VOGONS

First post, by DangrMaus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thought I'd mention this here for any collectors of older titles, or anyone just looking for an original CD copy of Gabriel Knight or Full Throttle, among many others.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … item=8268297353

Thanks!

Maus

Reply 1 of 6, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DangrMaus wrote:

I thought I'd mention this here for any collectors of older titles, or anyone just looking for an original CD copy of Gabriel Knight or Full Throttle, among many others.

I'm not sure I appreciate the following line from your auction:

DangrMaus on Ebay wrote:

If you are at all a fan of older PC gaming then you'll be having to change your underpants after reading that list. If not, then give up on calling yourself oldschool, poser.

I'm pretty sure the whole, "You're not 1337 enough" trend stopped being an effective advertising tool since BBS's with mandatory connect-speeds went the way of the Dodo. Do you also run a forum with an upload/download ratio? OhOh, how about a New User Vote?

Not sure denegrating your potential audience is the way to go. Anyway, that's my two cents.

-Poser

Reply 2 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah. The new word on the street is 'you aren't 668.5 enough.'

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by DangrMaus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, for being so insecure and sensitive that you actually became offended by an Ebay listing questioning your video game devotion. Thats classic!

Anyhow, a very serious thanks to the mods here for not deleting my post. It really is blatant spam, but in my defense, it does pertain to the site somewhat. Also, thanks to anyone of you guys that gave it a quick look. Between this site and the fact that Bluesnews had posted it, (due to the humor that insulted others) it had gotten over 1500 views, and I was able to turn a spindle and 2 boxes of stuff I'll never remember into 60 bucks. Sweet! In all honesty, thats 60 bucks more than I thought I'd get for them.

Oh, and one more thing:

"Not sure denegrating your potential audience is the way to go."

Go tell that to this guy: http://maddox.xmission.com/

Maus

Reply 4 of 6, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow... I think that's an attempt at an "in your face."

Maus, let me make this clear. We're a fun loving bunch here on Vogons. And, I for one, am truly glad your auction went well... really. I dabble on eBay and wish all sellers & buyers the best deal possible.

I looked at your auction and thought your collection of games impressive. It just put me off a little that you had scarcely a post or two on the board (which were the posts advertising the auction itself), and the auction started off with the not-leet-enough strategy, even if it was made in jest.

It's kind of like telling an off-color joke and ribbing the people in a crowd that you just met. It may not have been the joke... just the timing. I'm no saint, either; And I've been caught with foot-in-mouth disease often enough myself.

All that said, I've learned a lot from all the people here and their experiences. This is a great place. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say, "Welcome!" Stick around, join in the banter, and enjoy.

Reply 5 of 6, by DangrMaus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okok, I'm sorry I came off like a jerk. I really did not mean to offend with the auction, yet I sort of did as well.

It's like that site I listed. I was hoping to get more to look at it by being a self-centered ass, ending it with "you're welcome". That way it hopefully increases the possibility of it being passed on through "get a load of this" talk.

And, you got me, I did run a site back when people ran them, but I was against ratios.

Maus

Reply 6 of 6, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Yeah. The new word on the street is 'you aren't 668.5 enough.'

Haha... I like that. "d00d, I wish I could be half as 1337 as you." 😎

...And yes, I did intentionally leave out much of the leet-speek number-for-vowels substitutions to protect the sanity of all parties. 😜