. There is no way for newcomers to this hobby, getting a chance of buying an AWE64 Gold on eBay these day's? What a shame. Happy to have mine then, I guess.

Reply 646 of 1353, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

So.... Basically speaking. There is no way for newcomers to this hobby, getting a chance of buying an AWE64 Gold on eBay these day's? What a shame. Happy to have mine then, I guess.

Of course there is! Someone here bought one for 5 bucks the other day I seem to recall. They just might have to wait a few weeks for a reasonably priced one to come along. Or they could buy a Value AWE64 for a few bucks and get exactly the same experience.

Disaster averted.

Reply 647 of 1353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

Of course there is! Someone here bought one for 5 bucks the other day I seem to recall. They just might have to wait a few weeks for a reasonably priced one to come along. Or they could buy a Value AWE64 for a few bucks and get exactly the same experience.

Disaster averted.

But it won't sound as good without the bling bling and the Shaman magic.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 648 of 1353, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
James-F wrote:

Why, Yes!
I have been fortunate to analyze a few cards and even bust some myths that held strong for decades, thus formulating real down-to-earth opinions in the process. 😎
A little know-how, some elbow grease and a puff of air is all it took to remove the magical smoke screen... I like to see a thing for what it is.

[b]1 Samuel 16:7[/b] wrote:

But the Lord said unto Samuel, “Look not on his countenance or on the height of his stature, because I have refused him; for the Lord seeth not as man seeth. For man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.”

Reply 649 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:
Why, Yes! I have been fortunate to analyze a few cards and even bust some myths that held strong for decades, thus formulating r […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote:
James-F wrote:

Why, Yes!
I have been fortunate to analyze a few cards and even bust some myths that held strong for decades, thus formulating real down-to-earth opinions in the process. 😎
A little know-how, some elbow grease and a puff of air is all it took to remove the magical smoke screen... I like to see a thing for what it is.

[b]1 Samuel 16:7[/b] wrote:

But the Lord said unto Samuel, “Look not on his countenance or on the height of his stature, because I have refused him; for the Lord seeth not as man seeth. For man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.”

Personally I do not understand all that religion stuff. 🤣 (religion is just too wierd for me) 😁

Reply 650 of 1353, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
brostenen wrote:

Disaster averted.

Hmmm. That must have slipped my attention.
But you are right. Sometimes there is a bargain to find on eBay, and I am well aware that they can be found cheaper locally. 😀
I was just looking them up because I was kind of qurious about prices right now. Basically gave me a shock. 😳

I agree on the Value(basic) edition gives the same kind of experience.
I just think the Gold looks so much better, and I kind of like building a machine when I use a gold over the Value.
There is just something different about the Gold. Something I can not put my finger on. It's just "different".

Reply 651 of 1353, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

Why, Yes!

Yes and I found your investigations very interesting, but the point I'm trying to make is that while you obviously value specific things about a sound card, others place value on rarity, nostalgia, etc. Stamping your foot and accusing people who think differently of being ignorant (and quoting bible verse 🤣 ) isn't really viable (in my opinion).

Reply 652 of 1353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia and collectibility, but the mysticism that sometimes surrounds vintage parts (cult of the Voodoo 5) shouldn't extend to tangibles like performance.

Reply 653 of 1353, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia and collectibility, but the mysticism that sometimes surrounds vintage parts (cult of the Voodoo 5) shouldn't extend to tangibles like performance.

Why? 95% of my collection is pointless junk based on tangibles like performance 😢

Reply 654 of 1353, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm just saying that a device won't necessarily sound, look, or perform great just because it's rare, desirable, or expensive. And people shouldn't argue that it does on that basis.

Reply 655 of 1353, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have to remind us that old computer cards are are collectible and useful only when there is request, unlike diamonds, computer hardware becomes worthless piece of junk when the craze is over.
After 25 years of personal computer development it is still interesting to play the old stuff on the real hardware mainly because it is not accurately emulated.

The truth is WE the community created/raised the value on these old junk hardware, without US the landfills would have been swarming with Voodoo5's, CT1330As and AWE64 Golds.
I assure everyone, we will get bored some day collecting this junk and nobody would want to buy it from us.

2000's kid don't give a sh*t about voodoo-shmoodoo or some antique sound card, nor will they be building a childhood PC.
It's only us 80s and 90s kids tossing around old junk while raising its price and "value" like we're dealing diamonds.

Reply 656 of 1353, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, don't forget us 70's kids. To us, computers and consoles were the perfect night time toy's. Mainly because we went out and played during the day. I don't see how millennials can stay at a rig or console all day, day in and day out, with their phones glued to their side. Friend of mine is raising two of them, and if it wasn't for school, they would glue their eyes to a display. What the hell happened?