Name of a old pc game

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
when we bought the first 386SX system, it came with a dos game I never found the name of. The folder of the game I remember was "Sword" and it was a platform and a usual warrior with a sword and the usual "beat the enemy and go on" plot. It wasn't Golden Axe and a thing I remember that he could also go up and down stairs (vertically bidimensional) and I think it had vga graphic and quiet good. Probably considering it it was released aroudn 1990/92 years.
I can't remember more but I wanted to find it cause I never saw it again in more than 20 years.
Thank!

Reply 2 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Are you certain about the word "sword" ?

For some reason I want to say Knight Force.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aogJrpBqcB0

Unfortunately it's not this. The sprite for the warrior was smaller. The color palette of the game was on the "brown" color side and generally darker.
The word Sword was absolutely the name of the folder but I'm not sure also the executable and the game shared that name.
Other thing I remember the sprite could not go tridimensionally like Golden axe, only left rigth up and down.

Reply 3 of 20, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First post had me thinking of Stormlord, and since you mention darkness and brownness it sounds like a good fit except for the lack of a sword. 😉 But maybe you could say if it looks closer to what you're thinking of.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

😢 I don't think he was a ninja. More probably an undefined time warrior like golden axe. It's hard to remember cause I didn't play it much, I think it was erased for disk space reasons (49mb of disk 😵 ) in the early weeks.

Reply 6 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

First post had me thinking of Stormlord, and since you mention darkness and brownness it sounds like a good fit except for the lack of a sword. 😉 But maybe you could say if it looks closer to what you're thinking of.

It's not this but the general ambientation would remember it. 😀
The character of the game had no beard for sure. One thing I remember that the game was probably designed to move a lot vertically (like on stairs from an area to another) and like the one you mentioned with the "terrain" section between them.

Reply 9 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote:

Have a look at this similar request and look particularly at the "Similar-ish games it's NOT" section:

https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmyjoystick/comm … rolling_action/

There were DOS ports for a lot of these titles.

None of them, unfortunately... 🙁
The more I see these games and the more I think it was probably a bit earlier cause the general graphic was more compact and less vibrant in colors.
The only thing I'm sure is the folder Sword (or Swords) and usually it'd reflect the name game with every dos game I remember of.

Reply 10 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

How about Lone Wolf: The Mirror of Death?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvelpmpaX2o

The type of game was very similar with same gameplay, but I remember a darker palette.

Reply 13 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

It's not this but I'd say the gameplay and ambientation being really close. Maybe this one is a bit better on graphic side.

Reply 16 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
akula65 wrote:

How about the DOS Rastan port from Taito:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGxAEaC69J4

It is not this I think the sprite was less high and maybe the enviroment a bit less coloured. Nice game Rastan by the way.. 😎

Reply 17 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rygar? That's sort of like Rastan.

Reply 18 of 20, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Rygar? That's sort of like Rastan.

I don't think it's Rygar. I still can't beleive that the folder name was just different from the game name.

Reply 19 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried doing a Google search for <"sword.exe" "dos">, but that only turned up Sword of Aragorn, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, The Sword of Frost, and Lamentation Sword, none of which seem to be likely candidates.

Maybe it's some ancient shareware game.