VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slightly off topic question:

When I play DOS games, old Windows games or do anything else that uses resolutions lower than 800 x 600, I enable "doublescan for lower resolution modes" in the Nvidia driver settings. This makes a massive improvement in picture quality on my CRT monitor. What it does is it simply doubles the resolution, so 640 x 480 becomes 1280 x 960. In 640 x 480 I can see black, horizontal lines in the picture in 1280 x 960 all is fine.

So my question is can ATI cards/drivers do this?

The reason I ask is because I am looking to buy a new graphics card and it might be an ATI. This small detail would definately influence my decision.

THX for the help.

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know there is no such equivalent in the ATI drivers.....

Does this work for DOS games in NTVDM too? Your saying that 320x240 DOS games without using DosBox will be displayed at 640x480 by enabling this Nvidia option?

If you run games in DosBox then you can enable this behavior for any video card because DosBox will scale to whatever you want it to.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does this work for DOS games in NTVDM too? Your saying that 320x240 DOS games without using DosBox will be displayed at 640x480 by enabling this Nvidia option?

Yes, exactly. True, I wouldn't need it for Dosbox, I could just set Dosbox to scale the picture. At the moment I am not doing any scaling with Dosbox, I'm just letting my CRT deal with it. But the feature is also nice for things that run in 640 x 480 like Monkey Island 3 for example which would be unplayable without this setting.[/quote]

Reply 6 of 10, by J.B.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx for the responses guys.

In case anyone is interested I just had a closer look at this feature. I tested 1024 x 768, 800 x 600, 640 x 480 and 320 x 200 applications with doublescan on and off.

The results:

-no effect on 1024 x 768

-800 x 600 is displayed as 1600 x 1200 with doublescan on

-640 x 480 is displayed as 1280 x 960 with doublescan on

-320 x 200 is displayed as 640 x 400 with doublescan off and on

-the setting does not effect DOS games run in native Windows XP (NTVDM) only in Windows applications like Dosbox or Monkey Island 3. In NTVDM 320 x 200 is displayed as 640 x 400 and 640 x 480 is displayed as 640 x 480 regardless of doublescan on or off.

EDIT: made some corrections.

Reply 7 of 10, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't believe the nVidia drivers have this feature in them, at least not in the lastest WHQL 81.94 Forceware drivers. It sounds like a great feature, sharp pixels instead of subpixel sampling. If they do, how do you turn it on?

Reply 9 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great Hierophant: this feature is for CRT monitors only.
And is usefull only for monitors larger than 14".The electron beam drawing a line is too narrow to cover whold surface of a large monitor with for example 400 lines so as a result you see black lines between every displayed lines.

There also should be an option for quadscanning for 200, 240 and 300 lines 🙁

Reply 10 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

by the way it is important to know that with double scanning you need to use lower refreshrates (cause it really uses higher resolutions)

So it is important to lock lower refreshrates in "refresh rate override" section of your Display Property

nVidia has blocked acces to "refresh rate override" section in new versions of their drivers 😠

So you have to gain access to it with this file:

Attachments

• Filename
    refreshrate.zip
    File size
    246 Bytes
    Downloads
    253 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception