What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Announcements, advice, random banter, unrelated discussion, et cetera.

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-3-22 @ 08:56

badmojo wrote:
brostenen wrote:That is roasted potatoes. I am talking about baked. Wrapped in tin foil, and baked in the oven at 200 degree celcius. You can do it on a bond fire as well. Never liked it.


Ah yes I see and you're right. When we were kids we'd throw them into the coals of our bonfire and while they were a fun novelty (because of the fire :evil:) I don't think I ever ate the whole thing.

Butter helps there of course. Butter makes everything better.


Yup. Just add lots of butter with eighter fresh chopped parsil og fresh chopped garlic (or do the whole line of green herbs that fit together). I can still taste the baked potato, even with that. :-D :-D

I am more into stuff were the potato need to be boiled in water first. Plain boiled potato with gravy, mashed potato and stuff like that. Else we do have rice and pasta instead if I want diversity. Mmmmm.... Cold pasta mixed with salad, raw onions, and tuna fish. Just with a twist of crispy bacon. That is good stuff.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby oeuvre » 2019-3-22 @ 13:45

I may or may not have eaten cookies for brekky
Retro PC Intel i5 2500, 8GB RAM, AMD HD7770 1GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
Main Desktop Intel i7 6700K, 32GB, AMD RX580 8GB, NVMe SSD + HD, 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
l33t
 
Posts: 2649
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby henryVK » 2019-4-15 @ 08:30

Since the weather is decidedly fickle here, which is typical for April, I've been having soup.

"Mexican" chicken soup

1 whole chicken
2-3 onions
4-5 carrots
2-3 tomatos
3/4 to 1 cup of basmati rice
1 whole chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 bunch of cilantro
sour cream

For the broth:

Put the chicken in a pot and almost cover in cold water. Split 2-3 carrots lengthwise, quarter the onions and add to the water. Bringt so a boil and cook over medium heat until the chicken is tender for about an hour, depending on the size of the bird. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Remove the carrots and onion using a slotted spoon and toss them out.

For the soup:

Slice carrots and dice tomatoes, chop up the chipotle chile and add them to the broth together with the rice. Add a good spoonful of the adobo sauce if you feel like you want more smoky vinegar flavor! Cook until the carrots are tender but retain some bite and the rice is done. In the meantime desiccate the chicken after it has cooled to a reasonable temperature. Add the chicken to the pot once the veg and rice is cooked, serve with a dollop of sour cream and a handful of chopped cilantro.

This is my favorite soup by far :))
User avatar
henryVK
Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: 2017-12-29 @ 20:26
Location: Europe

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby clueless1 » 2019-4-15 @ 11:27

@henryVK

Thanks for posting that recipe. Sounds delish and similar to a soup my wife makes. I'm saving it to try. BTW, I love the combination of sour cream and cilantro in Mexican dishes. When I make salsa, I will process an entire bunch of cilantro in. Good stuff.
User avatar
clueless1
l33t
 
Posts: 3876
Joined: 2015-12-22 @ 17:43
Location: Midwest US

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby henryVK » 2019-4-15 @ 12:34

You're welcome, clueless!

The recipe's mostly courtesy to my wife, who grew up in the South West and taught me to appreciate Southwestern cuisine. Here in Germany I buy canned chiles (chipotles, hatch) from an Mexican import place and big bunches of cilantro from the Turkish store :)

We're actually doing quesedillas tonight, with pico de gallo/green chile salsa with loads of cilantro. Wish I could go to the States for some proper fish tacos, though!
User avatar
henryVK
Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: 2017-12-29 @ 20:26
Location: Europe

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-4-15 @ 19:38

Are you in a location that you can grow your own tomatillos? Fresh salsa verde is amazing.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6283
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby henryVK » 2019-4-16 @ 06:51

Definitely! We grew tomatoes last year and we also brought back some pablano seeds from the US. Fresh peppers like that are really what's missing in Germany. I'm still planning on putting up a greenhouse to see if you can grow them here. Tomatillos would fit right in there!

I also grew this stuff called Bolivian mountain cilantro last year which I used for salsas along with a bunch of other herbs:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porophyllum_ruderale
User avatar
henryVK
Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: 2017-12-29 @ 20:26
Location: Europe

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-4-16 @ 07:11

Had 2 turkey sandwiches and a Double Burger no onions from McDonald's for my dinner at 1:50AM my timezone (I work nights 4 days a week).
Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from C64 to FX-6300.
User avatar
bjwil1991
l33t
 
Posts: 2386
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: SE, MI USA

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-4-19 @ 19:37

We had bacon wrapped pan roasted chicken breast fillet. I rubbed the chicken with a mix of rosemary, chilli, black pepper and garlic and then wrapped three slices of bacon around each filet. Then roasted them for 25 minutes on a pan at low to medium heat. Turning them each 5 to 10 minutes. To the chicken we had barbeque seasoned french fries and green pepper sauce.

Yesterday we had minched beef hamburgers (the paddy you normally use in burgers), made from high grade meat. (I do not know the english name of this type of minced beef "steaks") Roasted with tons of black pepper. To that we had pasta and cream/mushroom sauce. The sauce was made from roasted mushrooms, full fat heavy cream and tons of black pepper and nuttmeg, then 1/4 clove fresh pressed garlic. Then boiled untill it thinkens it self. Perfect to serve on top of the meat.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-4-20 @ 03:08

brostenen wrote:We had bacon wrapped pan roasted chicken breast fillet. I rubbed the chicken with a mix of rosemary, chilli, black pepper and garlic and then wrapped three slices of bacon around each filet. Then roasted them for 25 minutes on a pan at low to medium heat. Turning them each 5 to 10 minutes. To the chicken we had barbeque seasoned french fries and green pepper sauce.

Yesterday we had minched beef hamburgers (the paddy you normally use in burgers), made from high grade meat. (I do not know the english name of this type of minced beef "steaks") Roasted with tons of black pepper. To that we had pasta and cream/mushroom sauce. The sauce was made from roasted mushrooms, full fat heavy cream and tons of black pepper and nuttmeg, then 1/4 clove fresh pressed garlic. Then boiled untill it thinkens it self. Perfect to serve on top of the meat.


That all sounds delicious! Steaks made with beef mince are called Salisbury Steaks or Hamburg Steaks. Are what you had called Frikadeller?
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6283
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-4-20 @ 08:48

gdjacobs wrote:
brostenen wrote:We had bacon wrapped pan roasted chicken breast fillet. I rubbed the chicken with a mix of rosemary, chilli, black pepper and garlic and then wrapped three slices of bacon around each filet. Then roasted them for 25 minutes on a pan at low to medium heat. Turning them each 5 to 10 minutes. To the chicken we had barbeque seasoned french fries and green pepper sauce.

Yesterday we had minched beef hamburgers (the paddy you normally use in burgers), made from high grade meat. (I do not know the english name of this type of minced beef "steaks") Roasted with tons of black pepper. To that we had pasta and cream/mushroom sauce. The sauce was made from roasted mushrooms, full fat heavy cream and tons of black pepper and nuttmeg, then 1/4 clove fresh pressed garlic. Then boiled untill it thinkens it self. Perfect to serve on top of the meat.


That all sounds delicious! Steaks made with beef mince are called Salisbury Steaks or Hamburg Steaks. Are what you had called Frikadeller?


Not exactly. Frikadeller are minced pork, mixed with egg's, milk, flour, chopped onions and salt/pepper. Then shaped into oval meat balls (using a spoon) and roasted on a pan. Thanks for the information. :-)
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.


Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby henryVK » 2019-4-21 @ 16:46

Grilled some nice Argentinian striploin steaks (rumpsteak for Germans) yesterday with green salad with herb dressing. The dressing is olive oil, vinager and a bunch of herbs from the garden thrown in the food processor.

Today it's leftovers from the other day consisting of potatoes and herring in cream with apple and onion.
User avatar
henryVK
Member
 
Posts: 240
Joined: 2017-12-29 @ 20:26
Location: Europe

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby badmojo » 2019-4-21 @ 23:05

We hosted the family Easter lunch here yesterday, which consisted of a pumped leg of lamb (roasted on the BBQ) a roast chicken (also BBQed), 2 green salads, roast potatoes, and a quiche. Drinking a locally made pacific pale ale, red wine, and Aperol spritz.
If it's broke, then fix it!
User avatar
badmojo
l33t
 
Posts: 3172
Joined: 2011-10-11 @ 04:14
Location: Australia

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-4-22 @ 07:49

badmojo wrote:We hosted the family Easter lunch here yesterday, which consisted of a pumped leg of lamb (roasted on the BBQ) a roast chicken (also BBQed), 2 green salads, roast potatoes, and a quiche. Drinking a locally made pacific pale ale, red wine, and Aperol spritz.


We used to buy Australian lamb in the 1980's here in Denmark, now a days, it is mostly from New Zeland. Strange enough, it is both cheaper and higher quality than our national lamb. I guess it is because of China, as we usually sell the top quality pork, and eat the low grade pork. So my guess is that we have high quality lamb, yet the Chinese buy it instead.

Anyway...
Sounds great. I have never seen a leg of lamb on a BBQ. However, I have seen it being slow-cooked in a cooking-pit. That is a hole dug in the ground, with the inside covered in rocks and a fire been made in it. When it is nice and hot, the fire and all the ash and embers are removed, and packages of meat are being placed in the earth/oven/pit-thing. Then covered with more stones that you have been heating up in the fire and a plate being placed on top. A layer of wet sand, or moist if you like, is being placed on top of the rocks. Then the plate are sealed with wet sand around the edges, and during the next 4 hours, you observe it and seal any holes with wet sand, were steam escapes. The meat are seasoned with whatever herbes you can find in nature, and marinaded with a mix of porter, olive oil, garlic and whatever you like. Wrap it in rubarb leaves and finally some tin-foil before being placed into the hot pit/oven.

As for me...
I usually just use a mix of rosemary, black pepper and a slight pintch of garlic. I so hate it, when all you use are garlic and salt. Taste really bad, as the garlic just dominates everything.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-4-29 @ 15:25

Yesterday I had two cans of baked beans for dinner, with scrambled egg's (3 egg's cooked in butter on the pan). Two big glasses of Coca Cola with it all.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby DaveJustDave » 2019-4-29 @ 17:55

brostenen wrote:Yesterday I had two cans of baked beans for dinner, with scrambled egg's (3 egg's cooked in butter on the pan). Two big glasses of Coca Cola with it all.


you've got your protein, fiber, essential minerals.. sounds like a complete and balanced meal to me!
I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave
User avatar
DaveJustDave
Member
 
Posts: 229
Joined: 2013-10-03 @ 04:00

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-4-29 @ 18:47

DaveJustDave wrote:
brostenen wrote:Yesterday I had two cans of baked beans for dinner, with scrambled egg's (3 egg's cooked in butter on the pan). Two big glasses of Coca Cola with it all.


you've got your protein, fiber, essential minerals.. sounds like a complete and balanced meal to me!


Yup... Only thing missing, were 250 gram of bacon cubes, roasted crispy and the egg's poured on top of it. You know. Scrambled egg's with onboard bacon.

Had this today... Biksemad.
Basically scraps of boiled potatoes, onions and scraps of different kind of meat, all fried together on a pan in butter. With fried egg's on top and soy sauce, poured all over everything. Added some tomato ketchup as well.

Biks.jpg
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-4-29 @ 19:47

We call that a pan scrambler, although soy sauce is an interesting twist.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6283
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: What are you eating/drinking? (the vogons food thread)

Postby brostenen » 2019-4-29 @ 19:58

gdjacobs wrote:We call that a pan scrambler, although soy sauce is an interesting twist.


I guess every culture has this in some form or another. Basically an "Empty the fridge meal". ;-)
You really need to try it with japanese soy sauce. It is so good, and you get the salt at the same time.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.
User avatar
brostenen
l33t++
 
Posts: 5337
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

PreviousNext

Return to Milliways

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests