VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(The last time I did this here in January it went negative. Let's try one more time ... There is a thread over at vcforum if you'd rather chip in there ...)

I have not released an updated mTCP since July 2015. I've got a few bug fixes that I want to distribute, so I'm overdue for for another release. If you have any bug reports or feature requests, now would be the time to let me know.

So far I have the following changes:

• All: Warn about white space on the end of configuration file lines
  • HTGet properly handles chunked encoding
  • HTGet error checking on file writes is vastly improved.
  • HTGet gets a "quiet mode" option
  • HTGet HTTP 0.9 support and misc bug fixes.
  • Telnet outgoing packet handling improvements. (Bug tripped by a telnet BBS sending small packets.)
  • Telnet: Provide a setting to eliminate CGA snow and add a CGA_MONO color palette.
  • IRCjr: Provide a setting to eliminate CGA snow.
  • FTP Server: fix bug when using a sandbox on a whole drive, not just a directory.
  • DHCP: More robust error checking when reading and writing the config files.

HTGet had the most work done; the lack of chunked encoding support was a major screw-up on my part.

I don't have any new programs or big changes planned. SSH and other programs that require SSL are kind of out of scope; they require too many libraries to be back ported and the libraries are too big to re-implement on my own, even if the 4.77Mhz machines that I target could handle the code. I started a Gopher client years ago but there has not been a huge demand for Gopher. ;-0

Here are some of things I am thinking about long term:

• IPv6 is partially in place but that's going to take a while to fully implement.
  • FTP client: A warning when it thinks you are transferring a binary file using ASCII mode.
  • Possible more optional features in the FTP client and server.
  • A program that can image a hard disk over the network. (Think Ghost, but it runs on an XT class machine.)
  • A telnet BBS. I started this years ago and I really should pick it up again.
  • A demo program that plays "8088 Corruption" style video over the network.
  • A stripped down HTTP server that is simpler and smaller.
  • Multiple IRCjr profiles so you can use a different configuration for each IRC network.
  • HTGet cookie support.

Cheers,
Mike

Reply 1 of 9, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

mTCP worked for me, so I don't have any bug reports, but what I miss is NC-like UI for the FTP client. With MS deprecating SMB, FTP seems to be the simplest way of transfering files between old and current machines. The mTCP FTP client worked well for me, but i really miss a UI. I know there is a client like that in DOS Navigator, but I couldn't get it to work.

A Ghost-like program would be great, backing up via network is so much more convenient than using floppies or CD-Rs.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 9, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love your work! Thank you first of all for all of this!

I would like to see ZModem protocol in the telnet program as well. There are many BBSes, that do not support other protocols for file transfers unfortunately and therefore make the combination with mTCP's telnet program useless for download/upload.

Other than that, i would say it's pretty much perfect. Once again, thank you!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've only found one annoyance: FTP client doesn't accept empty password.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 9, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote:

I've only found one annoyance: FTP client doesn't accept empty password.

I've fixed that for the next version.

It was surprisingly difficult to figure out how to create a user with no password on a modern Linux machine. 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

I love your work! Thank you first of all for all of this!

I would like to see ZModem protocol in the telnet program as well. There are many BBSes, that do not support other protocols for file transfers unfortunately and therefore make the combination with mTCP's telnet program useless for download/upload.

Other than that, i would say it's pretty much perfect. Once again, thank you!

Help me understand this - are these BBSes that were designed for serial and are now running over Telnet via a simple "stuff each character into a packet" type converter, or are these BBSes natively speaking TCP/IP and Telnet?

Zmodem has a better feature set than any variant of Xmodem or Ymodem but it is fairly complicated to implement. If I compile Telnet without any file transfer capability it requires 92KB. With Xmodem and Ymodem it requires 115KB; that's a lot for such a simple function. Adding Zmodem would make the program even larger. I can get around that by just shipping different versions of Telnet; a stripped one with no file transfer for a fat one with file transfer. But if you are already running Telnet over IP then firing up an FTP client is the proper way to transfer files.

When I added Xmodem and Ymodem to Telnet I was trying to pay homage to Procomm for DOS; the file upload and download menus should look familiar if you know that program. Xmodem and Ymodem are also fully supported by Linux systems with the rz and sz commands. But really the correct way to transfer files is with FTP. If these BBSes are running TCP/IP natively do they have FTP? If they only support Zmodem and nothing else that's pretty limited, and I don't know if investing a lot of time to support them is worth the effort.

Also, do you know what BBS software they are running?

Reply 6 of 9, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@mbbrutman, for one example, digitaldistortionbbs.com. I believe it's a original BBS converted to use telnet today. It has a huge library of files, yet it doesn't support X/Y modem, only Zmodem...

Is there maybe any possibility to create those modem parts as separate applications and then somehow pipe bits and bytes from telnet client to chosen modem? Then if some modems are not necessary for someone, those can be left out.

I've been playing around with procomm, term95 and even hyperterm over serial cable, emulating hayes modem with my main pc. Though, this is quite complicated setup, compared to the easiness of your tools. 😀

NB! That example has an ftp address as well, if i remember correctly. But it's more fun to do download over X/Y/Z modem, feels more nostalgic. So it's not exactly a functional requirement at least on that example, more like a "really nice to have". 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 7 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most BBS that were brought online and offer access through a web page in addition to the direct telnet connection use fTelnet and HtmlTerm (https://www.ftelnet.ca/) as the browser telnet client. This is what the BBS GigAHerZ mentioned also uses. The thing is that fTelnet supports only YModem-G, are you sure GigAHerZ you're not mixing the protocols?
btw the majority of BBS software has the YModem option, but not all have ZModem and I'm not aware of any being FTP-capable (mind you I'm considering different platforms too and BBS software of the past, not something developed today for Windows and TCP/IP native). I guess that's why the client discussed only supports that, correctly in my opinion.

Reply 8 of 9, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I might have mixed up the BBS. Other one, that had many files was digisoft.club. One of them supported only the Zmodem.

Reply 9 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote:

It was surprisingly difficult to figure out how to create a user with no password on a modern Linux machine. 😀

I use ProFTPD's "anonymous" account, which accepts any password from the client, so entering empty saves keystrokes.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.