VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been posted before (if it has and you don't see a point in having this thread open, then I apologize), but here it goes.

I know most of you people have a whole assortment of builds with different hardware configurations (i.e. processor generations and graphics card combinations), there are some people who are fine with OS redundancy and there are some who try to cut back on it, I respect that some of you have thresholds on preferred operating systems for each generation of hardware, which brings me to this discussion: What's your opinion and position on OS redundancy? Do you find yourself using the same OS on a fixed generation of hardware and don't mind it or do you like to go crazy and assign different/specific OS/Windows versions on your spare rigs?

As far as my opinion goes: I'm normally open to using different (and sometimes exotic) Windows versions on hardware that some of you usually pick the bog-standard 98 or XP option for. For example: I'm using Windows 95 OSR2.5 (without Active Desktop) on my Celeron-433/Voodoo 2 machine, a system that most of you would choose Windows 98 for, the reasons are that I already have a much more powerful Pentium III Tualatin system for Windows 98 usage, I find 95 a little more stable than 98 (my personal experience), and I haven't ran into a reason to use 98 on the Celeron rig (when and if I do, I'll consider it).

Some of you have been saying that there's no point in using Windows 95/ME/NT/2000/Vista/8 when you can use Windows 98/XP/7/10 instead, which I understand, but I personally find it a fun and enjoyable experience to be open to using the often overlooked Windows versions on my systems mainly because I grew up with some of them and I like seeing how Windows has changed throughout its lifetime.

Reply 1 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am somewhere in between.

Most of my computers are computers that at one point where either primary PCs or "secondary but still frequently used" PCs, which usually means they were either new or almost-new when I bought them. On these PCs I usually install whatever OS I consider most suitable for them at that time, and almost never change that OS.

Currently it includes a 98SE desktop, an XP desktop, a Vista (x64) desktop, a Win7 (x64) desktop, a couple of XP laptops, a Win7/8.1 dual-boot laptop and a Win10 laptop.

On PCs (mostly laptops) that I originally got as "retro rigs" - usually for fun - I sometimes "go nuts" and install operating systems just to learn about how they work and to get some experience with them, just for fun. So right now I have a laptop with WinME and another one dual-booting XP and Win7 32-bit.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 16, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've built & rebuilt systems specifically to mess with OSes I've never tried before (Haiku, AROS, FreeBSD, etc.) and often whatever I'm building will go through a few different software iterations until I find something that works well. With Windows I tend to hold my nose when installing it and I see it as a means to an end, so I'm not too inclined to try every specific version. Any other OS is fair game. Right now in FREQUENT USE (i.e. out of the closet (hah!), set up, and often turned on to do stuff) I have:

3 x Linux Mint (17.3 & 18.3)
1 x Fedora 21
1 x Bodhi Linux
1 x Debian (OSMC)
2 x OS/X Mavericks (will probably backgrade to Mountain Lion & Snow Leopard once Mavericks loses browser support)
2 x OS/X Leopard (PowerPC) (will set up dual boot w/OS9 & Linux on one of these soon)
1 x OS/X Snow Leopard
1 x WinXP (SUPER stripped down install on a 2GB Asus EeePC - that's 2GB storage, not RAM)
1 x Win98SE & Puppy Linux dual-boot (Thinkpad i1460)
1 x FreeDOS 1.1/1.2 hybrid
1 x PC-DOS 2000

Erm, that's a lot of machines now that I tally them all up. So yeah, I definitely don't have a "standard" system I use. For DOS my go-to is FreeDOS though, and for Linux I tend to just grab whatever LTS of Mint is latest.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've actually tried a couple OS's just for the heck of it, including a couple betas, like Neptune and 98 Beta 3. It was definitely an interesting experience, but after having build dozens of old rigs, many will probably start to cut corners when it comes to reinstalling an OS and automate it more.
At some point it can get old setting the time zone and product key for the who knows how often 🤣

I actually experimented quite extensively with MS Batch for ME and using VPC to test out unattended install media for XP. And I mean for months just because I found it so interesting 😁

Experimenting is part of the fun 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I could have a bootloader happy to load all of them, I would. 😜

but right now i'm:

7 = main parts-from-current-decade rig
XP SP3 = secondaries
98/ME + 2000 = the fast old ones
95B = the slow old ones
*bian = things where i can't install Windows out of technical reasons

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My preference:

MS-DOS 6.22 is a must in all my systems that have the ISA slots for my Sound Blaster AWE 32, and the MPU-401 compatible cards. This means it will be installed even on a Pentium III system with ISA slot(s).

Windows 95c is a must in all my systems ranging from the Pentium 133 upto a Pentium III and Windows 98SE in my systems with P4 with i865 chipset. (I know people do not generally like Win95, but I have a nostalgic attachment to it during the CDROM popularity era).

My modern systems all have Windows 10 as the main OS, and also Windows 7 in separate partitions for older games and games or emulators that need proper DirectDraw functionalities.

A flavour of Linux (usually Mint or TinyCore depending on the system) will also be installed in all my more modern systems (P4 and up) in yet, another separate partition.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I do have many OSes in a single rig (i.e. my signature), so does it count?

PS: In the past, I had a rig that is multibootable with around 14 different OSs, including two versions of NT, two versions OS/2, 98, 95, 2000, XP, FreeDOS, three versions of MSDOS, Beos, and several different flavours of Windows (like Revolution 9 and such) 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 16, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there any advantage to using Windows NT 3.51 over NT 4.0 on low-spec machines? NT 4.0 still networks smoothly with Windows 7. Can you also do this with 3.51?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 16, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd run NT4 on anything with a Pentium 133MHz or better with 32MB or more RAM. Otherwise, NT 3.x

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 9 of 16, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For most of my systems, I'd rather shoot for an OS that gives me the most advantages possible, whilst sacrificing "period accuracy" to avoid unnecessary redundancy. For example, why would I install 95C and DOS over 98SE on a Pentium MMX/2/3/4/Athlon XP system when I can just have better out-of-the-box hardware/software compatibility (such as USB HID support), less fiddling with patches (to get critical functions working as they should), same or better performance (that can be further exploited with 98lite) and MS-DOS mode (from 95) as well for those pesky EMS-games?

Similar case for W2k SP4 vs XP SP2. The ability to optimise the latter and run a broader range of software outweighs the vanilla-speed advantage of the former.

I currently like using 98SE dualbooted with XP SP2/3. The former for compability, the latter to overcome 98's sluggish TCP/IP stack every time I want to transfer my games (and play something in the meantime). 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 10 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All my retro systems must have some sort of DOS. "Newer" also some Windows - probably 95c or 98SE or multi-boot with XP.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 11 of 16, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I generally choose between two options:

- Win98SE for anything faster than a 486.
- DOS 6.22 + Win 3.11 for a 486 or Pentium 60.

Win 3.11 might seem pointless for gaming, but I use it for networking. TCP/IP + Total Commander means I can transfer files from my home FTP with ease.

I'm still thinking of putting original Windows 95 on my Pentium 60 just for nostalgia — it was my first OS ever, after all.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 12 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win2k is my favorate OS for Win9x gaming, but as I have about 4 games that have compatability issues I always duel boot with Win98SE

I have 2 486's. One with Dos 6.22/WFW the other Win95 just to mess around with different OS's, like above this is just for file management and networking, all gaming is in dos.

I'm also at that point where I have more computers then I really need. Installing a less popular OS gives me an excuse to keep the PC in my mind 😉

Reply 13 of 16, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Is there any advantage to using Windows NT 3.51 over NT 4.0 on low-spec machines? NT 4.0 still networks smoothly with Windows 7. Can you also do this with 3.51?

Maybe, the main reason some people mention NT 3.51 is that it still has the Program Manager interface found in Windows 3.x and it's compatible with some (or maybe most) of the software that works on Windows 95 and NT 4.0. I have NT 3.51 SP5 on my Pentium 1 rig and NT 4.0 SP6a on my NEC Versa FX laptop, pretty fun to experience forgotten Windows versions indeed.

jheronimus wrote:

Win 3.11 might seem pointless for gaming, but I use it for networking. TCP/IP + Total Commander means I can transfer files from my home FTP with ease.

Yeah, there wern't that many Windows 3.1x-exclusive games out there, so it's more of a hobby/convenience type add-on rather than a gaming platform, what I use WFW 3.11 for is playing around with IE5 16-bit, MS Office 4.3, and some other exotic pieces of software from the Windows 3.x era.

Nathan Lineback has some interesting pages about Windows NT 3.51 and 95 application compatibility on his website, though, I'll say that's part of what inspired me to play around with exotic and forgotten Windows versions:
http://toastytech.com/guis/misc4.html
http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb.html
http://toastytech.com/guis/miscb2.html

Reply 14 of 16, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to dual boot so I could use WinXP as a kind of rescue OS for 98...then I got a hot swap caddy for the HDD and now if I need to rescue the Win98 I just attach the HDD to my Win10 machine using E-SATA and I can fiddle with it, restore partitions, fix the MBR etc. In order of era, my OSs are:

DOS6.22/k6-2
Win98SP3/p3
Win98SP3/athlon-xp
Win98SP3/p4
WinXP/core2duo
Win10/phenom x6

I think it is entirely fun and worthwhile to muck around with less used OSs like some variant of 95 or OS/2...I have done so in the past. But would I use them as a daily driver for retro gaming? No, because I just want to game, and Win98SP3 offers the best platform for Windows gaming from around 1995-2002.

Reply 15 of 16, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use quite a number of different OSs, depending on the purpose, CPU and age of the system, or just to check it out.
List of OSes currently installed on different machines:

x86 OSs
MS DOS 3.3
MS Dos 6.22
DR Dos 3.41
PC DOS (dont know the exact version number)
Novell DOS
Win 3.1
Wfw 3.11
Win 95 OSR2
Win 98SE (Both german and english edition)
Win NT 3.51
Win NT 4.0 (workstation and server)
W2k (professional and advanced server)
Win XP (home and professional, german and english)
Windows Server 2003
Windows 7 professional (32 and 64 Bit)
Windows 10
(skipped ME and Vista by purpose)
Netware 286
Netware 3.2
Netware 4.1
OS/2 Warp 3
SuSe Linux (5.3, 6.1, 10.1)
Debian Linux (Potato and Sarge)
Ubuntu Linux (8.04, 10.04)
Linux Mint (16, 17.1, 18)
CentOS 5.5
SCO Unixware 7.1
AIX 1.3

Non x86 OSs:
MacOS X 10.4
AIX (3.2.4, 4.3.3, 5.3)
HP-UX (9.0, 10.2 (for 800 and 900 series), 11.11)
Solaris 10
Digital Unix

Might have missed a few, and there are others I don´t have currently installed like Xenix 286, XP64, Caldera Linux.

Reply 16 of 16, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Commodore BASIC V2.0 -- Commodore 64
Windows 95C -- Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus w/ DX4-100 OverDrive and 36MB RAM, 2GB CF Card, 52x CD-ROM Drive, Dual floppy drive
Windows 98SE -- Socket 370 build (will upgrade to Socket 754 for better game support), Pavilion N3350 (not installed ATM), Socket 7 system
Windows XP Home/Pro SP3 -- ThinkPad R40, 2 Dell Inspiron 600m (1 needs a new HDD), Socket 754 system, Dell Dimension 4550 (needs a fresh install)
Mac OS X Tiger -- iMac G3/600 Graphite and iMac G4/800
Windows 7 Pro SP1 -- Compaq Presario C700
Windows 10 Pro x64 -- AM3+ build
Lubuntu Linux -- Dell Dimension E510

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser