VOGONS

Common searches

Virtual Reality Studio/3D Construction Kit games

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
runner_008.png
Filename
runner_008.png
File size
4.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

[EDIT: You can now download my own VRS2 game, Ghost of Wumpus v1.1 here.]

Recently I have taken an interest in Incentive Software's Virtual Reality Studio (known by the original title "3D Construction Kit" in Europe). Since the beginning of the year, I've been searching the internet for MS-DOS games made with it. I've uploaded a zip file of most of my finds (all appear to be freeware, shareware, or public domain). If anyone knows where to find any others, please let me know, and I'll add them!

Here's the link:
http://radiopoultry.com/oldgames/vrs/vrs.zip

Yes, they aren't exactly known for their great quality (some are practically broken), but I nevertheless found a number of these pretty interesting, such as 3D Trek, Dr. Spoil Sport, and especially the fLAtDiSk VR Dream series. In addition, Eerie Estates was the first game using the Freescape engine I ever played (back in the mid-90s), so it was cool to find it again.

In the archive I have included the following VR Studio programs:

3D Land (Gary Acord)
3D Trek (Scott Douglas)
3D House (Charles Carr)
Adam
Belmay
Burrito Adventure (WordRescue Games)
Eerie Estates (Sherwood Forest Software)
Escher Demo
fLAtDiSk VR Dream series (Rich La Bonté)
The House (Digital Reality)
Lost (Digital Reality)
Menace of Dr. Spoil Sport (David Leithauser)
Various programs by Mieke van der Poll
Mino Dino Demo (VRontier worlds of Stoughton)
Studio Game (included with Virtual Reality Studio 1.0)
Suite*3D (Lee Shapiro)
XLR8 (VRontier worlds of Stoughton)
Zapper (Gary Acord)

Also, a few months ago, I purchased a copy of Virtual Reality Studio 2.0 off eBay. I may release some of my own creations here later.

Last edited by RadioPoultry on 2017-03-10, 01:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 14, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I've played 3D House... I know I've played one of those 3D Construction Kit games in the past, I just can't remember which. :P

If you're interested in the 3D Construction Kit you may also be interested in the Freescape engine which powers it. Castle Master is one of the Freescape games which came before and I had covered it in Episode 140 of my web show last year. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 14, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote:

Thanks for this! I have the 3D Construction Kit for the ZX Spectrum, but never made anything more than a few experimental objects.

Cool! I'm always impressed that they managed to get not just the 3D engine, but also the game creation system working on computers like the ZX Spectrum and the Commodore 64.

leileilol wrote:

also ugh gary acord

Indeed. Though these didn't seem to be anywhere as trashy and stolen as his later work appears to be, so I didn't mind including them.

Gemini000 wrote:

If you're interested in the 3D Construction Kit you may also be interested in the Freescape engine which powers it. Castle Master is one of the Freescape games which came before and I had covered it in Episode 140 of my web show last year. :B

And donated by me! 😁 I do wonder how closely 3D Construction Kit resembles the tools Incentive developed to create their Freescape games. In theory, you could make a game nearly identical to Castle Master with it. You couldn't do the mountains on the horizon, you'd probably use the built-in "zapper" feature instead of throwing rocks, standing and crawling would work differently, and the response of keyboard controls would be inferior, but that's every significant difference I can think of. None of these listed games which I've played are anywhere close to Castle Master in quality, though.

Reply 5 of 14, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always wondered why they didn't make the game files machine-independent and just port the game engine to various systems. Then you could trade game files between different versions of the program.

I had an Amiga and the only 3D Construction Kit game I remember being halfway decent (out of the ones I played) was one where you explored the wreck of the Titanic. It seemed fairly well done and I was really getting into it until I hit a bug that allowed me to leave the confines of the ship and fly around outside it.

Reply 6 of 14, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RadioPoultry wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

And donated by me! :D

Oh yeah... duh. XD

I'm terrible with names so it completely skipped my mind that you were the one who sent that in since I was remembering your actual name and not your internet moniker! :B

RadioPoultry wrote:

I do wonder how closely 3D Construction Kit resembles the tools Incentive developed to create their Freescape games. In theory, you could make a game nearly identical to Castle Master with it. You couldn't do the mountains on the horizon, you'd probably use the built-in "zapper" feature instead of throwing rocks, standing and crawling would work differently, and the response of keyboard controls would be inferior, but that's every significant difference I can think of. None of these listed games which I've played are anywhere close to Castle Master in quality, though.

Similarities for sure. I think if you wanted to make a game like Castle Master with the 3D Construction Kit you'd have to go one step beyond and find a way to implement your own code into the engine. No idea if they actually had source code to purchase or not.

Also that "zapper" is very much like what was in Elite and LineWars. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 14, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The software comes with a pretty cool sound effects editor. Three editors in one, really. There are separate editors for PC speaker, AdLib... and Roland. I'm kind of surprised by that last one. This is one of the reasons it's good to have a legitimate copy of old software: the most easily accessible "abandonware" copies floating around on the web are missing the files from the second installation disk, which includes the sound editor and all the pre-built worlds and objects.

sefedit_000.png
Filename
sefedit_000.png
File size
5.56 KiB
Views
File license
sefedit_001.png
Filename
sefedit_001.png
File size
3.8 KiB
Views
File license
sefedit_002.png
Filename
sefedit_002.png
File size
3.73 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9 of 14, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a picture of the box and contents. Makes me wish I had a VCR to watch the introduction video, but it's available online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1JF75oZVoQ, so no big deal. The manual is lacking in a lot of ways, but it's absolutely essential for doing any programming. No one seems to have put that online yet. The earlier version's manual is online, but 2.0 added a lot more commands.

vrs2contents.jpg

Reply 10 of 14, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got around to making my own VRS2 game. It is called...

GHOST of WUMPUS

You can download it here.

As you may have guessed, it's based on "Hunt the Wumpus" by Gregory Yob. Here's a gameplay video of my version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz9XJWxB_E0

The first challenge was to create a system for the scrolling text you see on the left. There wasn't a lot of space on screen for both text and the 3D view, and I'm only allowed 1000 characters total for all my strings, so the terse style of "Wumpus" was appropriate.

I completely reworked the controls from the VRS2 default. VRS1 had better keyboard handling than VRS2 (I suppose they had their reasons for changing it), but I've tried compensate as bet I can. One of the biggest improvements I made was that it now checks the system timer every second to see how much you (and the rest of the world) should be moving every frame. As a result, you can now play the game on a much faster computer than VRS was made for. (And get some smooth animation!) Also, you can't force your way through corners now (which I recently discovered you can do on pretty much every VRS program ever). I don't think these changes would have been possible without Incentive's fortunate decision to add COS and SIN functions to this version.

Something I only noticed yesterday and had to fix was that random numbers are seeded the same way every time you quit and start the program over. (There's no way to select the seed.) My solution was to continually pick random numbers at the very beginning until a second ticks off on the system timer.

I kinda would have liked to have added more detail to the game, but I was already running low on the little bit of memory I'm allowed to use for that purpose. (Less than 3 kilobytes left of about 60 to start with.) I think there are ways around this, but I feel like this was a pretty good place to stop.

In other news, a couple months ago I found a boxed copy of the original Virtual Reality Studio at a Goodwill Outlet (along with a bunch of other old software). I thought this was miraculous. How many people in my area ever used VRS, let alone still had a copy to donate? And that I should find it during the few hours that it would be there... (Goodwill Outlet cycles through its merchandise every day). I think that's part of what inspired me to work on this.

Reply 11 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

also ugh gary acord

You had to know he'd show up. 🤣

I once had a boxed copy of this. Probably the first piece of software I actually remember buying as opposed to pirating... I must've been around 12. IIRC I played around with it for a day or two and decided it was crap.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 12 of 14, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:
leileilol wrote:

also ugh gary acord

I just discovered a few days ago that Gary Acord's "3D Land" game is actually stolen from a AOL user named VirtualGem. He just took the source materials that VirtualGem released for a world called "Gem1", haphazardly threw in a few objects, added a new border (which mixed-up the color palette completely), and somehow in his fiddling broke the listings for mouse and joystick support.

gem1_vs_3Dland.gif

Gah. I'll include the original Gem1 in the next volume of old VRS games I upload.

I don't know if Acord's "Zapper" is original or not, but fool me once...

Reply 13 of 14, by RadioPoultry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I updated Ghost of Wumpus last year (mostly adjustments to the controls and to how doorways work), but I never got around to uploading it. Here it is now.

Download the newest version here!

runner_006.png
Filename
runner_006.png
File size
3.96 KiB
Views
File license

I think I'll edit the original post to include this game as well.

Reply 14 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RadioPoultry wrote:
I just discovered a few days ago that Gary Acord's "3D Land" game is actually stolen from a AOL user named VirtualGem. He just t […]
Show full quote
VileRancour wrote:
leileilol wrote:

also ugh gary acord

I just discovered a few days ago that Gary Acord's "3D Land" game is actually stolen from a AOL user named VirtualGem. He just took the source materials that VirtualGem released for a world called "Gem1", haphazardly threw in a few objects, added a new border (which mixed-up the color palette completely), and somehow in his fiddling broke the listings for mouse and joystick support.

gem1_vs_3Dland.gif

Gah. I'll include the original Gem1 in the next volume of old VRS games I upload.

I don't know if Acord's "Zapper" is original or not, but fool me once...

Nice VGA color. Sure, it has no textures, but it looks neat and clean. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.